Arfield - time up?

Impact sub for rest of season then depart in the summer.

We want to actually win the league next season, hence the dire need for a clearout and reset in the summer.

No room for sentiment when it comes to trying to win league titles. We are way, way past that.
If we want to win the league then we could do with having players capable of scoring two stoppage time goals at Pittodrie to win us games.

We'll keep seeing threads like this anytime his game involvement is low - then he'll pop up with an important match winning or equalizing goal from the bench and then we'll have threads that he deserves another year, because he's an important player to have in those situations.

And so on and so on.

We'll keep seeing threads like this anytime his game involvement is low - then he'll pop up with an important match winning or equalizing goal from the bench and then we'll have threads that he deserves another year, because he's an important player to have in those situations.

And so on and on.

Only posted because last night wasn't a one off. He has barely played for weeks now.

Love the guy and have no doubts he'll have a big moment yet.

Arfield has been a good signing for us bearing in mind we got him on a free from Burnley. For me he is now an impact player that you bring on with 20 minutes or so left in a game. His game time will be reduced significantly next season barring any injuries to the younger players coming in but I would still be inclined to offer him a year extension as a squad filler and back up type player.

Surely too young to retire just yet?

Then again maybe he is kind of guy who would rather end career at club he loves than go elsewhere.

Kind of guy I'd love to see around the club after retiring because his positivity and attitude is second to none.
Beale has pretty much said the same - loves having him around the place,wants to have him here.

He’s still got plenty to offer as a player,If he’s happy to be an impact sub he might get another year if he’s looking for more game time i’m sure he will be in demand,Suppose it will depend on our summer signings we might not even need him as an impact sub.

If we want to win the league then we could do with having players capable of scoring two stoppage time goals at Pittodrie to win us games.
These two goals seem to have rocketed him to some sort of level which is not necessarily representative of his time here. Just because he gets those two goals does not justify a new contract for next season.

In perspective, he has been part of the 'old guard' who, in 5 seasons, have only won 2 trophies and failed us many times when it mattered.

That needs to change. It simply not a good enough return and personnel needs changing.

"Letting go" seems to be a bizarre problem within our support.

I think Arfield is a great player to have around the club. As mentioned already he is more of an impact sub but he has so much to offer. He'll get goals and when the opposition have been tired out his movement is going to take advantage. I'd love Arfield to stick around for another year.

Still got a role to play this season off the bench but I’m more doubtfully he will get another year given our January signings.

Been a great servant,

Why do you think it means his time is up?

Maybe there’s other reasons for it

Our squad has just added two quality midfielders and Hagi back fit as well. Lawrence to come.

Scott has been struggling for game time even before this so wouldn't say suggesting it isn't looking good for him is a crazy statement.

Got a lot of time for Scott Arfield hes been a good player for the Club. The bench is now getting alot stronger aswell, not a bad option to have a Scotty Arfield to come on late in a game.

"The year is 2030, Scott Arfield is still thought of as a great impact sub and a 'great guy to have around the place'. Meanwhile Celtic at heading for title number 60......"

If Arfield is still here next season it will be a sure sign that we haven't properly strengthened in the summer.

If Beale is going to be too loyal to the old guard and keep them on next season then he is likely to be looking for a job in November.

We have Goldson, Tav, Jack and arguably Kamara and Kent as senior squad members. I just can't see us offering him an extended deal in the summer.

I would certainly consider most of them in the senior player bracket but apart from Arfield and Jack, none of them have been brought up in this environment.

Guys like Arfield are integral for instilling and informing the basic requirements to understand and be successful at this club.

My point is his game time seems to be getting less and less by the week.

Unused sub and not making match day squad aren't things you'd ever have expected.
He has always dropped in and out of the team in his time here, in that he has tended to come in for a few games at a time, and contributed, before dropping back to the bench.

If we are chasing a goal and the attackers are misfiring, there is still no-one better in the squad than making late runs into the box ahead of the strikers and nicking a goal. If it wasn’t for Arfield‘s 2 late goals against the sheep, we would be completely out of the title race.

Good guy to have around the club as well, especially if Davis and McGregor are leaving. That said, at his age he might prefer to leave and get regular game time elsewhere.

Unless injuries build up I don't see him getting much game time in what's left of the season.

