Argentine Superliga

Yeah, I feel old saying this but money is killing the game. The differentials between leagues and, in Europe, within leagues are just too large.

Yeah, it's an absolute killer. Football in England, pre-Premiership, seems to have been airbrushed from history. We sound a bit like Fred Truman, "In my day, lad". :D

Yeah, I would have liked a bit more energy in midfield (Ascacibar) and Martinez for Higuain, but as you say no real surprises.

Apparently, Mercado is a doubt so there may be another replacement.

You wonder how many more are going to break down in the lead-up to and then with the demands of the tournament.

Sampaoli played the following in a training warm-up:

Cristian Ansaldi, Nicolás Otamendi, Federico Fazio + Nicolás Tagliafico
Javier Mascherano, Giovani Lo Celso + Manuel Lanzini.
Lionel Messi, Angel Di María + Gonzalo Higuaín

You wonder how many more are going to break down in the lead-up to and then with the demands of the tournament.

Sampaoli played the following in a training warm-up:

Cristian Ansaldi, Nicolás Otamendi, Federico Fazio + Nicolás Tagliafico
Javier Mascherano, Giovani Lo Celso + Manuel Lanzini.
Lionel Messi, Angel Di María + Gonzalo Higuaín

If he starts with that team they'll get pumped.

Eighty years of estadio Monumental - their opening game played on this date in 1938, River 3-1 Penarol. First scorer Carlos Peucelle, rather fittingly.

The initial hope was that it would host the 1938 World Cup but Argentina lost the FIFA vote 19-3 to France.

zog4yx.jpg

Interview with Messi on tv's Pasión por el Fútbol, which is carried by all the papers:

* admitting Argentina have to be realistic and accept they're not among the favourites

* he won't play for another European team and hopes to return to Newell's for at least 6 months to finish his career

* pleased to have Higuaín in the squad and disappointment over the loss of Romero - maybe he should have been given more time but tough decision for the manager.

The rest is general soundbites about football and life.

In a separate comment, he also mentioned being impressed by Pavon, Meza and Armani. All standard stuff.

Quilmes ad for the World Cup featuring Oscar Ruggeri, "We Ask Less From God":

Fine sentiments from Ruggeri asking fans to support the players.

However, it's not gone down particularly well in certain online sections - basically the response accusing players of having cold hearts and all the other criticisms the ad shows :D

Always remember Ruggeri being a big, no nonsense defender so quite a good idea getting him to do the advert. As you say, the sentiment is great, but just wait for the reaction when Higuain misses his first chance.

Always remember Ruggeri being a big, no nonsense defender so quite a good idea getting him to do the advert. As you say, the sentiment is great, but just wait for the reaction when Higuain misses his first chance.

Indeed. Menotti is in the media saying Argentina should be among the contenders.

Indeed. Menotti is in the media saying Argentina should be among the contenders.

Having the best player in the world and being a football superpower should see them as contenders, but they aren't (imo). I just don't see how that midfield and defence keeps out decent opposition. Hopefully, I'm wrong and they put on a show.

Well, no injuries and a welcome return from Aguero.

Most exciting was the performance of Pavon, who may be pushing himself ahead of Di Maria - complimentary words from Sampaoli afterwards.

EDIT: Also nice to hear the reports that the fans got behind Higuaín last night, despite the misses and the history. Let's hope he's correct when he said post-game that the goals are being kept for Russia...

Last edited:
Well, no injuries and a welcome return from Aguero.

Most exciting was the performance of Pavon, who may be pushing himself ahead of Di Maria - complimentary words from Sampaoli afterwards.

EDIT: Also nice to hear the reports that the fans got behind Higuaín last night, despite the misses and the history. Let's hope he's correct when he said post-game that the goals are being kept for Russia...

The look on his face when Aguero scored says a lot, though.

Pavon is in excellent form. I see Boca want him to sign a new contract so they can up his buyout clause to $50m (from $33m).

Last edited:
Last night's appearance for the national team saw Mascherano equal Zanetti for most caps. Still can't believe he made his debut for the Argentina team before he had played a senior first team game.

DeaJRfWX4AAg4iO.jpg

Never knew that Dr. How did that happen?

As far as I'm aware, it was due to his performances with the Argentinian age group teams - he hadn't been able to get into the River team due to Astrada. It was only a friendly and I imagine he was called up to see how he did in training and ended up getting a brief subs appearance.

The same happened to Mammana when he was at River.

As far as I'm aware, it was due to his performances with the Argentinian age group teams - he hadn't been able to get into the River team due to Astrada. It was only a friendly and I imagine he was called up to see how he did in training and ended up getting a brief subs appearance.

The same happened to Mammana when he was at River.

Interesting it’s happened twice in such a strong footballing nation. The rest of the world does seem to pay much more attention to age group football than the UK though.

Interesting it’s happened twice in such a strong footballing nation. The rest of the world does seem to pay much more attention to age group football than the UK though.

In the case of Mammana I think they were just desperate to try and find a decent, ball-playing centre back.

San Martin de Tucuman beating Sarmiento 4-0 (4-1 agg) after 70 minutes of the second leg of the promotion play-off.

Looks like we'll be having the Tucuman classico next season.

Dey1eESXUAMP0uW.jpg

For some reason, Cristian Ansaldi thought it was a good idea, during training camp, to post a picture of himself in the bath with his wife. Maybe he thought this was the only way anybody would notice who he was.

De20RRTW0AATNlq.jpg

An odd game to put in the calendar given the controversy that could be anticipated... although not by the AFA. Must have been a lot of money on offer.

With AFA's previous you do wonder who was getting what?

The problem was that the game was in Tel Aviv. The players didn't want the additional flight and if you add in the political baggage then this was always a likely scenario.

Sampaoli is now looking for an opponent to play in Barcelona.

On this day in 2011 Martin Palermo scored his 227th league goal and ultimately last for Boca against Quilmes. In doing so he joined SDF's favourite Argie, Jose Sanfilippo, as 5th in the all-time scoring list.

De9LftQX4AAGdHN.jpg:large

With AFA's previous you do wonder who was getting what?

The problem was that the game was in Tel Aviv. The players didn't want the additional flight and if you add in the political baggage then this was always a likely scenario.

Sampaoli is now looking for an opponent to play in Barcelona.

Apparently Netanyahu called Macri asking him to get involved with the Argentine President subsequently approaching the AFA. He was told the players asked for the cancellation given the protests and threats to Messi.

Higuain saying it was the right thing not to play in Jerusalem. In the same interview, he said he would love to play in the English Premiership.

Opinion piece in Clarin calling out the hypocrisy of the decision when the World Cup is to be in Russia... before highlighting the transgressions of upcoming opponents:

https://www.clarin.com/opinion/pode...ntar-copa-mundial-hipocresia_0_SydpO_EeX.html

Carlos Bilardo's health is improving, according to his brother. The World Cup winning- manager was admitted to hospital last week due to general ill health and severe depression.

I seem to recall images of him running across the field David Pleat-esque at the '86 WC.

Carlos Bilardo's health is improving, according to his brother. The World Cup winning- manager was admitted to hospital last week due to general ill health and severe depression.

I seem to recall images of him running across the field David Pleat-esque at the '86 WC.

It seemed to be quite serious as I think he was in intensive care (based on my spanish). As you say, though, he does seem to be doing better.

gettyimages-183735696.jpg

Latest posts

Back