Arena AufSchalke - A tribute to coal mining history

The last mine officially shut around Dec/Jan time and the club marked the event with a special pre match display

Went there in 2017 in the Cup v Cologne and they did a big display dedicated to all of that, was very impressive. Well worth a trip and try and stand, have a few bars in the home end.

Doesn't show it on there too well but the screens had all these videos of historic mining stuff on them etc... and the song must be some kind of tribute to them or Club anthem.

Celtc wanted to do the same Tunnel makeover but were turned down due to their historical abuse of minors
gettyimages-1610862jpg.jpg

Great atmosphere there, superb stadium. Got tickets for the Chelsea end when they played them in the champions league a few years ago, even though Chelsea won 5-0 they still backed their team

I remember going to their old bowl of a stadium on a freezing Sunday night v Bayern Munchen in the early 90s and being impressed with so many aspects.

I had spent several years watching Dortmund and loved their Westfalen stadium and their support.
However there was something special about Schalke and the city of Gelsenkirchen. It definitely revolved around it being a working class big city with a working class support. The price revolves around that sentiment also as I am sure it was around 8 Deutschmark.

They are a special club as Dortmund are in my experience.

Back