Argentine Superliga

Diego Cocca has resigned as Racing manager after losing the classico to Independiente's reserves and for stuffing Mez's bet.

Sporting have apparently bid €10m for River's Gonzalo Martinez. This is €5m short of his release fee but a compromise could be sorted out in the upcoming transfer window.

Independiente vice-president, Noray Nakis, has been arrested for his associations with the club's barra brava.

Shocking image from an Argentine lower league match (Juventud de Pergamino v Independiente de Chivilcoy) after the referee was assaulted:

zu1e88.jpg

Walter Coyette has resigned as Chacarita Juniors manager. That's 10 managers who have been sacked/resigned due to results before the end of round 11.

Others are: Matosas (Estudiantes), Aguirre (San Lorenzo), Vivas (DyJ), Méndez (Belgrano), Sciaqua (Olimpo), Alvarez (Temperley), De Felippe (Velez), Montero (Central), Cocca (Racing).

List doesn't include Almiron who is leaving after tonight's game - he is going because he did well.

River Plate look terrible this season...a few surprises in bottom half of table: Lanus, Racing, NOB, Rosario Central etc.

River Plate look terrible this season...a few surprises in bottom half of table: Lanus, Racing, NOB, Rosario Central etc.

River have been poor. The lost their two best players and the signings to replace them have generally been poor (understatement); Gallardo's future han't helped; they prioritised the CL so rested players domestically; and the way they were knocked out the CL seems to have knocked the stuffing out of them.

Lanus can (technically) go 4th if they win their games in hand so whilst this is unlikely it's understandable that they concentrated on the CL.

Racing are a funny one. Should be doing better with the forwards they have, but Cocca seemed to be more tactically reserved in his second stint as manager. The results against Boca and Independiente sum them up perfectly.

Newell's are a mess just now. Big money problems and have been run by crooks.

Haven't seen Rosario play live this season so not 100% on them. They've lost a number of talented players recently, Lo Celso being the latest, so this may be a factor.

Benfica reportedly interested in Jose Gomez of Lanus.

Velez 18 year old striker Maxi Romero appears to be heading to Stuttgart for €12m.

Last edited:
Ezequiel Barco will sign a deal to join Atlanta Utd FC after the Sud Americana final for $12m.

He might only be 18 but he is a really exciting prospect - see post 204 for a video.

Walter Coyette has resigned as Chacarita Juniors manager. That's 10 managers who have been sacked/resigned due to results before the end of round 11.

Others are: Matosas (Estudiantes), Aguirre (San Lorenzo), Vivas (DyJ), Méndez (Belgrano), Sciaqua (Olimpo), Alvarez (Temperley), De Felippe (Velez), Montero (Central), Cocca (Racing).

List doesn't include Almiron who is leaving after tonight's game - he is going because he did well.

And another manager will be leaving: Néstor Gorosito, of San Martin, will leave after the match against Defensa.

Mauricio Larriera resigns from Godoy Cruz - that's 13 manages gone before the midseason break.

Shanghai say they want $18m for Tevez. No chance of him going to Boca if this is true.

Last night Racing ended Boca's 100% record with a 2-1 victory in La Bombonera. Leading the way for the academy was 20 year old striker Lauraro Martinez with a cracking goal and assist. Wont be long before he's heading to Europe.

Video and wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lautaro_Martínez

Martinez has signed a six year deal with Atletico - he moves in June.

Edit: Atletico also interested in Velez midfielder Santiago Cáseres

What's the behavior of supporters been like this season? I've seen the shocking incidents at lower league level (young fans and referees attacked) so I'm guessing nothing has changed at the top flight games either?

Off the top of my head I don't recall anything worse than the video/photo I posted showing the referees being attacked at the lower league game.

The main issues I can recall with fans in the Superliga has happened mainly away from the ground. After training Independiente Barra Brava hijacked the managers car when he was driving home and demanded money (roughly $50,000) so they could go to Paraguay to watch the team play. He didn't give them the money.

I may have mixed up the club but I think a Racing game was cancelled due to a gunfight between two factions of the club's barra brava.

No doubt there have been other 'minor' incidents but this season seems better than previous seasons. For example, I don't recall any fans dying. (This isn't to diminish the likes of the ridiculous assaults on the refs)

Off the top of my head I don't recall anything worse than the video/photo I posted showing the referees being attacked at the lower league game.

The main issues I can recall with fans in the Superliga has happened mainly away from the ground. After training Independiente Barra Brava hijacked the managers car when he was driving home and demanded money (roughly $50,000) so they could go to Paraguay to watch the team play. He didn't give them the money.

I may have mixed up the club but I think a Racing game was cancelled due to a gunfight between two factions of the club's barra brava.

No doubt there have been other 'minor' incidents but this season seems better than previous seasons. For example, I don't recall any fans dying. (This isn't to diminish the likes of the ridiculous assaults on the refs)
Just following on, is there any appetite for the return of away fans, or is the ban now accepted as permanent?

Just following on, is there any appetite for the return of away fans, or is the ban now accepted as permanent?

Nominally, there has been a relaxation of 'no away fans' being allowed, but it has to be sanctioned by the authorities - this has only happened occasionally and for uncontentious games.

I think most fans would like this to happen, but it does seem unlikely in the foreseeable future.

Being reported in Colombia that Falcao could be heading back to River after the World Cup. Would be some signing if true.

It's been derby day in England but if you are looking for a classico that is slightly more feisty then check out the Rosario derby that starts in 5 minutes.

Gabriel Heinze to be the new Velez coach.

Velez striker Maxi Romero to join PSV for €12m + 10% sell on clause.

The banner unveiled yesterday by Rosario fans is the longest in the world: 500m by 40m.
I hope they had a fire certificate for it! I take it they're going for official Guinness BoR recognition? Over to the Lepers now to outmatch them, at least off the field.

I hope they had a fire certificate for it! I take it they're going for official Guinness BoR recognition? Over to the Lepers now to outmatch them, at least off the field.

Don't know and I haven't read anything about it being a record attempt. If I was to guess I would say it was them trying to outdo Newell's and any previous banners they have made - it is commonplace for banners to be made for these games.

Tough ask for Newell's as they are a mess at the moment. Financial difficulties and a club suffereing from being run by crooks. Maxi Rodriguez was in tears when he left (just won the league in Uruguay) as he didn't want to but did to help the club.

Back