Argentine Superliga

Fernando Gago announces his retirement from the game. Really good player who probably would have achieved a lot more if he hadn't suffered numerous serious injuries.

EmjGR60XEAAL4Cc

Fernando Gago announces his retirement from the game. Really good player who probably would have achieved a lot more if he hadn't suffered numerous serious injuries.

EmjGR60XEAAL4Cc
He looked superb when he first arrived. He could have been another Redondo if he had got any kind of run after his first couple of years.

He looked superb when he first arrived. He could have been another Redondo if he had got any kind of run after his first couple of years.

He also curtailed his career for his family. He moved back to Argentina when he was 27 so his first born could grow up in the country.

A great result! The last three WC qualifiers in Peru have been draws. A crap VAR decision away from a perfect start to the campaign from Argentina.

Gareca getting a few questions over the defence in the post-match press conference. Peru did start the last qualifying campaign poorly, though.

As an aside, continued unrest in Lima over the impeachment of President Vizcarra. He was replaced last week - the interim Pres. has quit and a new one will be sworn in shortly.

(I'm a day late):

On the 17th November 1946 Juan Carlos Munoz, Jose Manuel Moreno, Adolfo Pedernera, Angel Labruna and Felix Loustau played together for the last time. They were known as La Maquina and are considered to be the front 5 of the best ever domestic Argentinean team.

EnDPzlsWEAYS_EO
I remember watching a documentary about Argentine football and how this River team was revered. They were battering teams when the Argentine league was one of the best in the world. I have to say the River Plate & Boca Juniors football strips are absolute classics

A heart attack while recovering from recent surgery. From Clarin:

"Maradona showed much... of the Argentine idiosyncrasy and two sides of the mirror - one in which it is pleasant to look at ourselves and the other, the one that embarrasses us."

The article goes on to use June 22nd, 1986 as the day that summed up Diego.

A country in mourning. Devastating news.

Back