Argentine Superliga

An odd game to put in the calendar given the controversy that could be anticipated... although not by the AFA. Must have been a lot of money on offer.

Looking at the specific thread it's interesting, and probably for the best, that the majority didn't come here to find out (first) about the Israel match being cancelled. :D

June 6th, 1978... Argentina 2-1 France in the second game of the opening group stage:

A peach of a strike from Luque!

June 6th, 1962... Argentina 0-0 Hungary in the final game of the group stage. The draw marked the end of their WC, losing out to England on goal difference.

Hungary topped the group having defeated Bulgaria (6-1) and England (2-1). England's 3-1 Argentina meant they went through in 2nd place.

Argentina were managed by Juan Carlos Lorenzo, a subsequent icon of Boca given he led them to two Copa Libertadores in 1977 and 1978.

June 6th, 1978... Argentina 2-1 France in the second game of the opening group stage:

A peach of a strike from Luque!

June 6th, 1962... Argentina 0-0 Hungary in the final game of the group stage. The draw marked the end of their WC, losing out to England on goal difference.

Hungary topped the group having defeated Bulgaria (6-1) and England (2-1). England's 3-1 Argentina meant they went through in 2nd place.

Argentina were managed by Juan Carlos Lorenzo, a subsequent icon of Boca given he led them to two Copa Libertadores in 1977 and 1978.

Lovely pass by Battison for the French goal.

Cracking strike by Luque. Not as good, but reminded me of Eder's goal against Russia.

Tapia confirms that the match with Israel was cancelled due to security reasons and Argentina will not have another game arranged. Great planning by AFA.

https://golazoargentino.com/2018/06...argentina-are-left-without-world-cup-warm-up/

"I hope this is taken as a contribution towards world peace". I'm not sure if Tapia is saying this with a straight face or is being a little sarcastic. With him, it could be either.

TyC suggests the cancellation is a combination of football preparation, personal, economic and politics:

https://www.tycsports.com/nota/sele..._medium=bloque&utm_campaign=instanciabledoble

As it notes, Sampaoli turned down a visit to the Pope as it would interfere with preparation.

Oddly, TyC does not carry the Messi quote that's being used in the other thread...

"I hope this is taken as a contribution towards world peace". I'm not sure if Tapia is saying this with a straight face or is being a little sarcastic. With him, it could be either.

TyC suggests the cancellation is a combination of football preparation, personal, economic and politics:

https://www.tycsports.com/nota/sele..._medium=bloque&utm_campaign=instanciabledoble

As it notes, Sampaoli turned down a visit to the Pope as it would interfere with preparation.

Oddly, TyC does not carry the Messi quote that's being used in the other thread...

Sampaoli and the team have been moaning about the trip to Israel since it was arranged - they wanted a game in Barcelona - so I understand the football preparation reason. I just think, when it came to the crunch, AFA realised that if anything went wrong then they would be carrying the can. Too much of a risk, even for them.

On this day in 1969 Fernando Redondo was born. One of the great midfielders of his generation who amazingly only played 29 times for Argentina (injury and terrible managerial decisions the cause of this). His performance for Real Madrid against Man Utd at Old Trafford will last long in the memory.

fernando-redondo-in-action-during-a-first-round-match-of-the-1994-picture-id640256391

On this day in 1973 Independiente defeateed Colo Colo in extra time to win their 4th Libertadores final.

DfCE-ZWXcAAWCbv.jpg:large

Four years ago today River appointed Gallardo as manager. In that time he has won a Libertadores, a Sudamericana, two South American Supercups and two Copa Argentina. Still think he should have left at the end of 2017.

The Argentina XI in training today (albeit I imagine in a different formation):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/***7w6_WkAAGtNX.jpg

Thieves in Argentina broke into a Panini printing building and stole $360k worth of World Cup stickers.

Do you think they'll be able to complete an album?

Last edited:
My all-time 11 albeit there is a limited selection - number of players who should be considered aren't:

243iv7m.png

Dr Griffen this is a new education to me.Always thought I knew the game.Your knowledge and information excels.With the W.C. happening when does Copa Libertores start up.Who are the main team to lose players.And can possibly another outside Brazil.Argentina.Lift the trophy....Any chance of Racing making their mark in league and competition.

Dr Griffen this is a new education to me.Always thought I knew the game.Your knowledge and information excels.With the W.C. happening when does Copa Libertores start up.Who are the main team to lose players.And can possibly another outside Brazil.Argentina.Lift the trophy....Any chance of Racing making their mark in league and competition.

Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated.

The Libertadores starts up again on the 6th of August.

So far I'm not aware of any departures from the main Argentinian clubs outside Martinez (Racing) going to Inter. That being the case it's hard to tell who will be worst hit. Saying that Boca will probably lose a number of key players (Pavon, Magallan and Fabra spring to mind) but I think they will get good replacements - Pussetto, if they get him, isn't as good as Pavon, but he is an excellent prospect. Racing have been linked with Lucas Zelarrayán who would be a decent replacement for Martinez, if not in the same class. Ultimately, though, with the state of the Argentinian economy any player could be sold. A case of wait and see for now.

Atletico Nacional, from Colombia, are a really good team. They are managed by former Lanus manager Jorge Almiron and looked impressive in the group stages. I'd say they are one of the favourites even including the Brazilian and Argentinian teams.

Short answer: yes. Racing have been very impressive since Coudet took over as manager at the start of the year. A lot will depend, obviously, on how they replace Martinez and the form of Centurion (who has just had an appendicitis operation). If they can maintain their recent performances then they certainly can be contenders although, no doubt, they will find a way to mess things up.

