Are you enjoying the women's World Cup?

Enjoying it?

• Enjoyable

Votes: 119 26.8%
  • Mince

Votes: 325 73.2%

• Total voters
VAR is becoming a fucking joke.

Norwegian girl kicks the ball clear and her follow through - because that’s what happens when you kick, your leg follows through - hits the French girl who comes in late.

Penalty.

Defenders may as well stay in the house.

I can’t wait for next season when the whole thing gets abandoned after the Premier League fans shit all over it.

VAR is becoming a fucking joke.

Norwegian girl kicks the ball clear and her follow through - because that’s what happens when you kick, your leg follows through - hits the French girl who comes in late.

Penalty.

Defenders may as well stay in the house.

I can’t wait for next season when the whole thing gets abandoned after the Premier League fans shit all over it.

even the commentator said it wasn't intentional... how can it be a penalty if it wasn't intentional? at worst an indirect free kick maybe...

basically the way football is now, you dont actually have to do anything to give away a penalty and get a yellow card, its absurd

It's not though. Our development squad and our reserves have had an absolutely terrific year and we've had match threads relating to both - eg The Alkass Tournament, The HK Soccer 7s and the Glasgow Cup final. I am sure there have been others.

In all of those there's been decent banter, some insightful comments and a general sense of enjoying what teams are doing at the level they are playing at. At no point have I ever heard, 'Aye but they're shite compared to Rangers' big team' and this is right.

Yet when it comes to women's football? The same group of posters are giving it the old 'three irons on their shirt' tripe. I can only concluded they are either VLs or actually henpecked and say stuff they'd never repeat at home.

If we can enjoy development football we can equally enjoy women's football.
Well I can say that I'm enjoying tonight's game. Full stadium and a cracking atmosphere

It's not VAR that makes that a ridiculous decision, it's the person who decides it is.

It's like blaming a car for a drunk driver.

Feel for Norway like i did Scotland on Sunday. No way were any of the two incidents penalties and although i like VAR someone needs to get a grip with how football has always been played.

It's not VAR that makes that a ridiculous decision, it's the person who decides it is.

It's like blaming a car for a drunk driver.
VAR - Video Assistant Referee

A team of 3 people who make the decision, not a machine, that it needs to be looked at -
ie they think it’s a penalty.

VAR is a person.

my wife wants too know why 'real woman's sport' (her words) like hockey and netball, barely get a mention apart from at the Olympics, she has never had any interest in football and has no intention watching any of the games.
I take the point about The BBC and equating the WWC to 'the' WC is clearly daft. Your Mrs is half right about women's sports. Men's hockey is even more superior to women's hockey than football is and we only had a wee bit of coverage since the women's hockey team won Olympic gold in Rio. The gulf between the male and female games, though, is absolutely massive.

I am pretty sure that netball is the only women's sport with no male equivalent and I;d certainly like to see more coverage seeing as my 17 yo plays county netball and I have been to dozens of netball matches and tournaments (both with her and her big sister) over the years and enjoyed every one.

I think the point I was making was just enjoy what you're watching and let's encourage our lassies to play sport and try and back-throttle on comments such is 'it's not like the man's game' or any variant of 'don't they have some man's tea to make'.

basically defenders now need to think before they kick the ball anywhere in the box, just in case an opponent lunges in on you as you kick it... you are now liable if the opponent gets hurt, even if it was the opponent that causes it!

ezgif-4-b2c74f6af944.gif

I take the point about The BBC and equating the WWC to 'the' WC is clearly daft. Your Mrs is half right about women's sports. Men's hockey is even more superior to women's hockey than football is and we only had a wee bit of coverage since the women's hockey team won Olympic gold in Rio. The gulf between the male and female games, though, is absolutely massive.

I am pretty sure that netball is the only women's sport with no male equivalent and I;d certainly like to see more coverage seeing as my 17 yo plays county netball and I have been to dozens of netball matches and tournaments (both with her and her big sister) over the years and enjoyed every one.

