Arfield - time up?

It's a difficult one but if you start looking at it, we simply cannot afford to clear everyone out at once, as much as we would like to.

We will need to sign a new starting GK in the summer, maybe even a back up GK.
Another CB to replace Helander. Probably another RB/LB depending on who leaves and going by Beales comments a starting Striker. That won't come cheap so depends on who is leaving.

On that basis, I can see Arfield getting another year.
I wouldn’t give him another year tbh.

Come summer big thanks, time to move forward with younger legs.

I'd definitely want him on the bench as an option for the league Cup final.

Next season though, I think it's time to move on.

Tbh, I think it’ll depend on what new players are targeted an who else goes

We probably need another cm rm/rw than getting rid of arfield.

Easily could see mcgregor, helander, Davis, Kent, Alfie all go as frees

Sands termination of loan

Kamara may entice offers, Wright and Matondo may not be featuring too much either so a low cost jack and arfield may be worth doing.

But, whatever happens I trust Beale given the quality he’s brought in this window and not chasing pish just because.

at least 6 first teamers will go, poss up to 9.

I suspect beale will bring in 5/6 quality and try to keep kent, jack and maybe arfield.

Then one or two development style players to bed in through season alongside Lowry if he steps up between now and season end

I think it will be his decision
He will know game time will be limited
Terms offered will reflect that
I don't see him wanting to go to England, possibly a move to the US might appeal if it's possible.
Otherwise it depends if he prefers playing a small part at Rangers or a big part at another club

I think it will be his decision
He will know game time will be limited
Terms offered will reflect that
I don't see him wanting to go to England, possibly a move to the US might appeal if it's possible.
Otherwise it depends if he prefers playing a small part at Rangers or a big part at another club
If we release him, and I hope we don’t, I would hate to see him at another Scottish club.

These two goals seem to have rocketed him to some sort of level which is not necessarily representative of his time here. Just because he gets those two goals does not justify a new contract for next season.

In perspective, he has been part of the 'old guard' who, in 5 seasons, have only won 2 trophies and failed us many times when it mattered.

That needs to change. It simply not a good enough return and personnel needs changing.

"Letting go" seems to be a bizarre problem within our support.
Yes, we struggle to move on from players then complain when we trail them in the league.

I would keep him for the squad. A good option to have who won't be on a massive wage. He also counts as nation homegrown.

We have 3 players returning to the club in the summer who will still be under contract and count as club homegrown and none if them will be starters either.

We are going to be losing McGregor and Davis. Possibly Jack and Arfield.
Thats 4 hugely experienced professionals, I actually think Jack and Arfield will sign new deals on reduced terms and I will be thrilled if they do, the type of guys you need around, setting the standards around the place. Every successful manager has had them in and around the place

His legs have been gone for years, still comes back into form a few months later. Suspect he’ll have a big say in our double this season.

If him and jack are willing to take pay cuts for next contract I have no issues renewing contracts.

Good squad players and for European squad

I think we have enough experience in the team with the likes of Goldson, Tav and most likely Jack, that we probably need to be looking to move on players like Arfield to make room for younger players with a potential to be sold on for a significant profit.

We can’t be giving someone a contract (probably upwards of £10k per week) to play 20 mins here and there.

We need to stop this sentimental pish when it comes to contract renewals.

Younger and fitter players that have zero experience of winning a league title for Rangers.

McGregor will go. Likely Davis too.

Scott Arfield comfortably has another year in him as an experienced squad player.
This is where I’m at with it, what he offers in and around the squad we can’t replace.

The odd sub appearance and early cup game I’d be fine with. He’s a grafter and he knows what it means to play for Rangers, extend for a year.

Back