Aribo - out of position?

AC_55

Love him and think he will prove to be a brilliant signing. But can't help but feel he should be playing further up/ number 10 role?

Love him and think he will prove to be a brilliant signing. But can't help but feel he should be playing further up/ number 10 role?
I don't know what his role was with Charlton but from what I've seen he looks better the more advanced he plays.

The caveat is the team hasn't really been performing as a whole lately so it may be too soon to judge these things.

We've definitely not seen the best of him. Glimpses yes, but we need to give him time to prove his worth and as a previous poster said find the right system to utilise him

not effecting games as much as someone with his ability should , however players need room to play we looked a completely different team when space opened up , for this team if we score first and reasonably early we will score plenty ,team is still coming together the team and Aribo will come good , same applys to ojo .

I was surprised to hear he's already 23. Thought of him as an 'up and coming youngster'. Seems to be quite inconsistent but then we've seen this movie a million times before haven't we? New signing does well in the first few games and then expectations are hyped beyond reason.

A good young player who will get a bit lost as.he settles into.life in a Scottish side and our kick and rush SPL.

Some say he had a poor game yesterday, but I thought he was decent to good.
Perhaps we are expecting too much from a still-young player adjusting to a new league and new teammates.
He actually provided good moments that should have seen us score and when he gets into the box his close control is always dangerous.
His head flick on proved decisive and was a rare moment when we as a team got to a high ball before a Livingstone defender.
Probably he should be in the role that Arfield plays around the box.

We have still to see this player's best and he will continue to improve.

Aribo's best position is to the left of the D outside the box, exactly where he scored vs St Joes. the issue is he has to come wide to receive the ball and isn't effective there. the rest of the team is also partly to blame for this. having a proper left back should ensure that the LB and LW don't need aribo to come receive it.

another thing Aribo is good at is recieving the ball and turning to face the goal. he should be playing in the 10 position but to the left slightly. pass and turn and cut open these $$$$hitey teams horrible bank of 10

He may not have played well yesterday but he still stepped up and it was his crucial flick on which assisted Morelos’ goal to put us in front.

Good players will always influence games even when they aren’t at their best.

Would like to see him driving at defences more, more dribbles, he can beat a guy and knows when to lay off a pass having committed a defender. We need more of that in games like yesterday.

Thought he was on the left side for the old firm?

No we played our now-usual formation of 4-3-2-1 with a narrow inside left and inside right behind the striker - almost two number 10's. Aribo played inside left.

Only time this season we've played with typical winger hugging the touch line is when Jordan Jones has played. Not sure if Jones has been told to play that wide or it's just natural for him to drift there and stay there.

Think he’s just taking time to adjust to the pace of the Scottish game.

No surprise that he’s looked better in Europe.

I was surprised to hear he's already 23. Thought of him as an 'up and coming youngster'. Seems to be quite inconsistent but then we've seen this movie a million times before haven't we? New signing does well in the first few games and then expectations are hyped beyond reason.

He was a class above before he even kicked a ball. You wouldn't believe how many had watched him at Charlton.

He has something about him which is exciting and you can see he has a different playstyle to anything we've had for quite a while in his position. Something of a luxury player so far, especially in the big games where he's went missing.

Early days.

The last couple of domestic games have passed him by a bit and I am a little concerned he could end up like Ejaria.
It was great to hear he did so well for Nigeria.
There is clearly a great talent there but whether he will settle in the hullabaloo of Scottish football remains to be seen.

That was probably the 4th game on the spin that’s passed him by, he seems to escape the wrath of the impatient though, unlike Ojo and Barisic.

Was rotten yesterday.

Possibly needs a few games out, he’s played a lot of games with a lot of travel so far (including the Nigeria game) and he’s maybe not used to it.

I disagree a bit with the OP. I think the times he’s looked at his best have been taking the ball a bit deeper and driving straight at the opposition. Can cause chaos as they don’t know whether to go and tackle or to jockey and track back. He’s also got the strength, aggression and footwork to do this effectively.

Playing with his back to goal and the ball getting fired into him, like against the scum, is far less effective.

He played there v Celtic mate and he probably had his poorest game for us.

I like him on the left side of midfield, with the game in front of him.

Beat me too this. He looked totally lost in that advanced forward left side role v the scum.

I also watched him for Nigeria and he was definitely playing a deeper role with, as you say, the game in front of him and a bit of licence to burst forward in support of attacks when possible.

We’ll find his best position in time, I’m sure of it. And the lad can play, so I’m really looking forward to seeing his peak performances in due course

Clearly has ability, looked good in Europe yet has barely kicked a ball in the league.

Was poor against Kilmarnock, St. Mirren, the bheggars and yesterday.

Needs to up his game, as do many others.

