Argentine Superliga

Yesterday's games saw the conclusion of the first half of the season with Boca having a three point lead. The league will resume in the last weekend of January

Almiron has been refused permission to become coach of Las Palmas because he 'lacks experience'.

He has 9 years experience as a first team coach in Mexico and Argentina but because this wasn't continuously in the first division it is deemed not enough. Joke of a decision.

Shocking image from an Argentine lower league match (Juventud de Pergamino v Independiente de Chivilcoy) after the referee was assaulted:

zu1e88.jpg

AFA have announced that Juventud de Pergamino will be relegated after they beat up the match officials.

Former Argentina and River player Lucho Gonzalez has been accused of attempted murder by his wife: "He tried to suffocate me, cut my wrists and throw me from the balcony."

Eduardo Coudet has been announced as the new manager of Racing. He will be working alongside their new Director of Football, Diego Milito.

Ariel Holan has announced that he is leaving (actually been forced out of) Independiente.

If you aren't aware: After training Independiente Barra Brava forced Holan's car off the road and held him hostage as they demanded he pay them $50,000 for their support. Holan refused. He has subsequently received threats and requires police protection. And some still consider the Barra Brava to just be hardcore fans.

Holan is an Independiente fan and has just won them the Copa Sudamericana. Real shame for him and proper fans.

Last edited:
Ariel Holan has announced that he is leaving (actually been forced out of) Independiente.

If you aren't aware: After training Independiente Barra Brava forced Holan's car off the road and held him hostage as they demanded he pay them $50,000 for their support. Holan refused. He has subsequently received threats and requires police protection. And some still consider the Barra Brava to just be hardcore fans.

Holan is an Independiente fan and has just won them the Copa Sudamericana. Real shame for him and proper fans.

Article on Holan's departure:

https://golazoargentino.com/2017/12/20/independiente-rocked-by-ariel-holans-departure/

And, to prove that it isn't just Rangers who can go through Schrodinger's manager syndrome: Ariel Holan has annouced that he is staying at Independiente. Great news for them (despite the shambolic way it was done).

Huracan announce that Alejandro Romero Gammara will be moving to New York Red Bulls for $6.25m.

https://golazoargentino.com/2017/12...ejandro-romero-gamarra-to-new-york-red-bulls/

AFA President Claudio Tapia announces that after the World Cup the Superliga plans to allow visiting supporters again.

Some Argie transfer news:

Betis bid €4m for Indepnediente captain Nicolas Tagliafico.

Paraguayan international Néstor Ortigoza signs for Rosario Central.

Boca sign Julio Buffarini.

Not 100% but River agree a fee of $2m with Xolos (of Mexico) for Damian Musto.

Independiente's Nicolas Tagliafico looks like joining Ajax for €6.5m.

River bid $11m + add ons for Sao Paulo striker Lucas Pratto.

Nelson Vivas announces his retirement as a manager. Video of him losing the plot when he was coach of Estudiantes:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/946492670834290690

Looks like Tevez has come to an agreement with Shanghai and will be announced as a Boca player next week.

Looks like Tevez has come to an agreement with Shanghai and will be announced as a Boca player next week.

Tevez is a fucking disgrace to be quite honest.

You'd think for £800k a week, he'd at least pretend to want to be there, yet he didn't bother his fat arse.

Tevez already back in training with Boca. He said, "I never left." Most in China would probably agree.

DS0PojbW0AIErnq.jpg

He robbed a wage there didn't he? Do you think he still has plenty to offer now he's home?

Everybody, apart from the idiots offering the wages, knew he was only there for the money and was never going to put in a shift. I wasn't joking when I posted earlier that this scenario has been spoken about in the Argie media from the very day he left.

Depends what you mean by plenty to offer? Don't expect the Tevez from his Juventus days - mentally I don't think he's able to push himself to get to those consistent highs again. But, I've no doubt he wants to lead Boca to the Libertadores (which starts soon). If he's motivated for that then he can be a very good player in Argentina and South America (arguably the best).

No chance he'll cut it in a cold climate! Boydie says it never works.

Aye, what's Aguero ever done in England.

Actually think if Pavon can adapt to the change in styles, country etc.........then he could do a job for Arsenal. He's good technically, quick and has a physicallity about him.

Looking to go to River Plate v Belgrano in March. The game is down as 8pm on a Sunday night (18th) - presume it will stay that time? Straightforward enough getting tickets?

