Are we over coached?

It is exactly that.

What I’m seeing now….it has all the hallmarks of the 2nd half of 19/20.

Everything clicked perfectly last season, it endured for a campaign.

But that doesn’t mean you can never be pragmatic.

The first half of 19/20 we were also superb, culminating in the first win at Torbett Towers in a decade (and the only one infront of their hordes).

We came back in January 2020, started badly then kept doing the same things with the same bad results.

Celtic were struggling up to the winter break. Even lennon had the wisdom to change it up. He played Griffiths and Edouard together after the break and they hardly dropped a point (yes we all know Covid cut the season short but we also know the Rangers team that lost at home to Hamilton the week before wasn’t going to win the league).

We romped it last season. It was clear from before the half way point we weren’t being caught. That sort of thing builds an aura of invincibility.

We weren’t great from Jan 2021 but the gap was there, the league was won and that lack of pressure gets you over the line in most game’s when you have better players.

We aren’t gonna be able to rely on that this season
I agree with this and the similarities are there for all to see. I will add that we broke through Hearts lines on numerous occasions today and poor finishing cost us. I don't remember that happening so often back then.

But i am a glass half full type with a really bad memory so could be totally wrong :))

It's almost robotic at times. Not to mention very, very slow. No one breaks the mould. We all know what pass is coming in the next 3 or 4 exchanges. It seems we are coached down to the very detail, there is no freedom in our play.

Is this just down to the style of players we have or has this been instilled in them over the past few years?
Think there is something in this, there was a point in the second half when Lundstrumn broke with the ball and all our team just stayed in our rigid formation, he had to turn back, also thought there were 3 or 4 occasions where the ball broke in front of our back line and we were favourite for it but we retreat back and surrender possession and territory rather than go in for a good old fashioned man and ball tackle. Also think the way we play doesn’t help Alfie, he takes the ball in and there is no one within 15-20yds of him (he was shit today and not sure any tactics / shape would have helped) - our other advanced players should be playing off Alfie’s 1st touch.

My example in support of OP is in our midfielders and forwards prevalence to always seem to look first to playing it out wide to Tav and Borna. That's the first look it seems, and that is a pattern of play and coaching thing I believe.

Today, we looked far better in the instances where we played one or two passes that were a bit cuter, a bit different. We looked far more fluid during those spells than the pass pass out wide then repeat spells.

I don't think we are over coached though. Just tactically very much rigid too often though.

It's almost robotic at times. Not to mention very, very slow. No one breaks the mould. We all know what pass is coming in the next 3 or 4 exchanges. It seems we are coached down to the very detail, there is no freedom in our play.

Is this just down to the style of players we have or has this been instilled in them over the past few years?
Yes agreed.

Is it possible to over coach?

I’m not an expert but it seems we only play one way and if it doesn’t work we just keep plugging away at it. We look to score the perfect goal at time, we have a lot of possession without really doing much with it at times
That’ll be with the exception of Morelos having four or five good chances and Roofe, Wright, Hagi and Aribo, at least, having gilt edge chances to score in either this or the Motherwell game?

Is it possible to over coach?
Yes, I think so.

I get the need for structure and organisation but sometimes we just need to break the mould. Come up with something different and be less monotonous and predictable. We are very easy to play against

Yes, I think so.

I get the need for structure and organisation but sometimes we just need to break the mould. Come up with something different and be less monotonous and predictable. We are very easy to play against
I actually reckon this is a fallacy.
If we were so easy to play against, how do we create so many chances?

Back