If you aren't aware I set up a Libertadores thread. The last few posts detail all the ties and when they will be played. This will be resurrected when it restarts in August.:)

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/copa-libertadores-2018.13487/page-5#post-1550616

This is how Argentina will win the World Cup:

There have been calls for La Plata witchdoctor Brujo Manuel to join the team in Russia so he can halt their recent misfortune.

DfMROOhXUAA2U4V.jpg

Enzo Perez has been called up as the replacement to Lanzini.

Other news: Boca and Colombia full-back, Frank Fabra, has torn his ACL and will miss the World Cup.

The latest Argentina XI in training: Caballero; Mercado, Otamendi, Rojo, Tagliafico; Mascherano, Lo Celso; Meza, Messi, Di María; Agüero

Bit disappointing that Di Maria seems to be a guaranteed starter.

Looks like Boca will be signing Sebastian Villa, a Colombian winger from Deportes Tolima, as Pavon's replacement.

Wonder where Pussetto will end up now?

Today's starting 11 in training were: Caballero; Salvio, Otamendi, Rojo, Tagliafico; Mascherano, Lo Celso; Meza, Messi, Di María; Agüero

Accusations of sexual harassment being leveled at Sampaoli - that of a cook at the training centre in BA.

One of those talking of the rumours, however, is radio host Gabriel Anello, who was behind the claim that Lavezzi smoked dope and which led to a media silence from the players.

Tapia and the AFA are dismissing it, although they had to issue a statement. "Every day there is someone trying to harm the team..."

Yesterday, 12th June, was the 92nd birthday of the great River Plate goalkeeper, Amadeo Carrizo. Part of the great La Maquina side, he was also the goalkeeper the day La Nuestra died: the 6-1 defeat to Czechoslovakia at the 1958 World Cup. A great pioneer for how goalkeepers played, he was voted the best South American keeper of the 20th century.

Dfd27ZgXcAEuDYp.jpg

Sampaoli went against his own instincts and one hopes he reverts to type against Croatia - I wonder if we'll see Pavon, Lo Celso and Acuna start, for example...?

Argentina look really top-heavy to me. The forwards are hugely talented but the midfield seems lacking any real star quality. Argentina are crying out for a Redondo in there. The defence looks shaky and Caballero is a bombscare in goal. The positive is that with Messi, anything is possible!

Sampaoli went against his own instincts and one hopes he reverts to type against Croatia - I wonder if we'll see Pavon, Lo Celso and Acuna start, for example...?

We both saw that performance coming so Sampaoli has to take the criticism coming his way. The problem is I don't see how he can play a high-tempo pressing game, his natural choice with the squad he has selected.

Hopefully, Pavon starts instead of Di Maria. Lo Celso is a strange one as he should play ahead of Biglia or Mascherano but I don't think they know his best position - he started as a number 10 and PSG are now trying to make him into a number 5/8.

Argentina look really top-heavy to me. The forwards are hugely talented but the midfield seems lacking any real star quality. Argentina are crying out for a Redondo in there. The defence looks shaky and Caballero is a bombscare in goal. The positive is that with Messi, anything is possible!

We've been talking about this for ages on here. It's not so much that the midfield is lacking star quality, it is lacking legs and energy. With Messi you already have the star quality so you just need the midfield to get the ball to him earlier/higher up the park and to protect the defence better. Obviously, a Redondo or Sastre would be nice, but an Ascacibar would be better than Mascherano or Biglia, at the moment.

We've been talking about this for ages on here. It's not so much that the midfield is lacking star quality, it is lacking legs and energy. With Messi you already have the star quality so you just need the midfield to get the ball to him earlier/higher up the park and to protect the defence better. Obviously, a Redondo or Sastre would be nice, but an Ascacibar would be better than Mascherano or Biglia, at the moment.

I'd say a Veron would be useful too mind you. Whats the consensus with Banega, surely he would bea better option than the pair who started? Maybe a bit inconsistent?

I'd say a Veron would be useful too mind you. Whats the consensus with Banega, surely he would bea better option than the pair who started? Maybe a bit inconsistent?

Was injured earlier in the week and they possibily felt it was too early for him to play 90 - don't think he is the answer either as whilst he is good on the ball against good teams they will just get overrun in midfield.

It depends as much on style as it does on quality, for me. They need a Kante style player and they haven't selected one - obviously I'm talking style of player because they don't have one of that quality.

On this day in 2004 Boca defeated River on penalties to win their quarter final Libertadores tie. Tevez famously scored a late equaliser, to take the game to extra time, but was sent off for his celebration - the chicken dance.

Lisandro Magallan's transfer to Ajax, from Boca, has collapsed because Ajax were angry at Boca for the way they were handling the deal. I actually think Ajax have got out of jail by doing this as he was never worth the money (€9.5m).

I would likely lean towards the latter. Glad to seen Acuna included and, of course, Pavon. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a few goals in this.

Obviously, Messi could produce some magic to win the game, but looking at the respective midfields I do wonder if Argentina struggle.

The huge swing in lineups and formation does show how Sampaoli has messed up squad selection and tactical preparation.

Lot of reports saying that Roma have reached agreement with Pastore over a €4m a year contract. They now just(!) have to come to an agreement with PSG.

Here's hoping Pastore can regain the form he showed early in his career - he should be the star player in a team just below the very best.

Looks like this will be the lineup. Only doubt being Meza or Perez.

Caballero; Mercado, Otamendi, Tagliafico; Salvio, Mascherano, Meza or Enzo Pérez, Acuña; Messi, Agüero, Pavón

Back