I think the point I was making was just enjoy what you're watching and let's encourage our lassies to play sport and try and back-throttle on comments such is 'it's not like the man's game' or any variant of 'don't they have some man's tea to make'.

and thats why I won't put it down, its a sport, women play lots of types of sport, it doesn't make it wrong for them to play football, I just think that the new hype that the BBC is doing has irritated many men... :D

by the way, it will be interesting when/if women start demanding equal pay... :D

female English players playing to a few hundred every week getting paid £100k a week will be fun :D

VAR - Video Assistant Referee

A team of 3 people who make the decision, not a machine, that it needs to be looked at -
ie they think it’s a penalty.

VAR is a person.

When people cite and criticise VAR it's not the referees they're having a go at; it's the idea of the technology themselves.

So when you cite VAR as a joke what you're really saying is that the refs are a joke, not the technology.

EPL fans will probably do less shitting over it if the decisions are correct. In this case the referees have got it wrong.

So far...Mince but will Will watch the remaining Scotland group games and then the later stages. If it gets girls interested in the game and exercising then great but it makes a nonsense to think the Chelsea Women's coach would be considered for the men's team from what I've seen.
Would Being a female youth boys coach and excelling be a better pathway to management surely?
Perve:D

how tall is that French girl Renard? lol she is towering over the Norwegians..

I think she was the one who scored the OG as well

I just googled the US women's football team for the very sexist reason that I wanted to have a swatch at the one who scored five goals as she was getting good perving reviews. On the page were some SM comments from obviously influential female commenters, one said that the 13-0 victory basically meant that women deserved equal football pay to men. That's what's irritating. I enjoyed the game tonight and agree that we shouldn't sneer but to try to equate it with the men's game is nonsense.

If we can enjoy development football we can equally enjoy women's football.

Development football offers a chance to see young players who could potentially be stars of the first team in the future. Even then, they typically draw much smaller crowds than the first teams.

The women's WC games are the pinnicle of women's football, and they are still poor. Add to that the desperate attempts to force-feed it to the audience - along with a side of angry gender politics (and in the case of the US team at least, the political greviances of the players) - and you have an unappealing product.

and thats why I won't put it down, its a sport, women play lots of types of sport, it doesn't make it wrong for them to play football, I just think that the new hype that the BBC is doing has irritated many men... :D

by the way, it will be interesting when/if women start demanding equal pay... :D

female English players playing to a few hundred every week getting paid £100k a week will be fun :D

Already happening the Norwegian girl hasn't played for them for 2 years due to the inequality between men and women's football in Norway. Pretty sure hope solo has been banging on about equal pay

There was a var decision last night at the u20s semi final. 5 were offside,even the commentator seen it while the ball was crossed in. Why they had to have a check and hold up the game for a minute,I'll never know

I just googled the US women's football team for the very sexist reason that I wanted to have a swatch at the one who scored five goals as she was getting good perving reviews. On the page were some SM comments from obviously influential female commenters, one said that the 13-0 victory basically meant that women deserved equal football pay to men. That's what's irritating. I enjoyed the game tonight and agree that we shouldn't sneer but to try to equate it with the men's game is nonsense.

Is it equal pay with the US Men's team she was talking about? If so, she's correct - they should have given how big the women's team is here.

If she was talking about men's football in general then I agree, it's an inane argument.

The women's WC games are the pinnicle of women's football, and they are still poor. - and you have an unappealing product.
I am distancing myself from the gender politics and PC bias and looking at a game of football on its own terms and to say the product is unappealing is, frankly, wrong.

A few of us watched France vs Norway tonight. It was as an enjoyable watch. Loads of commitment and plenty of skill. What's not to like about it?

Is it equal pay with the US Men's team she was talking about? If so, she's correct - they should have given how big the women's team is here.

If she was talking about men's football in general then I agree, it's an inane argument.

any idea how much the men in us soccer get paid?

I don't get that logic. Are they saying a mens team wouldn't score 13?

any idea how much the men in us soccer get paid?

For the national team in 2015, for example, the men made $5,000 per appearance and an additional $8,166 per win, while the women made $3,600 per appearance, and an additional $1,500 per win.

I don't think that's changed dramatically. There was also discrepancies in the per diem - $75 for men, $60 for women - and in promotional appearances, $3750 for men and $3k for women.

The US Federation have countered the claims saying there are other monies paid to women that are higher.

The highest tv audience for football in the US was the women's World Cup Final in 2015 - 23 million.

For the national team in 2015, for example, the men made $5,000 per appearance and an additional $8,166 per win, while the women made $3,600 per appearance, and an additional $1,500 per win.

