Argentine Superliga

River's squad to face Tigre includes 18 y/o Hernan Lopez. He's the great-nephew of Maradona.

D3aZCreXoAIC_UC.jpg:large

Dr Griffen as you know Racing is my club that I and all Rangers fans should follow.Why does their academy turn a club that was nearly going down.To one that can compete.I love their quick pace counter attack and link up play.Your posts lately have been quality.If possible i know can we look at S.A./Usa/Caribbean for players....I know I will be shot of i said Mexico

Dr Griffen as you know Racing is my club that I and all Rangers fans should follow.Why does their academy turn a club that was nearly going down.To one that can compete.I love their quick pace counter attack and link up play.Your posts lately have been quality.If possible i know can we look at S.A./Usa/Caribbean for players....I know I will be shot of i said Mexico

Simple answer is getting the right people doing the key roles at the club. At the moment that is Coudet and Millito (obviously others came before). They then have to decide on an ethos of how they want the club to perform and then you try to get everyone working towards this aim - easier said than done.

Pesonally, I would like to see us looking in South America for talent. This season we have struggled to breakdown teams who play the low block. I think we could find appropriately creative players who could help overcome this problem in SA. I can understand though why the coaching team may see it as a risk, especially when we aren't overly abundent with money.

Here are some articles on Racing that may help answer your initial question:

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2018/3/28/the-rebirth-of-racing

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/26/sports/racing-club-argentina.html

And since this is the end of the season you'll not be surprised to hear, since this is Argentina, that it actually isn't. We now have the Copa de la Superliga to look forward to. The bottom 20 teams play in the first round and the top 6 enter in the second. And to make thing even more interesting the winner will qualify for the Libertadores - so a team could be relegated and won Continental qualification. Welcome to Argentina. o_O

D3k8htrW0AQgS-U.jpg

D3k8htkX4AA35wE.jpg

Oh, and don't look to the league table to find out who has been relegated. It's based over three seasons so the following teams go down: San Martín de Tucumán, San Martín de San Juan, Belgrano & Tigre.

Ah, Argentina... Tigre qualify for Sudamerican and get relegated!

Relegation means Tigre are unable to take the Sudamericana slot and it goes to Huracán instead. Huracán, though, are facing a penalty for financial irregularities so they might lose out.

It's been a great season. Highly entertaining, albeit a bit overshadowed by the Libertadores shambles.

Onto the Copa de la Superliga, which should also be great entertainment!

And just announced... Huracán have received a 6pt penalty deduction and a transfer ban. They've appealed so the Copa draw remains the same, as do the League standings (for the time being).

How’s Cristian Pavon getting on?

Not seen a huge amount of him lately - think he might have been injured.

Whenever I saw him earlier in the year he still looked a good player. Not sure Boca will be able to sell him for the $35m+ that they hoped for a year ago, though.

Another change for the Superliga next season - 2019/20.

2nd half of 2019 - one tournament with all 24 teams playing each other once.

First half of 2020 - 2 zones of 12 - the winners of each meeting in a final.

That’s just mental is it not? Are the politics involved in reducing the number of teams just too difficult?

It's mental, but it's also normality for Argentinian football.

As far as I'm aware they are trying to reduce the number of teams to play a home and away season. When this finally happens, though, is anyone's guess.

Back