Are we too nice to be champs?

The problem is that it's too early to answer the question you are asking.
Also if the answer is "yes" then there's nothing we can do about it.

You've not given that much thought, surely?
You considered replacing players? We could bring in Edmundson, Docherty, and/or Polster to name only three? Then there's Flanagan and King.
The thing here is our fragility effectively invites the thing we are still not good at handling, namely hoofba'.
We need to discourage our opponents from that view.
It's a managerial issue, they have to find the balance and IMHO it's crying out for big George.

Last edited:
I can remember Stuart McColl saying that the 9iar team were told to forget the nambi pambi stuff for the first 20mins of every game .Let your immediate opponent know you are up for it and will go toe to toe and more.He said you could visibly see their opponents shoulders slump when they realised a team full of better players had their working gear on.Compare that to our first 25mins yesterday.Ive just watched it again and it was worse than I even thought

I can remember Stuart McColl saying that the 9iar team were told to forget the nambi pambi stuff for the first 20mins of every game .Let your immediate opponent know you are up for it and will go toe to toe and more.He said you could visibly see their opponents shoulders slump when they realised a team full of better players had their working gear on.Compare that to our first 25mins yesterday.Ive just watched it again and it was worse than I even thought
Oldest saying in football you have to earn the right

Nah, I can't say I see that at all.

McGregor, Jack, Katic, Morelos, Kent, Flanagan, Arfield, Goldson...

Mind Arfield literally took the piss out of Brown to his pus.... mind that dead ball....

Kent actually punched a player in the pus.... like on a park, he took the decision to belt someone in the face.

We have a core of right horrible bastards

I want players to go into 50/50`s convincingly, i want players to tackle with gusto and strength. I do not want dirty bastards throughout the 11 but we need that fear in the squad.
Yesterday that big numpty striker of theirs bullied every one he came near, not one glove was laid on him by us, nullify him that takes their game-plan and flushes it down the lavvy, im not saying injure him but somebody needed to give him a reminder.
In my opinion it’s almost the opposite, I think we got to grips after 20-25 with great big lump and hearts generally yesterday, we just forgot to play going forward

Our first dropped points away from home so far!

why wait for yesterday to happen before sharing your concerns about our away form?

our ‘away form’ isn’t the issue. The issue is our captain landing us in it consistently!
I've been concerned with our away form, yes we were getting the wins until Sunday but St Johnstone aside have we even scored from open play away from home? Now I'd take winning with set pieces every week but just dont think that's sustainable. Agree tav has been rank rotten lately though.

Nah, I can't say I see that at all.

McGregor, Jack, Katic, Morelos, Kent, Flanagan, Arfield, Goldson...

Mind Arfield literally took the piss out of Brown to his pus.... mind that dead ball....

Kent actually punched a player in the pus.... like on a park, he took the decision to belt someone in the face.

We have a core of right horrible bastards

I agree with this. Not many opposition players go within a yard of Greegsy for fear of being halved in two, and I wouldn't mess with Goldson or expect to flatten the Buffalo. However, we also have some flair players and they always seem to be in for the treatment.

What I cannot get my head round is Gerrard has spoken repeatedly about this but continues to pick the same players who either cannot or will not start on the front foot.
He absolutely must stop trusting these players. It reminds me of Jig regularly coming out declaring 'that was our wake-up call'. Usually before they served up another dose of the same insipid shite.

Honestly felt Gerrard had sorted out the mentality issue. It's mostly gone, but you simply cannot account for a player continually doing gaffe after gaffe, and it resulting in goals for the opposition every time and expect said player to be ok mentally.

It needs sorted.
Perhaps he has sorted out the mentality thing only time will tell , but when your captain makes yet another schoolboy error so early in the game maybe that sets a tone.

If we beat Porto, it could do wonders for belief among all.

Massive scalp
We struggle away in Edinburgh, Paisley and Livingstone.....I have a funny feeling Portugal isn't gonna be quite as 'easy' as those places.
We'll be under pressure and 'shitting oor breeks' all night.

I want players to go into 50/50`s convincingly, i want players to tackle with gusto and strength. I do not want dirty bastards throughout the 11 but we need that fear in the squad.
Yesterday that big numpty striker of theirs bullied every one he came near, not one glove was laid on him by us, nullify him that takes their game-plan and flushes it down the lavvy, im not saying injure him but somebody needed to give him a reminder.
Made him look better than he is.

You've not given that much though, surely?
You considered replacing players? We could bring in Edmundson, Docherty, and/or Polster to name only three? Then there's Flanagan and King.
The thing here is our fragility effectively invites the thing we are still not good at handling, namely hoofba'.
We need to discourage our opponents from that view.
It's a managerial issue, they have to find the balance and IMHO it's crying out for big George.

In all fairness we have played 9, won 7, drawn 1 and lost 1.
Away from home we have played 4, won 3, drawn 1.

In most seasons this is title winning form.
A lot of titles are won from "grinding out results" and that's what we are doing.

It's like we are trying to second guess a problem that we don't full understand the extent, or even existence of.

Are we really suggesting that the changes you have suggested there takes our 10 points out of 12 away from home so far and turns it into 12?

Does anyone here really expect that the season would consist of 19 perfect away performances with 19 matching away victories?

I don't think the reaction to a single draw away from home should be met with "maybe we are too nice so let's start replacing players".

After 9 games we are sitting on 22 out of 27 points.
I don't know if that's worthy of praise but it certainly feels like we are moving in the right direction.

I don't think the reaction to a single draw away from home should be met with "maybe we are too nice so let's start replacing players".

It's not just that, that's far too simplistic. You may choose to frame it like that but you're then ignoring a regular flaw in our game. With the captain it's a response to several recent inexplicable and game-changing brain-farts plus his form falling off a cliff. It's also a response to teams like Livingston and Hearts, who we really should be imposing our game on, using physical superiority to prevent us doing that. It's exploring what could be done to reduce the likelihood of that approach giving us problems.
Professional football, moreso here, demands that you meet and defeat the physical challenges and then you can play your game.
Re. our form so far. Yes, the results have been very good but the flaw mentioned above has been evident to the extent we've got away with it a few times.

ps - you no longer believe this "The problem is that it's too early to answer the question you are asking.
Also if the answer is "yes" then there's nothing we can do about it."?

Last edited:
If we don't win the title the only reason will be we are simply not good enough.

The manager has to do better with his team selections. For me SG, will more often than not, select Ojo and Aribo in his starting 11 despite both being far from impressive for a long time. We are not that good that we can win games a man short, nevermind 2, as was the case on Sunday with them.

Back