I don't think that's changed dramatically. There was also discrepancies in the per diem - $75 for men, $60 for women - and in promotional appearances, $3750 for men and $3k for women.

The US Federation have countered the claims saying there are other monies paid to women that are higher.

The highest tv audience for football in the US was the women's World Cup Final in 2015 - 23 million.

is women's club football massive in the USA? what sort of attendances do they get?

Seen some right bloopers and dodgy VAR decisions today.

That France penalty, their player jumps in two footed so right away that should have been the end of it, the defender then gets clear contact on the ball but because the opponent has jumped in to block she gets caught with the follow through. How the ref can interpret that as a penalty is beyond me and she has clearly bottled it even after watching VAR.

The offside in an earlier game also looks onside to me but they come up with a line that doesn't look right to show she was marginally off.

Seen some right bloopers and dodgy VAR decisions today.

That France penalty, their player jumps in two footed so right away that should have been the end of it, the defender then gets clear contact on the ball but because the opponent has jumped in to block she gets caught with the follow through. How the ref can interpret that as a penalty is beyond me and she has clearly bottled it even after watching VAR.

The offside in an earlier game also looks onside to me but they come up with a line that doesn't look right to show she was marginally off.

If that was the korea one they said her shoulder was offside and what a great decision it was by the linesman. Her shoulder. Now unless the linesman has some superhuman vision I'm going to go with the fact she fucked up.

Great game at the moment, Brazil 2-3 Australia, the Aussies coming back from two down. And there's been two VAR controversies - a penalty given to Brazil which was extremely harsh on the Aus; and Australia's 3rd goal which could have been called offside.

It's not garbage,you can see they're fit athletic trying too do the right things but there's something missing,
Don't know if it's the pace the physicality but I recon a decent under 19s boys team would beat most of them.

Great game at the moment, Brazil 2-3 Australia, the Aussies coming back from two down. And there's been two VAR controversies - a penalty given to Brazil which was extremely harsh on the Aus; and Australia's 3rd goal which could have been called offside.

It was 100% offside.

If the Australian burd hadn't gone for the ball, the Brazilian wouldn't have been under pressure when heading it. Terrible decision from the officials.

It's not garbage,you can see they're fit athletic trying too do the right things but there's something missing,
Don't know if it's the pace the physicality but I recon a decent under 19s boys team would beat most of them.
U-19s is stretching it a bit, as has been mentioned numerous times - mostly as a means of mocking the women’s game - the US and Australian women’s teams were thrashed by U-15 boys sides.

They really need to consider shortening the dimensions of the pitch as well as maybe making it 40mins a half. This would improve the product no end and make it more exciting - but in polite PC society you’d be howled at for suggesting such

Watching the China game and I don't want to be disrespectful but have they just picked most of these guys off the street a few days before the tourney started?

Oh and the number 10 for China is defo a bloke

U-19s is stretching it a bit, as has been mentioned numerous times - mostly as a means of mocking the women’s game - the US and Australian women’s teams were thrashed by U-15 boys sides.

They really need to consider shortening the dimensions of the pitch as well as maybe making it 40mins a half. This would improve the product no end and make it more exciting - but in polite PC society you’d be howled at for suggesting such
I couldn't argue with that I've not watched enough of it tbh,
I've been impressed with some of it but at times it seems lacking in something,The goalies are poor.
Not mocking the game found what I've watched quite entertaining .

Haven't watched much but one thing I've liked is the woman just get on with things , no arguing with refs , no 10 rolls when going down , no being down for 5 minutes after a tackle, haven't seen a physio on the park once.

After the USA woman's team won the World Cup they played Dallas FC's boys Under 15 side and got skelped 5-2. The best woman's team in the world would get skelped by any Scottish clubs under 19 side. That's their level. A decent men's pub team would win the woman's World Cup

After the USA woman's team won the World Cup they played Dallas FC's boys Under 15 side and got skelped 5-2. The best woman's team in the world would get skelped by any Scottish clubs under 19 side. That's their level. A decent men's pub team would win the woman's World Cup

I had this conversation with a female at work. She went nuts calling me sexist when I suggested I could round up 11 blokes who could beat the England women's side. I honestly believe I could.

Back