drgriffen

Highlights from Saturday's matches:

Arsenal v Temperley:

Velez v Boca:

Godoy Cruz v Independiente:

Chacarita v Talleres:

Huracan v Union:

drgriffen

Olimpo concede an Olimpico - first time I've seen this in a professional match.

Olimpo v Gimnasia highlights:

Minkia

Spent last week in Buenos Aires. Didn't get to a game but visited both La Bombonera and El Monumental. Even on non match days both the club shops and surrounding areas were mobbed by supporters. Their passion for their clubs is incredible.
Also saw two police wearing River Plate badges on their uniform lapels. Can you imagine the reaction here if a 'Polis' was to sport a Gers pin?

drgriffen

Spent last week in Buenos Aires. Didn't get to a game but visited both La Bombonera and El Monumental. Even on non match days both the club shops and surrounding areas were mobbed by supporters. Their passion for their clubs is incredible.
Also saw two police wearing River Plate badges on their uniform lapels. Can you imagine the reaction here if a 'Polis' was to sport a Gers pin?
Sounds like you had a good time even if you couldn't take in a game - tough getting tickets for Boca and River as 'tourist' tickets are pretty rare and very pricey.

No doubt the majority of Tims think the police are all Rangers fans, Masons and part of the grand conspiracy, anyway.

If you've any pics of the tours then it would be great if you could post them. Beats listening to my monologue. :D

Minkia

Managed it this time ;)
Like the story about how Boca Juniors got their club colours.
The founders couldn't agree on a choice so decided to take the colours of the flag on the next ship to enter port. As it was a Swedish registered vessel, then yellow and blue it is.

drgriffen

Managed it this time ;)
The founders couldn't agree on a choice so decided to take the colours of the flag on the next ship to enter port. As it was a Swedish registered vessel, then yellow and blue it is.
Thanks for posting - great to see them.

Do like the Labruna special edition strip in the bottom picture.

Rangerista

I read that Boca and River claim they're both followed by more than 50% of Argentinians. If that's true, how the hell are all those tens of thousands supporting all the other clubs?

drgriffen

I read that Boca and River claim they're both followed by more than 50% of Argentinians. If that's true, how the hell are all those tens of thousands supporting all the other clubs?
Boca are the bigger of the two clubs so their fans say they have 50% + 1 of the Nation's fans.

ManhattanBlue

Managed it this time ;)
Great pics, Minkia.

I'll be in BA in February and have ensured the timing will coincide with a couple of games. The wife & her family are all Boca so it's La Bombonera only.

Minkia

Cheers, MB. My first visit to BA and I loved every minute of it. A great, football mad, city.

djurgardenbear

ManhattanBlue

Argentina 0-0 Peru at half-time.

Struggling to break down the Peruvians and as results stand, Argentina drop to 6th and out of the World Cup with one game remaining.

16 goals in 16 games proving their downfall.

Walnuts

Argentina just need a win in their last game and they qualify. Away at Ecuador wont be easy but doable for sure but they looked very poor there.

ManhattanBlue

Victory in Ecuador and they're through, though winning in Quito is always tricky.

Argentina had a number of chances tonight. Players suffocated with pressure and expectation.

HarryBosch

Watching Patronato v Boca. Big crowd. Ticker tape in the pitch is not a good companion to the HD picture for some reason.
Patronato are very direct, Boca looking to play through them.
Lots of players "who know how to protect themselves"