Everybody, apart from the idiots offering the wages, knew he was only there for the money and was never going to put in a shift. I wasn't joking when I posted earlier that this scenario has been spoken about in the Argie media from the very day he left.

Depends what you mean by plenty to offer? Don't expect the Tevez from his Juventus days - mentally I don't think he's able to push himself to get to those consistent highs again. But, I've no doubt he wants to lead Boca to the Libertadores (which starts soon). If he's motivated for that then he can be a very good player in Argentina and South America (arguably the best).

It reflects really badly on him you have to say. He may find you can't just turn it on again at his age.

Aye, what's Aguero ever done in England.

Actually think if Pavon can adapt to the change in styles, country etc.........then he could do a job for Arsenal. He's good technically, quick and has a physicallity about him.
It would be comical if so many didn't agree.

Sounds a player. I'll look forward to seeing a bit more of him.

It reflects really badly on him you have to say. He may find you can't just turn it on again at his age.

The only thing to come out well from this debacle is Tevez's bank account.

Your second point is valid, though. Interesting to see if his 'sabbatical' has stuffed or invigorated him.

I will add, I'm not sure if people outside Argentina fully appreciate how highly Tevez is thought of in his home country. For a long time he was held in much higher esteem than Messi - thankfully this is no longer the case. If anything can motivate him then maybe it is maintaining his reputation as the man of the people.

The only thing to come out well from this debacle is Tevez's bank account.

Your second point is valid, though. Interesting to see if his 'sabbatical' has stuffed or invigorated him.

I will add, I'm not sure if people outside Argentina fully appreciate how highly Tevez is thought of in his home country. For a long time he was held in much higher esteem than Messi - thankfully this is no longer the case. If anything can motivate him then maybe it is maintaining his reputation as the man of the people.
I had read that and as much as I rate Tevez could never quite believe it. Was that true across the country or was it a certain demographic who like the working-class hero/man of the people thing he has going on?

I had read that and as much as I rate Tevez could never quite believe it. Was that true across the country or was it a certain demographic who like the working-class hero/man of the people thing he has going on?

Obviously, it wasn't held by everyone, but (surprisingly, for us outsiders) it was the dominant view for a considerable amount of time.

Messi has never played any domestic football in Argentina. This was held against him. He left as a boy and was seen as caring more for Barcelona than he was for Argentina. Whereas Tevez came through the hard way, playing football for money on the streets before making it with Boca. Yes, he left but not before he had helped win trophies for Boca (most famously the Libertadores).

There are also cultural aspects which probably played a part. The gaucho (Martin Fierro is the great epic poem of Argentina) and the pibe are pivotal in defining the way a large proportion of the population sees masculinity and football in Argentina.

I don't know if you ever got round to reading JW's book, but if you haven't then I would definitely recommend it again. Yes, it's about football, but it's also about the osmotic relationship between football, culture, politics etc..........in the country.

Obviously, it wasn't held by everyone, but (surprisingly, for us outsiders) it was the dominant view for a considerable amount of time.

Messi has never played any domestic football in Argentina. This was held against him. He left as a boy and was seen as caring more for Barcelona than he was for Argentina. Whereas Tevez came through the hard way, playing football for money on the streets before making it with Boca. Yes, he left but not before he had helped win trophies for Boca (most famously the Libertadores).

There are also cultural aspects which probably played a part. The gaucho (Martin Fierro is the great epic poem of Argentina) and the pibe are pivotal in defining the way a large proportion of the population sees masculinity and football in Argentina.

I don't know if you ever got round to reading JW's book, but if you haven't then I would definitely recommend it again. Yes, it's about football, but it's also about the osmotic relationship between football, culture, politics etc..........in the country.

I knew there was a bit of resentment towards Messi due to him having been with Barcelona so young. The cultural aspects are fascinating though.

To my shame I haven't yet read it. I will though. I always like JW but I think this one will be particularly good.

Looks like River will be signing Lucas Pratto for $11m after he completed a medical. His fee is the second largest for an Argentinian club after Boca's signing of Riquelme for $15m.

TyC are reporting tha Arsenal are willing to pay the $37m release clause in Cristian Pavon's contract.

River supposedly interested in Club America's Silvio Romero. The former Lanus player has a $5.5m release clause.

Back