Argentine Superliga

It's shaping up to be an exciting season, especially if the top four continue their form up to the Summer break. Nearly halfway through the season - Boca can't afford to slip any more points behind.

Yeah, if DyJ and Huracan win their games in hand then it could be very exciting. Might already be too much for Boca and River to win the league.

What kind of form are Boca and River on going into tonight?

It's hard to tell as both teams have been resting players in the league for the Libertadores campaign. Boca are probably favourites as they have better strength in depth.

I will add, if the game is played tonight on that pitch then it is anybody's guess as it will suit a long ball game.

It's hard to tell as both teams have been resting players in the league for the Libertadores campaign. Boca are probably favourites as they have better strength in depth.

I will add, if the game is played tonight on that pitch then it is anybody's guess as it will suit a long ball game.

Cheers, mate. I had a quick look at the league table and was quite surprised :D

Also just noticed there’s a Copa Libertadores thread.

Newell's 0-0 Defensa at half-time. A win for Defensa would put them in 2nd place, 5pts behind with 2 games in hand.

Huracán winning 2-0 at half-time vs. Godoy. That would put them 2nd if Defensa don't win.

Newell's 0-0 Defensa at half-time. A win for Defensa would put them in 2nd place, 5pts behind with 2 games in hand.

Huracán winning 2-0 at half-time vs. Godoy. That would put them 2nd if Defensa don't win.

Thanks Brooklyn.

Been a really impressive start to the season by Defensa especially when you consider how well they did in the Sudamericana. They've done well in their managerial selections recently and it all seems to have followed from that.

I asked the question on Hand of Pod, they didn't know the answer, but I've always wondered how they got their name? Even wiki doesn't know. :D

17/11/1946 saw the last time the famous five of La Maquina play together. Munoz, Moreno, Loustau, Labruna and Pedernera - one of the all-time great forward lines (of any club).

DsOiBYXXoAAcWsr.jpg

Unusually, for Argentina, big clubs are intereted in one of their centre backs. Barca have had a bid rejected and Juve are trying to sign 19 y/o Leonardo Balerdi, of Boca, on loan.

Another good win for Tucumán earlier today, 3-1 victors away to Belgrano. Now 2nd in the table, 1 pt behind Racing having played one game more. Impressive opening half of the season.

More discontent at Estadio Diego Armando Maradona as Juniors are currently losing 1-0 to Talleres after 35 minutes. They're actually playing not bad but their finishing is woeful.

Racing 0-0 Banfield at half-time. A commanding performance by the league leaders but unable to break down Banfield, who did look dangerous in their early counter attacks.

A chance for Racing to extend their lead to 4pts. I do enjoy watching them - fast, physical football under a Simeone-type coach. Always entertaining!

EDIT: Heading into the last five minutes and it's just not happening for Racing. Highly enjoyable 2nd half with the home team piling forward looking for the goal.

I like the look of Banfield keeper Arboleda - athletic and a little dramatic in his goalkeeping.

Coudet growling on the sidelines. Dressed all in black and although wearing a t-shirt, he has a thick black scarf wrapped around his neck.

Ends 0-0.

Last edited:
Have they done away with the complicated league structure?

I'm seeing 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 winners outright as Boca on the Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Argentine_football_champions

I think it's the one thing the game needs less of. The Belgian closing part of the league system is mental.

Not totally. Teams only play each other once which could affect who wins the league (easy away game for one team, hard for another).

In a couple of years they should have a home and away system with relegation based on that seasons points tally.

This is Argentina, though, so just as they reach sanity they'll probably change it again.

Semi-Final of the Copa Argentina tomorrow: River Plate vs. Gimnasia (who knocked out Boca in the round of 16).

Interesting to see if there are any hiccups from River given the last few days.

Winners will play Rosario.

Atlético Tucumán and San Martín Tucumán will play each other for the first time in 5 years on Saturday. Originally scheduled to kick-off at 9:30pm, it's been brought forward 7:20pm in response to the due to fan safety concerns.

It seems everyone is getting a little jittery after last weekend.

River 1-0 Gimnasia after 30 minutes. Horrendous goalkeeping as the ball is spilled into the net after a Martinez free-kick.

It's been pretty even up to now.

EDIT: Sweet. Faravelli pokes home the equaliser three minutes later. Gimnasia fans behind the goal absolutely bouncing!

1-1 at half-time, Gimnasia hanging on a bit since a 40th minute red card. I'll be surprised if they get anything from the game now.

River went 2-1 ahead early in the 2nd half. Then they had a player red carded for a swing of the elbow... and Gimnasia are back on level terms!

Great game, ends 2-2. Gimnasia win on penalties!! :)

Last edited:
Talk of Lavezzi returning to San Lorenzo in the January window. Would be a good signing for the club especially with their disappointing run of form.

Reports that Hernan Crespo will be replacing Falcioni (not renewing his contract) as Banfield manager at the end of the year.

Back