Argentine Superliga

Might be of interest to Argieball fans:

I was pleased to see Ábila score on Saturday. He always comes across as a decent, hardworking guy.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned previously, but his brother committed suicide in 2020. He revealed this in a post-match interview around the time of Maradona's passing.

His brother had depression made worse by the pandemic. Ábila urged people to reach out for help and that there was little wrong in doing so.

Big words in a machismo culture.

ErVlTIrW8AU9IVO

The above tables were prior to the final games.

Banfield have done well since coming back from the enforced football break. They were lower table last season.

So all Argie Sudamericana final...where is the game? Not the two teams many would pick to reach a showcase final. Neither reached the two championship groups.

Boca are champions!

Crazy ending to the game saw Banfield nab a 95th minute equaliser against 10-man Boca.

Boca win on penalties. Peach of a goal from Cardona.

Various reports that LA Galaxy have offered in the region of $6-7M for around 60% of the rights of Cristian Pavón. A deal is thought to be quite close.

If I can divert the thread a wee bit geographically, there's been some drama going on in Chile.

Colo Colo conceded a penalty in the 6th minute of injury time last weekend, which meant they had a relegation play-off on Wednesday there. Before the match their fans displayed a banner at their training ground stating "Win or we kill you". The message seemed to have the desired effect, as they drew 1-1 to avoid the drop.

I don't know if Chilebear reads this thread, if he does it would be interesting to get his take on what's been a traumatic time for Chile's biggest club.

If I can divert the thread a wee bit geographically, there's been some drama going on in Chile.

Colo Colo conceded a penalty in the 6th minute of injury time last weekend, which meant they had a relegation play-off on Wednesday there. Before the match their fans displayed a banner at their training ground stating "Win or we kill you". The message seemed to have the desired effect, as they drew 1-1 to avoid the drop.

I don't know if Chilebear reads this thread, if he does it would be interesting to get his take on what's been a traumatic time for Chile's biggest club.

This was written prior to kick off. If any more appear, about the aftermath, I will post in the Libertadores thread.

Did Virtual Tours of Newell’s and Huracan last weekend. Excellent, two great Stadiums full of history - two very informative guides. Doing Argentinos Juniors tomorrow.

All Tour guides laugh when I ask if they think away fans will ever return in Argentina, been banned since 2015, all say no chance.

Back