Not heard if he is currently injured but if he's fit and isn't getting in squad that's without Raskin Lawrence and Hagi it doesn't look good for Scotty.
I think you are right, it’s the beginning of the end for him and I think he will probably know that. Of all the oldies who had their contracts extended recently he was the only one who merited it. See out the season and then leave with all our best wishes.

I think this should be his last year.

We already have Hagi, Cantwell, Tillman, Lowry and Lawrence who can all play the more advanced midfield role.

Then if he drops back we have Jack, Kamara, Raskin and Lundstram.

Good servant but even as a squad player I don’t see any room left for him due to the above.

Been a great signing but it should be thanks for everything come the summer and released. We really need to move on with this squad.

No need for a new deal. He's been a good signing for us and goes with our thanks. It's time for us as a club to move on and start replacing the old guard.

"The year is 2030, Scott Arfield is still thought of as a great impact sub and a 'great guy to have around the place'. Meanwhile Celtic at heading for title number 60......"

If Arfield is still here next season it will be a sure sign that we haven't properly strengthened in the summer.

If Beale is going to be too loyal to the old guard and keep them on next season then he is likely to be looking for a job in November.
Enjoy the game last night?!

If the other midfielders stay fit and on form, Arfield will get less game time the rest of the season. But all it takes is a couple of injuries and dips in form and we'll be looking to him to do us a job.

I'll bet that Scotty Arfield has one last goal against the scum in him. Tillman will score his first Old Firm goal in the same game.

He’s still a fantastic impact sub. Wouldn’t mind him committing to another year, on reduced terms perhaps.
Will the impact sub be there in a year, been a great signing but we need to freshen the team up with new players as well as youth.
I think we need to pick either Jack or Arfield for an extension.
For me it would be Jack with 2 years.

Unless injuries build up I don't see him getting much game time in what's left of the season.

Not heard if he is currently injured but if he's fit and isn't getting in squad that's without Raskin Lawrence and Hagi it doesn't look good for Scotty.
No, great squad player for another season and no doubt he’ll be happy to sign for a relatively small wage and he’s a great influence in the dressing room plus Scottish. Let’s not also forget he’s only just turned 34, 3 years younger than Davis so plenty left in him

Arfield has been a great servant for us and every time he's been out the team he has always managed to force his way back in and play a big role either starting or off the bench.

This time tho feels different think Beale wants younger fresher players in the role that Arfield plays.

Wouldn't be suprised to see him at Livi next season go there for a couple years and finnish his career.

Like Davis and McGregor it should have been a thank you and handshake at the end of last season.

Great pro. Done a good job. Time to move on and let someone else take the place on the squad.

Arfield will still have moments this season, he knows where the goal is and is another who will benefit from the upgrades in midfield.

In a struggling team he wouldn’t be able to make the impact to change the tide but in a fluid attacking team he’ll find the spaces to create and score goals.

Arfield has been a great servant for us and every time he's been out the team he has always managed to force his way back in and play a big role either starting or off the bench.

This time tho feels different think Beale wants younger fresher players in the role that Arfield plays.

Wouldn't be suprised to see him at Livi next season go there for a couple years and finnish his career.
I doubt it because I cannot see him playing on their home pitch.

I think he’ll start on Saturday in the midfield alongside Jack !

It’s a very quick turnaround and Lunny & Kamara done a tank last night

I think we'll see less if him now that there's more competition for places. Which, is a good thing squad wise.
I'd like to see him have a role until the end of the season. He's been good for us and scored some valuable goals...

Keep until end of season and he leaves with our thanks and respect.
Nailed it.

Still has a very important role to play until the summer.

Folk are very quick to forget that his goal started the run under Beale - dropped points up north was league over and a dire start.

I’d argue his goal against the sheep was instrumental to the current run - he gets bonus points as well because it kickstarted the sheep being utterly fucked

It's a difficult one but if you start looking at it, we simply cannot afford to clear everyone out at once, as much as we would like to.

We will need to sign a new starting GK in the summer, maybe even a back up GK.
Another CB to replace Helander. Probably another RB/LB depending on who leaves and going by Beales comments a starting Striker. That won't come cheap so depends on who is leaving.

On that basis, I can see Arfield getting another year.

Back