Argentine Superliga

Cheers, Doc. This was on too late for me last night, so first I've seen any of the match. It's fair to say Boca were more than a tad fortuanate if the highlights are a fair reflection of the game. The keeper has had a howler at the goal, and the miss from the header (Marquez, I think?) was ridiculous. Still, better to be lucky than good :))

Expected Argentina XI to play Germany tomorrow: Marchesín; Foyth, Otamendi, Rojo, Tagliafico; Pereyra, Paredes, De Paul, Ángel Correa; Dybala, Lautaro Martínez

Some defence.

Argentina to play Brazil on November 15th in Saudi Arabia with Messi back before a second friendly against Paraguay on the 18th in Bangladesh.

Could Higuain return to River in 2021? Father Jorge said, "Gonzalo has two more years left in the contract with Juventus. He said he's never closed the door on River."

Did you buy his book?

I haven't. I'm presuming there's little new. If I recall correctly, for example, he was a little dismissive of the suggestion that the players were used by the regime in '78. Does he go into more detail? That would be interesting. A great player and perhaps a little underrated.

The CARP Brooklyn boys loved him, as you would expect.

What did you think of the Maradona documentary?

I haven't. I'm presuming there's little new. If I recall correctly, for example, he was a little dismissive of the suggestion that the players were used by the regime in '78. Does he go into more detail? That would be interesting. A great player and perhaps a little underrated.

The CARP Brooklyn boys loved him, as you would expect.

What did you think of the Maradona documentary?

I haven't read his book - hopefully there is an English version (if there is one) as my Spanish isn't good enough to read books (find it really tiring). He was a fantastic player, from the perspective of a small boy, who was probably in the tier blow the true greats.

I enjoyed the documentary - as much an analysis of Maradona as it was Diego with the perils of living a life of celebrity.

I enjoyed the documentary - as much an analysis of Maradona as it was Diego with the perils of living a life of celebrity.

I came away with a lot of sympathy for Diego, who judging by the early interviews was a thoughtful, insightful young man. The pressure at Napoli looked horrendous.

===

A huge week ahead in Argentina with the election on Sunday. A vote that will likely define the country for many years. I fear, though, it is too late for Macri and we'll see the return of Kirchnerism in the form of Alberto Fernandez.

Fernandez has already talked of the redistribution of wealth - an example being the reassignment of land from ranch owners to workers.

I came away with a lot of sympathy for Diego, who judging by the early interviews was a thoughtful, insightful young man. The pressure at Napoli looked horrendous.

===

A huge week ahead in Argentina with the election on Sunday. A vote that will likely define the country for many years. I fear, though, it is too late for Macri and we'll see the return of Kirchnerism in the form of Alberto Fernandez.

Fernandez has already talked of the redistribution of wealth - an example being the reassignment of land from ranch owners to workers.

That's the thing: how would anyone, irrespective of backround/education, cope in this situation? From the outside it is easy to be envious but living your life under such public scutiny can't be that easy.

Haven't followed the elections that closely but after the recent election I'm assuming the same as you. The only thing that seems certain is that things will probably get worse. Hope I'm wrong.

That's the thing: how would anyone, irrespective of backround/education, cope in this situation? From the outside it is easy to be envious but living your life under such public scutiny can't be that easy.

It was the scrutiny and the manipulation - the Napoli president appeared a right #### and once the Camorra have you, it seems that's it.

I think we also saw glimpses why Maradona/Messi are viewed differently by the Argentine support. It was great wee clip seeing DM curse the crowd for booing the anthem at Italia '90. I'm not sure you'd see that from Messi.

EHfiLIoXkAEy4pL.jpg:large

Confirmation that Beccacece is out as Independiente manager and Fernando Berón takes interim charge once again.

No expert but I'd imagine the last thing Argentina needs is more revamped, renamed but essentially identical Peronism.

No expert but I'd imagine the last thing Argentina needs is more revamped, renamed but essentially identical Peronism.

A return to unsustainable social policies, superficial handouts and government thievery (from private citizens and the state). It's astounding that Kirchner's past indiscretions can be met with such indifference.

But hey, she put football on public television - and I'm sure we'll soon hear about the Falklands again.

Macri recovered some congressional seats so the hope is that Fernández - who hasn't actually detailed any policies - is at least checked.

Last edited:
Back