Are we over coached?

Galstonian Oranje

Official Ticketer
It's almost robotic at times. Not to mention very, very slow. No one breaks the mould. We all know what pass is coming in the next 3 or 4 exchanges. It seems we are coached down to the very detail, there is no freedom in our play.

Is this just down to the style of players we have or has this been instilled in them over the past few years?

Not when it comes to shooting at goal that's for sure.

However at times I do think we are overly obsessed with keeping possession and trying to play intricate passes around the box when someone should just put their laces through the ball.

We were really good in the first half, that said a lot about what we are capable of, but we do need every player to perform well. One or two players are not at their best right now, and it's costing us, even when our overall play is that good.

No. Remember that most teams we come ip against play all their men behind the ball. This isn't easy to breakdown. More often than not we win. We were slightly unlucky today. On another day we run out comfortable winners. Let's not have a knee jerk reaction. Hearts deserve credit for not giving up today. They are not unbeaten in the league for no reason.

We actually played some really good football today and for a change we looked more willing to put a shot away.
If we'd taken the gilt edged chances we created we'd have won this game comfortably.
This has nothing to do with "over coaching" whatever that actually is, it's all to do with burying the chances that fall to you!

We are dropping points due to individual errors and due to not being clinical in the final third. It has absolutely nothing to do with being overcoached. Our top players have not hit top form for a variety of reasons, it’s been stop start since the season started.
100% spot on. Not enough for some people though who have an insatiable desire to over analyse and come up with 'out of the box' reasons for our form and performances.

I feel we are. A good example is that even if the opposition press right up on us, we still go short out to tav. We never seem to just play the game that presents itself. I don’t think it’s just a problem with rangers though. Most clubs are the same with everything being over analysed by sports science. Sometimes you just need to let players express themselves

1st half today we were excellent, Morelos and Hagi should have had us out of sight

2nd half we were a complete shit show

I would say yes although a well balanced team has to have a couple of players capable of individual brilliance in case the game doesn’t work.
I would say that is the bigger problem

If anyone was at the training session Thursday , every drill was identical to how we look in a game, every pattern of play drill ended in a finish from no further than 6/8 yards out from a cross

If anyone was at the training session Thursday , every drill was identical to how we look in a game, every pattern of play drill ended in a finish from no further than 6/8 yards out from a cross
How does that explain Lundstrams howitzer today then?

All these theories and crazy ideas need to stop

We aren’t winning games because we aren’t scoring goals

Simple

Today actually reassured me. Maybe it's the drinks, but I thought we played some really good stuff and actually looked to me back to the sort of stuff we were playing last season.

If we play like that in every game we'll win far more than we lose. Our top players were missing gilt edge chances but it worried me more when we weren't creating them.

We are dropping points due to individual errors and due to not being clinical in the final third. It has absolutely nothing to do with being overcoached. Our top players have not hit top form for a variety of reasons, it’s been stop start since the season started.
Exactly this. When you miss the chances we did today then you drop points. We are making the chances alright so nothing to do with coaching. Every time we drop points there is this reaction where there is something drastically wrong with the tactics, coaching or whatever when in actual fact its often just plain bad finishing or individual errors at the back.

I think there can be an element of it at times. We are exceptionally well coached most of the time but it can look very machine like and nobody just tries something a bit mental at times until we are chasing a game.

also I’m not saying it’s a bad thing , the op asked are we over coached and I was intrigued to see drills last Thursday and patterns that looked identical to a match
Fair enough but it seemed quite obvious to me that the players have been encouraged to have a shot when the opportunity arose.
Just a pity only one burst the net!

This.

The coaches made the mistakes today imo with the substitutions. They got that all wrong !!

I don’t think so, it’s good for the players to know their role and position 100%. With that being said we could use a bit more individuality, we see it in flashes with Aribo and more so with Kent

I think there can be an element of it at times. We are exceptionally well coached most of the time but it can look very machine like and nobody just tries something a bit mental at times until we are chasing a game.
I watched the PSG game last night and it was almost identical to what we have to put up with every game, play endless passes in the last third trying to find a breakthrough on a stubborn defence!
It's not pretty on the eye and it's difficult to find a way through but that's the way it is for teams trying to break down teams that just dig in.
It takes an act of individual brilliance to break that barrier and we have that in abundance but it still needs a bit of talent/luck/flair to eventually hit the back of the net.
Today our luck run out with International players unable to finish off some great moves!

