Arfield

Not just the extension for Arfield but Mr Wilson also needs to start the succession plan for a long term replacement for Scotty because we have no one else who can do what he does.
Do you think Roofe can play that Shadow Striker role Arfield plays so well behind a main striker?
I feel like it's very possible, and might even potentially be his best role.

He is an excellent player - the way he works himself into space and the box is mental. He had a few chances and with more game time he'll get sharper. I love Davis to bits but I'd play Arfield as a starter more often in place of him.

If he can stay fit and sharp he defo has something to offer this squad. You know exactly what you get from him. 100% effort every time.

Do you think Roofe can play that Shadow Striker role Arfield plays so well behind a main striker?
I feel like it's very possible, and might even potentially be his best role.
Possibly but I just don’t think he’d be anywhere near as effective defensively as Arfield is. Arfield is probably the best presser in our team and Roofe is nowhere near as intense.

Roof is a funny one I genuinely have no clue what his best position is. Probably in a strike partnership.

I thought he was poor in the first half because there wasn’t really the space for him, much better in the second half when there was more space.

I think going forward he’s going to be extremely useful in the last 20/30 minutes of games, maybe not so much from the start every week.

Possibly but I just don’t think he’d be anywhere near as effective defensively as Arfield is. Arfield is probably the best presser in our team and Roofe is nowhere near as intense.

Roof is a funny one I genuinely have no clue what his best position is. Probably in a strike partnership.
Aye, you're not wrong.

Arfield terrific in the press (and obviously more experienced in that midfield).

If it was a pure shadow striker role, I do think Roofe would be more productive in terms of assists and goals than Arfield, but if you're balancing it with the defensive aspect, than you're right, Roofe wouldn't do the same job defensively.

love Scotty Arfield, he knows what the Bears are about and gives us the extra drive needed at times
he's no Ian Durrant but at least he drives in to the box and always looks to shoot which i would love to see more from our players especially Kamara who as much as i admire him as a skillfull footballer...he seldom fking shoots

I am anything but ITK, but I was told by someone that knows his brother that he thought he was out the door under Gerrard. He's obviously back in and looks like he's prepared to put the graft in to keep his place.
He's not getting any younger though and I think an attacking midfielder is absolutely priority in the transfer window.

Well I reckon any team in Scotland would take him atm.

And he could easily go back to the Championship at 33 and get a 2 year deal somewhere on decent money.

We are potentially going to lose McGregor, Davis, Goldson and Defoe at the end of the season. We need his experience. Badly.

He like Borna was playing injured and that's a issue. Some of our support often jump on players and straight to he is finished after a few average games rather than look at bigger picture. Arfiled still got a lot to give if fitness stays.

Why should we be keeping a 32 year old who's best years are behind him? We need to be progressive in midfield especially
An in form 32 year old Arfield is a cracking player, to replace him with a younger model would be way out of our price range, he cant play twice a week, but when hes on form like now, he's excellent.

I said on another thread a couple of games ago that GvB snd his coaching team have instilled a real rejuvenation in some of our senior players play and form. In particular Scott Arfield and Alan McGregor following a few poor performances from under the previous regime and League Cup Final. Either that or they realise they are playing for final contracts and are out to impress but that might be unfair.

When the games dead arfield pops up

When the games lively arfield pops up.

Hes everywhere. Hes underrated. We need to think of a long term plan for him. Just because he's not a pacey player who will bomb down the flanks he doesn't get recognised but his positioning is brilliant.
Aye, he's in Gio's plan together with Sakala.....
:cool:

"They seek him here, they seek him there
His clothes are loud, but never square
It will make or break him so he's got to buy the best
'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion"

When the games dead arfield pops up

When the games lively arfield pops up.

Hes everywhere. Hes underrated. We need to think of a long term plan for him. Just because he's not a pacey player who will bomb down the flanks he doesn't get recognised but his positioning is brilliant.
This is right. What he brings to our performances isn’t necessarily his ability on the ball, his finishing (though last weeks was great) or brilliant passing - he brings an attitude and desire that rubs off in the players around him. His movement is terrific, both going forward and chasing back. He is clever positionally and he drives the team on.

It‘s no coincidence that in recent years our best spells of form, even with last season‘s phenomenal record, has come when Arfield has been in the team consistently.

Back