Argentine Superliga

Photo showing the proximity of River (1915-23) and Boca's (1916-24) grounds:

LaBoca.jpg

Poster of a boxing contest between "The Wild Bull of the Pampas", Luis Angel Firpo, and W.F.Lodge at River's old ground, Feb 16, 1924:

D4OqqmqXoAAcpHP.jpg:large

2j4x4au.jpg

Antoni Berni's "Club Atlético Nueva Chicago" (1937) showing at MoMA in New York.

Chicago are based in Mataderos, on the south-western corner of BA - you'll pass by it traveling to the airport from the city centre. You'll also likely smell it given it's home to livestock markets and slaughterhouses.

Argentine cowboys and gauchos come to the Sunday market. There are displays of horsemanship, arts & crafts and food stalls - rural meets urban.

In contrast, Mataderos also has one of the largest public housing schemes in the city.

River's President suggesting that River and Boca could share a new stadium. Reaction has been (unsurprisingly) mixed. Both clubs could easily fill a bigger stadium but are struggling financially (partly down to the strength of the Peso) to commence individual projects (redevelopment or new stadiums). Macri suggested similar in 2003. Never going to happen, though.

Boca president Daniel Angelici has since said - “our club is too big to share a stadium with another club, we are not leaving the neighborhood of La Boca.”

Dr Griffen silly question who is your favourite S.A footballer.I quess it will be a curve ball answer.

Of players I have seen it would have to be Maradona. To me he is the greatest. I had a poster of him on my wall as a boy, so whilst I can now see his flaws as a human being, as a player he is unrivalled.

I'll include some others who may not be so obvious:

Javier Pastore. If you saw him play for Cappa's Huracan in 2009 then what he has done with his career is a travesty. In those early years he was a Prince of a footballer.

The player from history I would have loved to have seen was Adolfo Pedernera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolfo_Pedernera

He was called the Conductor due to the way he controlled the way the great La Maquina team played. This River Plate team of the 1940's are considered the best ever domestic Argentinian team. Arguably, he was the best player in the world when he moved to Colombia to play for Millonarios. There he was pivotal in creating another great team, the ballet azul:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballet_Azul#Millonarios,_the_first_Ballet_Azul

More importantly he evolved the great Di Stefano from being a fast, technical forward (like Henry) into becoming the player who dominated European football in the 50's.

There are so many others, though, that I could add to this list.

Lastly, I'll post a video of another player I never saw play live, Ricardo Bochini. He was Maradona's hero who ironically never got the international recognition he deserved because Maradona was so good.

Crikey, hell of a thread this. Been over a couple of times watching matches and got quite in to it for a few seasons and the Copa Lib and Sud but not so much now.

Have just scanned through this thread so apologies if things are repeated here.

First went Argentina in 2008 with the aim of seeing Boca v River. Saw that costing about 40 quid, Hostel Tour including ticket and bus etc... was great but on the same trip went to San Lorenzo v River Plate in the Copa Lib, went in the away end - Simeone managing River and Falcao playing for them. Cost 3 quid to get in, atmosphere was electric - could feel the stands shaking when San Lorenzo won through a last minute penalty. One experience I really enjoyed was Independiente v Newells played at the Racing Stadium because Independiente was being done up - went in the away end, Newells lost 3 0 but never shut up all match. Also been to Estudiantes, Banfield and seen Oasis at River Plate. never had any bother to be honest with being British. Boca tour is brilliant - got a really knowledgeable guide, River was good but only in Spanish. Went in 2009 to Rosario for the derby between Newells and Central, only match I have been in the world where I ain't had a sniff of a ticket, ring of steel around the Stadium and could hear gunshots - still one match I really want to see. Great City BA, great steak and beer and still raw with good people - would love to go back.

Last edited:
Have just scanned through this thread so apologies if things are repeated here.

First went Argentina in 2008 with the aim of seeing Boca v River. Saw that costing about 40 quid, Hostel Tour including ticket and bus etc... was great but on the same trip went to San Lorenzo v River Plate in the Copa Lib, went in the away end - Simeone managing River and Falcao playing for them. Cost 3 quid to get in, atmosphere was electric - could feel the stands shaking when San Lorenzo won through a last minute penalty. One experience I really enjoyed was Independiente v Newells played at the Racing Stadium because Independiente was being done up - went in the away end, Newells lost 3 0 but never shut up all match. Also been to Estudiantes, Banfield and seen Oasis at River Plate. never had any bother to be honest with being British. Boca tour is brilliant - got a really knowledgeable guide, River was good but only in Spanish. Went in 2009 to Rosario for the derby between Newells and Central, only match I have been in the world where I ain't had a sniff of a ticket, ring of steel around the Stadium and could hear gunshots - still one match I really want to see. Great City BA, great steak and beer and still raw with good people - would love to go back.

Thanks for the pictures and for detailing the matches you attended - envious that you got to see Falcao. It's a brilliant experience that I would recommend to anyone.

No need to apologise. I've been talking the same rubbish for the last two years (others will tell you for even longer than that). :D

There's also a Libertdores thread that you may be interested in:

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/copa-libertadores-2019.57823/

Cheers drgriffen will follow that thread and this one.

Big fan of Falcao and Simeone to be honest, fav ground in Europe was the Calderon before Atletico stopped using it and glad to have seen them both there. When we went Banfield James Rodriguez came on for 10 minutes, only learnt that 2 years ago when looking back at the teams mind!

A journalist was left with a fractured jaw, a broken septum & almost lost vision in an eye after a beating from 3 Racing Barra bravas. Sebastián Acosta had finished recording a radio show when he was attacked for unknown reasons:

D5exAmeWkAAU8rO.jpg

Boca president Daniel Angelici states on Argentinian radio that he wants to bring Ever Banega back to the club in the next transfer window.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Víctor_Antonio_Legrotaglie

I was reading Juninho Pernambucano's Wikipedia page and it listed the most successful free kick takers of all time. Pele, Beckham, Ronaldinho are obviously household names but this guy isn't.

Not even an English Wikipedia page. Has he come up in this thread before?

Antônio Augusto Ribeiro Reis Júnior
(born 30 January 1975), commonly known as Juninho or Juninho Pernambucano[note 1], is a Brazilian former footballer who played as a midfielder and a current football pundit. Noted for his bending free kicks, he is widely considered to be the greatest free kick-taker of all time and holds the record for the highest number of goals scored through free kicks with 77, ahead of the likes of Pelé (70), Víctor Antonio Legrotaglieand Ronaldinho (59 each), and David Beckham (50).[3][4][5]

Cheers drgriffen will follow that thread and this one.

Big fan of Falcao and Simeone to be honest, fav ground in Europe was the Calderon before Atletico stopped using it and glad to have seen them both there. When we went Banfield James Rodriguez came on for 10 minutes, only learnt that 2 years ago when looking back at the teams mind!

Seen the mighty DC in that stadium mate. Absolutely brilliant arena.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Víctor_Antonio_Legrotaglie

I was reading Juninho Pernambucano's Wikipedia page and it listed the most successful free kick takers of all time. Pele, Beckham, Ronaldinho are obviously household names but this guy isn't.

Not even an English Wikipedia page. Has he come up in this thread before?

Never heard of him. Looks like he played primarily in the lower divisions of Argentinean football.

Today is a big day for San Lorenzo fans: the Carrefour supermarket that has occupied their old Boedo stadium site for the last 30 years closes this Sunday. The land will officially belong to San Lorenzo, who will just have left the trifling matter of building a new stadium on it.

Back