Arfield as the 3rd central midfielder

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
He has to play there , you want the proof ? Ok , his form last season here in Scotland and Europe , he linked our midfield to front much better than anybody that has since been in that position , esp Aribo

more proof , he had played there twice this season and guess what , we as a team scored 10 goals

he is wasted as a front 3 player. I can understand if we are short of numbers but facts are facts , he is better as an attacking central midfielder

the very short international break has affected his form along with being played in a position that doesn’t suit him.

SPL is the priority, I’m hoping he gets rested on Thursday and comes back for Motherwell on Sunday... as the attacking 3rd central midfielder

He has to play there , you want the proof ? Ok , his form last season here in Scotland and Europe , he linked our midfield to front much better than anybody that has since been in that position , esp Aribo

more proof , he had played there twice this season and guess what , we as a team scored 10 goals

he is wasted as a front 3 player. I can understand if we are short of numbers but facts are facts , he is better as an attacking central midfielder

the very short international break has affected his form along with being played in a position that doesn’t suit him.

SPL is the priority, I’m hoping he gets rested on Thursday and comes back for Motherwell on Sunday... as the attacking 3rd central midfielder
It’s certainly where he damaged Sellick from in 2 OF games last season , directly against there captain

These intl games seem to ruin him. Probably needs a week off after intl games to recover. Offered nothing today.

He was never as good as one of the midfield 3 either.

His best position was one of 2 behind the striker.

He fights and drives on from that position , Kamara and Aribo can’t do that
As I mentioned in another thread, today's scrap away from home in the SPFL was the sort of match that young McCrorie excelled in.
His game is all about driving his more technically gifted teammates forward and getting stuck into a physical side who have only a 'battle' as a plan.
But you are probably right about Arfield being better employed deeper in certain games.
However, when he returns from international duty, I would leave him on the bench as he always looks knackered.

We've a real problem. Arfield has to be shoehorned in some where and the other options in midfield - Jack and Davis aside, aren't producing.

I think by year 4 of his contract we'll be counting down the days until he's off the books.

Huge wages for very little return.

On current form, he should be nowhere near the team.

He needs dropped asap.It,s harming us by him continually getting a start amongst others.

I just think at times he can be so ineffective and offers very little in either the midfield or forward roles and he is very easily replaceable. Seems to be because he is reliable and works hard that automatically makes him a Gerrard favorite and an automatic pick.

I'd drop him completely for the time being.

I don’t know why he consistently gets a start, I don’t know what the manager is seeing that he provides ( this season) and I don’t know why so many on here hold him in such high regard.
Take the end of last season out of it, for me he isn’t good enough to take us forward.

He's absolutely woeful 25 yards and in from goal. His shooting and decision making is garbage. He takes too many extra touches, either that or trying to step over/dummy the ball and rarely threads through a defence splitting ball.

Constantly lost headers and was second best in challenges today. Offered nothing in a creative sense and was anonymous for long spells.

His performances this season have not been good enough but like Goldson and Tavernier, is undroppable.

Arfield in his current form should not start.
He's been a yard short all season.

All day long ,Kamara is a joke in there as is Aribo ,when will Gerrard learn its a fkcn battle at places like Swinecastle

These intl games seem to ruin him. Probably needs a week off after intl games to recover. Offered nothing today.

In fairness, he didn't go away in September for the internationals. But save for one or two appearances this season, he has been just that half yard less sharp. He's almost getting in great positions, but just misses out on making that killer contribution. The last two months of last season (when there was no international football), he makes the pass, or scores the goal.

Playing through the summer has negatively impacted his season. Can't get away from that. He will compete and battle for you and has a great attitude, but the latter can work against him - choosing to come back after almost no time off after the Gold Cup.

There is a responsibility on Gerrard to manage him better too.

I don’t know if Arfield is the problem here. Our midfielders all look much the same to me, tidy neat players who can make an accurate short pass, but lack toughness and presence. Arfield has a bit more grit I suppose but we really need a midfield dynamo/scrapper in there. This would allow the others to play a bit.

in midfield vs aberdeen he was excellent, i don't like him in that forward position. he looks confused at times when he plays there.
That's the impression that I get. He and Aribo both didn't seem to know where the were meant to be playing.

He's absolutely woeful 25 yards and in from goal. His shooting and decision making is garbage. He takes too many extra touches, either that or trying to step over/dummy the ball and rarely threads through a defence splitting ball.

Constantly lost headers and was second best in challenges today. Offered nothing in a creative sense and was anonymous for long spells.

His performances this season have not been good enough but like Goldson and Tavernier, is undroppable.
I am struggling to think of one game this season that he has played that he has done anything exceptional on the park

That's the impression that I get. He and Aribo both didn't seem to know where the were meant to be playing.
Aribo too far away from the edge of the D for me. he is capable of shooting from distance but ain't using that skill/isn't being utilised correctly

He's playing were Candeias should be playing.
might regret selling IMO look at Tav's performances he's not been good and i don't think it's any coincidence since Candeias left Tav's form has been all over the place the only thing Pedro got right.

A midfield of Davis, Kamara and Aribo was always a risk against a Hearts team who fire long balls to Ikpeazu and then fight for the 2nd ball.

The best our midfield has looked is with Arfield in there (like vs Aberdeen).

Aribo looks a really classy player & great prospect but is toiling in our midfield. His positioning is all wrong & the midfield doesnt feel like a cohesive unit with him in there

Doesn't have the pace to play in the front 3, so dropping him further back wouldn't be the worst idea.

He doesn't have the pace, ability, creativity or end product to play in there. His passing has been absolutely woeful. There are very few goals or assists in Arfield or Ojo so that makes them pointless in the roles they are playing.

I don’t think Arfield is one of our best 11 players. He shouldn’t be an automatic first pick in any position.

This is more like it.

No square pegs in round holes. No players “earning” game time through past performances or reputation.

Play the guys who are on form. Arfield has been dire for weeks. Ojo much the same.

He doesn't have the pace, ability, creativity or end product to play in there. His passing has been absolutely woeful. There are very few goals or assists in Arfield or Ojo so that makes them pointless in the roles they are playing.

No end product? He scored 11 goals in 29 league games last season.

Nobody does hyperbole on here quite like you which is saying something.

Back