Argentina fans

Exactly

How many of them turn up to watch the opening game of League 2 against East Stirling?

Or continue to attend 18 months later as Ally single handily tries to kill football with his 4-5-1 assault on League 1.
I don’t think we will ever find out the answer to these questions. The way they travel across South America in qualifiers and to World Cups is pretty admirable mind, same for many nations down there. Mexico some of the best I’ve personally experienced and the way them Chileans tried to get in to the Maracana without tickets was another level of support in 2014. Same for Club sides from SA in Copa America and to World Club Cup, always travel well.

Argentina had a great support away during this campaign where they struggled. You could say they did have pretty low crowds at home though.

Last edited:
Only fans who put football before anything else.

Have you ever heard of the fan watching the1978 World Cup final from his seat in the stadium in Buenos Aires?

Besides there was an empty seat and when he was asked by another fan who was the owner of the empty seat, the man replied: ‘my missus but sadly she passed away’.

-‘I’m sorry to hear that’, said the second fan.’But why didn’t you invite another relative to come and watch the match with you?’.

-‘I couldn’t. They all are in the funeral right now’.

We were in Argentina in February and the WC win is everywhere (naturally).

Emotions are still high and the result is the only thing that puts a smile on every Argentine.

Great to see.

I was lucky enough to go to a world cup qualifier in River Plate stadium, Argentina v Brazil. To be honest it was a bit disappointing, it finished up a 1-1 draw, when Argentina went ahead the atmosphere was good for about 5 minutes apart from that it was only really loud at the start and flashpoints in the game, certainly not the wall of noise and chanting I was expecting.
Talking in the pub after it an Argie guy explained club football is much more important and a lot of people couldn’t afford the International game ticket prices, great experience still but I’ve seen Ibrox noisier, no Messi playing either so a bit meh.

The majority of Argentinean folk are Italian and Spanish decent ,so its no wonder they are so passionate about their football.

We all think Ibrox can be a cauldron on big European nights but that is something else.
Everything possible has been done to sanitise the atmosphere created by Scottish fans. Quite sure if we had teams as successful as Argentina, and the authorities hadn't brought in all these rules to quieten us down, then we would be as good at creating an atmosphere as anybody. Rangers can still do it at times.

Not so sure about that. They were a disgrace for years with their sense of entitlement when they weren't winning anything and hounded Messi out of the team and held him responsible for the failure of the team. He retired from international football for a short period because of the behaviour of the fans and the media. There was a lot of abuse for him since he's actually spent most of his life in Spain, and questioning of his commitment to Argentina etc.
I read an article about that at the time.

They actually preferred Tevez to Messi.

Because Tevez was brought up poor, and Messi from a more privileged background.

But who knows , not all articles are true as we know all to well.

I read the same thing. Messi’s dad was a factory worker and his mum was a cleaner so they weren’t exactly well to do either. But Tevez apparently came from poverty and they love that rags to riches fairytale, part of the reason they worship Maradona; it’s not just the god like status as a footballer, it’s the fact he came from poverty to become the best. Also there’s fact Messi hadn’t played club football in Argentina.

Safe to say Messi’s well and truly won them all over in the end. Now receiving that god like worship that previously only Diego was privy to. I’m sure very few believed he’d go on to win everything possible with his country when he got to age 32 and had still won nothing (except the olympics). In that sense he’s actually eclipsed Diego; who never won the Copa America.

Like another poster says, Messi was from a poor background too but they felt he was less Argentinian because he left at 14 to go to Barca. Whereas Tevez at least began his career there.

Plus Tevez has a more street fighter persona which the Argentine public could identify with. Messi on the other hand a shy kid who kept himself to himself and was deemed to lack passion.

Heard Tim Vickery talking about it recently. Messi used to be a daunting figure to young Argentine players who’d try and impress him at training and get nothing back. He’d rock up to national team duty and would speak only to Aguerro. Then Aguerro suffered injuries and wasn’t called up as much over past couple of years and Messi was forced into mixing with the squad and becoming a leader. You see him now and it’s like a different guy.

Is that not the worst time to go as there is no Football in Nov and Dec?
I'm sure it'll be on if the league stops this season in July the new season should be started by November, they've played right up until the middle of December recently

I'm sure it'll be on if the league stops this season in July the new season should be started by November, they've played right up until the middle of December recently
Not sure where you have got that from? Ended in October last season.

Was looking at going over in July and it ends then like you say. Maybe Copa America will see an early start but I’d want to know before booking anything, £1200 return when I looked for July.

Last edited:
Not sure where you have got that from? Ended in October last season.

Was looking at going over in July and it ends then like you say. Maybe Copa America will see an early start but I’d want to know before booking anything, £1200 return when I looked for July.
This league that's on just now finishes 20/07, then the new league campaign starts roughly around 20/08, in the 2021 season it started in July and finished 13th December so going by this there should be games going on in November, they seem to change the start time of the league each year

This league that's on just now finishes 20/07, then the new league campaign starts roughly around 20/08, in the 2021 season it started in July and finished 13th December so going by this there should be games going on in November, they seem to change the start time of the league each year
July 30th this one ends?

Any links to where you can confirm that pal about starting in August? Be really keen to go in December. Copa Lib final in November usually means end of season for a while down there?

Aye I’m petty sure it’s a crap time to go Nov/Dec for Football even though the weather is great. I fancied July but the weather there is crap then and it would feel daft going away to crap weather.
I know a few guys that's over just now, they're loving it, such a good capital city for top flight teams and cheap as chips when you get over there

Very jealous of what you’ll have experienced pal! Brilliant place Argentina.

Unfortunately I didn’t get to any professional games this February as we were further south in the wife’s hometown.

But the 12yo son of a family friend just signed for Estudiantes. It was interesting to hear of the conversations. Already at that age, the club are referring to the boy’s physique as being ideal for European clubs.

A big move for the young lad to move away from home at that age. But how could you turn it down.

Unfortunately I didn’t get to any professional games this February as we were further south in the wife’s hometown.

But the 12yo son of a family friend just signed for Estudiantes. It was interesting to hear of the conversations. Already at that age, the club are referring to the boy’s physique as being ideal for European clubs.

A big move for the young lad to move away from home at that age. But how could you turn it down.

Following in the footsteps of Seba Veron. That's awesome for the kid!

Aye I’m petty sure it’s a crap time to go Nov/Dec for Football even though the weather is great. I fancied July but the weather there is crap then and it would feel daft going away to crap weather.

I went last June and had a great time.

The weather was alright (for a Glasgow boy :D), about 15-17C during the day, but it was cold at night. Certainly shouldn't put you off if that's your only option.

I went last June and had a great time.

The weather was alright (for a Glasgow boy :D), about 15-17C during the day, but it was cold at night. Certainly shouldn't put you off if that's your only option.
Don’t tempt me pal! Will get there soon.

Back