Aribo has been decent all season and at times excellent. I don't get this latest narrative from some that he is below par.
Legia at home he was overly negative, everything went backwards and he was poor overall.

Celtic, he was lost. Partly the managers fault for putting him in an alien position.

Yesterday he i felt he was going through the motions.

For me he’s playing within himself and often taking easy passes and not driving the game forward in the same manner as he was early pre season and the early European games.

Fully agree with the OP

When Aribo is deeper he mainly just recycles possession and very often it’s a pass to the centre half’s (which is fine in certain occasions but not when we are drawing v Livingston and Ibrox is getting angry)

Get him up there as a 10 playing off Morelos. Morelos shot over the bar around the 10th minute today was created nicely by Aribo, he ran in to the space from Kent’s pass and skilfully backheeled it to Morelos for his shot over. This is the sort of stuff he can do. Get him further forward.

Think we will see the best of him left side linking with Kent think they will form a very potent threat there both don't mind tracking back which is good hopefully stop our reliance on Tav all the time . Obviously will take time to cement this relationship . Hoping borna can keep improving which should make a very formidable left side

If most can stay off Aribos case then surely we can afford ojo that luxury.
I really don't see the point of picking out certain players for criticism. It does the player no good nor the team.

Some say he had a poor game yesterday, but I thought he was decent to good.
Perhaps we are expecting too much from a still-young player adjusting to a new league and new teammates.
He actually provided good moments that should have seen us score and when he gets into the box his close control is always dangerous.
His head flick on proved decisive and was a rare moment when we as a team got to a high ball before a Livingstone defender.
Probably he should be in the role that Arfield plays around the box.

We have still to see this player's best and he will continue to improve.

He was decent to good-we have a major problem with the support at the games.

No we played our now-usual formation of 4-3-2-1 with a narrow inside left and inside right behind the striker - almost two number 10's. Aribo played inside left.

Only time this season we've played with typical winger hugging the touch line is when Jordan Jones has played. Not sure if Jones has been told to play that wide or it's just natural for him to drift there and stay there.

Inside left isnt really where I am suggesting id like to see him play though. I'd like to see him play the Arfield role, thats what I meant, in the centre. Id like to see if we can mix it with Morelos striker, Kent Aribo Barker. Then behind that jack and davis.

We don’t play with a 10 as such.

Play with two inside forwards. mentally challenged game concluded he’s mince in there.

I think just from the heart of the midfield. Pass and move and drive forward.

We don’t play with a 10 as such.

Play with two inside forwards. mentally challenged game concluded he’s mince in there.

I think just from the heart of the midfield. Pass and move and drive forward.

I agree that we dont play with a 10, for me and many others it was an issue last season. We were crying out for a number 10 thats why id like to see him played there. Centrally, behind morelos. With kent one side and ideally barker the other. Arfield has had a slow start to season so reckon he could drop out to try this?

He did not play a 10 role against he mentally challengeds, contrary to popular belief on here. Inside left, is not a 10 nor what I was suggesting in the OP.

He was a class above before he even kicked a ball. You wouldn't believe how many had watched him at Charlton.

He has something about him which is exciting and you can see he has a different playstyle to anything we've had for quite a while in his position. Something of a luxury player so far, especially in the big games where he's went missing.

Early days.

This is the truth of it.

I was a little perturbed by how many thought he was, and I quote 'a genius' after his first few outings, some of them friendlies.

I see a youngish guy adjusting to a different league at a club with much bigger expectations and demands.

There's a lot to admire about him and with the right coaching it's not difficult to imagine him developing into a real star, but right now games are passing him by and he needs to impose himself more on the play and start making bigger contributions.

The invisible man. How he keeps getting starts is beyond me. Offers nothing apart form a good backwards pass. He has talent but seems terrified to use it.

The invisible man. How he keeps getting starts is beyond me. Offers nothing apart form a good backwards pass. He has talent but seems terrified to use it.

Don't talk pure pish, man. He's been largely excellent since arriving.

Even against Celtic he played well after being moved into his actual position.

23 year old lad, playing for a big club for the first time. To expect him to be playing 10/10 every week is ridiculous. The talent is clearly ripping out him.

He’s a midfielder. He’s excellent at carrying the ball forward from the middle of the park which is critical to us being able to draw teams out to us. Moving him further forward, where most of the game would be behind him, is madness. He has no idea what to do with his back to goal as the game against them showed.

He’s a midfielder. He’s excellent at carrying the ball forward from the middle of the park which is critical to us being able to draw teams out to us. Moving him further forward, where most of the game would be behind him, is madness. He has no idea what to do with his back to goal as the game against them showed.
Except he didnt have his back to goal in that game did he?

Here is Aribo playing as a narrow winger with his face to goal. The OP is suggesting he plays nearer the D, where he has proven he can get a shot on target from.

Football Stewart's pics btw.

Back