Argentine Superliga

drgriffen

I finally get round to starting an Argentinian Football thread and the forum closes. Typical. o_O

Now my composure is regained, I'll update this thread with news and videos from all things Argieball - week 2 starts this Friday.

Preview to the new season:

https://www.cricketsoccer.com/2017/...ig-two-battle-relaunched-argentina-superliga/

Club by club guide:

https://golazoargentino.com/2017/08...eview-a-club-by-club-guide-of-what-to-expect/

Hand of Pod is a weekly Podcast done by English speaking journos based in BA:

https://handofpod.wordpress.com/

Golazo has daily updates (in English) on all things Argieball:

https://golazoargentino.com/

Racing in English Podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/user-68353643/racinginenglish-pod-1-review-preview-and-more

Any other resources you feel worthwhile then let me know and I'll include them in this post.

Last edited:
Arent they showing the Argentine Primera on the new 'Freesports' channel that's launched recently in the UK?

Arent they showing the Argentine Primera on the new 'Freesports' channel that's launched recently in the UK?

Apparently. Don't know when that is starting, though, and what matches they will be showing - only showing two games a week.

Edit: Now 1-1.

2-1 to River at half-time. 2nd goal was a lovely move and finish (especially considering the conditions - waterlogged pitch).

Reading on twitter that Argieball matches wont be shown on UK tv this week.

With the possible exceptions of
Club de Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata and Arsenal de Sarendi, why are Argentinian club badges so utter crap?

With the possible exceptions of
Club de Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata and Arsenal de Sarendi, why are Argentinian club badges so utter crap?

You're way too much of an Argieball anorak to have noticed such things. :p

Had a look at some and the Huracan badge looks quite good.

27yogew.jpg

You're way too much of an Argieball anorak to have noticed such things. :p

Had a look at some and the Huracan badge looks quite good.

27yogew.jpg
I'd forgotten about Huracan, but seriously, when you compare their crests to Brazilian clubs for example, they just 'aint at the races. And I'm not even going to introduce Colo Colo into the equation (though I just have :p).

Highlights of Sunday's games:

Chacarita v Tigre - Absolute belter of a free kick from Chacarita:

Godoy Cruz v Talleres

Rosario v San Lorenzo

River v Banfield

Lanus v Boca

I'd forgotten about Huracan, but seriously, when you compare their crests to Brazilian clubs for example, they just 'aint at the races. And I'm not even going to introduce Colo Colo into the equation (though I just have :p).

Can't say it is something I think about - to be fair, though, the Colo Colo badge is a belter.

1z6vzbn.png

Really ill prepared and I've only listened a few times. Hasn't bothered watching games and is googling as he goes.

Obviously, it could be better but when you consider the amount of games to watch in a weekend (15 last season) and the time this takes then it is no surprise he hasn't watched them all (or that he needs to check info on google). Add in, that he isn't being paid for all the work involved (doing the pod, editing it, travel etc...) then it probably is a bit dispiritng. It also doesn't help that the contributors who turn up is pretty much the same every week - over the time I've listened there have been 25-30 contributors (including the likes of Vickery and Wilson) who bring a different perspective - at the moment it is the same 2 or 3. Etc..........These all contribute to the quality diminishing

I will add I've listened to some fascinating episodes: they had an Argentinian football historian on who talked for about 20 minutes on the evolution of Di Stefano as a player - was really interesting. Or the discussions they;ve had about the Barra Brava - the political connections, criminal activities etc....- which bring a new slant to the perspective that they are uber fans. I could list more they've had on different topics.

I'm not trying to defend it or make it out to be something it isn't, just trying to explain why a Pod like this will go through highs and lows.

No I get it mate - don't expect all matches but this week he hadn't seen any, and pretty sure the only other episode I listened to it was the same. I'll stick with it.

No I get it mate - don't expect all matches but this week he hadn't seen any, and pretty sure the only other episode I listened to it was the same. I'll stick with it.

Reason he hadn't seen any the previous week (week 1) was that he had been back in the UK for 6 weeks.

I used to use Hasta El Gol Siempre as my main source of all that was happening in Argie footy, but as it's always lagging behind these days I rarely give it a thought. It was great in its day more's the pity.

From what I read on twitter they said there had been a delay - don't know why - and they hope it will be resolved shortly.

Ultimately, this can mean anything so still a case of watch this space.

Highlights of Saturday's matches:

San Lorenzo v Arsenal:

Argentinos Juniors v Belgrano:

Defensa v Union:

Newell's v Olimpo:

Independiente v Lanus:

Highlights from Saturday's matches:

Arsenal v Temperley:

Velez v Boca:

Godoy Cruz v Independiente:

Chacarita v Talleres:

Huracan v Union:

Olimpo concede an Olimpico - first time I've seen this in a professional match.

Olimpo v Gimnasia highlights:

Spent last week in Buenos Aires. Didn't get to a game but visited both La Bombonera and El Monumental. Even on non match days both the club shops and surrounding areas were mobbed by supporters. Their passion for their clubs is incredible.
Also saw two police wearing River Plate badges on their uniform lapels. Can you imagine the reaction here if a 'Polis' was to sport a Gers pin?

Spent last week in Buenos Aires. Didn't get to a game but visited both La Bombonera and El Monumental. Even on non match days both the club shops and surrounding areas were mobbed by supporters. Their passion for their clubs is incredible.
Also saw two police wearing River Plate badges on their uniform lapels. Can you imagine the reaction here if a 'Polis' was to sport a Gers pin?

Sounds like you had a good time even if you couldn't take in a game - tough getting tickets for Boca and River as 'tourist' tickets are pretty rare and very pricey.

No doubt the majority of Tims think the police are all Rangers fans, Masons and part of the grand conspiracy, anyway.

If you've any pics of the tours then it would be great if you could post them. Beats listening to my monologue. :D

Latest posts

Back