Don’t know if it’s overdone but I think our tactics after going a goal up is asking for trouble. How long will it take Beale to accept you need to be at least a couple of goals up before you ease off?

No. Just very predictable. All the one two tippy tappy stuff around the box does my nut in. It's like no one wants to take responsibility. We do often get to the by line but never cut it back ( a basic move taught at school boy level ) but always try to pass it through 3 defenders often to no avail. We need more shots like Lundstams today.

It's almost robotic at times. Not to mention very, very slow. No one breaks the mould. We all know what pass is coming in the next 3 or 4 exchanges. It seems we are coached down to the very detail, there is no freedom in our play.

Is this just down to the style of players we have or has this been instilled in them over the past few years?
Pep’s sides are probably the most well drilled teams in Europe, works for him!

Did you watch the game today? We could have scored 6. Over coached, give us some of what you’ve been smoking.

If certain players had there shooting boots on we would be 9 clear without breaking sweat so if that translates as is being over coached you clearly don’t have a clue

Did you watch the game today? We could have scored 6. Over coached, give us some of what you’ve been smoking.

If certain players had there shooting boots on we would be 9 clear without breaking sweat so if that translates as is being over coached you clearly don’t have a clue
Yes, I was there. It's not only about today's game though.

Your train of thought belongs in the "winning ugly" or "ah but we're still top threads".

Ive always believed Scottish football, with all its quirks and uniqueness, is more about pragmatism than anything else.

To be wedded to a “system”, to adhere to a “philosophy”….

Come on, this isn’t the realm of Pep’s Barcelona or the totaal voetbal of Ajax Amsterdam.

In our country, Rangers just have to win. Does that set us back from our loftier ambitions in competing with the cream? Probably.

But it is what you need to do as Rangers manager. You need to win. Nobody will thank you for implementing your “philosophy” when you drop points at home to Motherwell and Hearts

Ive always believed Scottish football, with all its quirks and uniqueness, is more about pragmatism than anything else.

To be wedded to a “system”, to adhere to a “philosophy”….

Come on, this isn’t the realm of Pep’s Barcelona or the totaal voetbal of Ajax Amsterdam.

In our country, Rangers just have to win. Does that set us back from our loftier ambitions in competing with the cream? Probably.

But it is what you need to do as Rangers manager. You need to win. Nobody will thank you for implementing your “philosophy” when you drop points at home to Motherwell and Hearts
I agree. When things aren't going well, it's seems to be let's to Plan A better.

Last edited:
One of the reasons is we have Alfie nowhere near the penalty box. So many times today we had 2 people in the box despite dominating possession and going round and round switching play. It’s not working.

Yes, I was there. It's not only about today's game though.

Your train of thought belongs in the "winning ugly" or "ah but we're still top threads".
How does it? Your characterising my post nowhere have I mentioned winning ugly or were still top I say it as I see it

I agree. When things are going well, it's seems to be let's to Plan A better.

It is exactly that.

What I’m seeing now….it has all the hallmarks of the 2nd half of 19/20.

Everything clicked perfectly last season, it endured for a campaign.

But that doesn’t mean you can never be pragmatic.

The first half of 19/20 we were also superb, culminating in the first win at Torbett Towers in a decade (and the only one infront of their hordes).

We came back in January 2020, started badly then kept doing the same things with the same bad results.

Celtic were struggling up to the winter break. Even lennon had the wisdom to change it up. He played Griffiths and Edouard together after the break and they hardly dropped a point (yes we all know Covid cut the season short but we also know the Rangers team that lost at home to Hamilton the week before wasn’t going to win the league).

We romped it last season. It was clear from before the half way point we weren’t being caught. That sort of thing builds an aura of invincibility.

We weren’t great from Jan 2021 but the gap was there, the league was won and that lack of pressure gets you over the line in most game’s when you have better players.

We aren’t gonna be able to rely on that this season

Back