Aribo, what is he giving us?

Salsabear

Aribo lacks the power i expected of him, he’s our slowest presser of the ball, he has good feet and is better in the air than i thought he’d be. At the moment he’s too happy to move the ball on a yard to Kamara rather than get his head up. Makes some good forward runs though as we saw fir the goal. I thought Arfield was decent enough today. I dont think we’ll see Aribo at Hampden.
We won’t see him at Hampden because he’s not as effective as Jack, Davis or Kamara.

I’m hoping the next few months under Gerrard’s tutelage he’ll understand what is required in our league.

He’s got the tools to be a standout.

Twosignals

Both OJO and Aribo what do they bring, however on the train coming back we were told that we considering buying OJO, “Seriously You Must Be Kidding”!

ca100

His issues do look similar to what Barisic's were; looks to lack confidence/belief and just generally looks overawed by everything. With time Barisic came good, so hopefully Aribo does too. Gerrard obviously believes in him and he has shown with that him and his coaching staff can really improve players given the time.

TCWNS1872

What is Joe Aribo giving us?
Ball juggling ability for a kick-off. His close control can be exceptional. Once the young man settles in properly, he'll be a real player.

P.S. Lee Bowyer is a corner boy who doesn't know his arse from his elbow despite being a smashing footballer.

Captain Cutlass

Official Ticketer
Although Aribo hasn't exactly set the heather on fire he's hardly been a disappointment either.
It's obvious the boy has considerable talent and I'm sure with a season under his belt playing for Rangers and being managed and coached by Gerrard and McAllister we'll soon see why we went for him.

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
At least he's ours and we have time to mould him. Loan signings not working is worse as nothing can be done. He needs lots of work with coaches, on reading the game. He has flicks tricks and ability but quite often appears to have little idea of the overall tactical picture.

douzpwa

The problem with Aribo is his brain needs to take over the speed of his dribbling and split second decision making once the full coordination clicks we will have a really good player so in summary probably needs more time to settle in the meantime do the simple things imho!

Last edited:

Dex78

Am hoping he will eventually come the player we hoped he would be but at the moment I don't think he is offering much while other players are chopping at the bit to prove their worth

Scooby

Surprisingly, I thought Aribo played a lot better today after he dropped a little deeper following the substitutions. He undoubtedly has huge potential and I’d hate to see it ruined by the demands we put on our players. We’ve seen how it’s going with Ojo, another who came with a decent reputation. Both will require some careful management from Gerrard.
I agree with this.

He was far more involved after the substitutions, he shut down well and made himself available for passes.

I think he is a slow burner, he has the ability but needs guidance. Our gaffer is just the right man to help him.

90minsofmadness

We could perhaps give a young lad time when he's away from his home for the first time in his life and is playing a different style of football in a new side with new tactics.

If you haven't seen glimpses of his potential then perhaps football isn't the sport for you.

rossgers

Official Ticketer
You can see he just lacks that self belief and authority in his game but that will come in time.

His control is exceptional and his movement for the assists he made was terrific.
Agree with this, once he gets the belief required and understands how good he is, he'll be terrific. We are all expecting him to run games at 23 just out of league 1.
I didn't think he looked comfortable in a role ahead of the ball today, he prefers to be in the midfield 3 behind and on the ball. Still got aood assist but at the moment Davis, Jack and Kamara are first picks in there so he has his work cut out.

VMS

An assist for Kent, other runs to break the lines which opened up space for others is what I saw.
If I seenJack or Davis not avalible for selection I would be worried who would fill the gap,when it comes to Aribo I dont have th same concerns

coplandrearl36

Official Ticketer
If I seenJack or Davis not avalible for selection I would be worried who would fill the gap,when it comes to Aribo I dont have th same concerns
That could be said of other positions other than Jack or Davis.

Rotation for games is what SG is all about, he’s doing quite well IMO.

VMS

Watched him today and on many occasion when he should have been looking for the forward pass he moved it sideways imo not good enough,also looked weak on ball retention so again not good enough.hope I am proven wrong but from what I've seen he is a passenger and could be replaced

Govan_derry

Official Ticketer
Aribo will be a top player. We need to give him time to learn and develop into our way of playing. He’s inexperienced but with the players and coaching staff we have he will be massive for us in the future.

Steve Snedden

It's confounding.

He looked like the number 10 we craved when we first saw him in July and he has since had a huge dip in form.

We flattened the middle three and that's when he regressed.

I think he's a talent, a little short of confidence and we're struggling to accomodate him in our system.

He'll be an important player given time.

Sorry I am seeing nothing to suggest he will be a top player for us
And yet I bet you always knew Barasic would come good.

Nobody knows how Aribo is going to progress, he's still fairly new to Scottish football, the hustle and bustle of it all. Which many players have said is a strange mistress that takes time to adjust to.

He's also relatively young at 23 so has all the time in the world. As long as there is forward movement in his development and I believe there is I am sure he will be every bit the player we want him to be.

VMS

And yet I bet you always knew Barasic would come good.

Nobody knows how Aribo is going to progress, he's still fairly new to Scottish football, the hustle and bustle of it all. Which many players have said is a strange mistress that takes time to adjust to.

He's also relatively young at 23 so has all the time in the world. As long as there is forward movement in his development and I believe there is I am sure he will be every bit the player we want him to be.
That's your opinion,mine is he wont

Aribo is a work in progress who will have the doubters on here eating their own words this time next year.Probably the same people who thought Ryan Jack wasn't good enough.

supersonic

Official Ticketer
It's confounding.

He looked like the number 10 we craved when we first saw him in July and he has since had a huge dip in form.

We flattened the middle three and that's when he regressed.

I think he's a talent, a little short of confidence and we're struggling to accomodate him in our system.

He'll be an important player given time.
Perhaps the issue is he isn't played as a number 10 and is out of position and his defensive responsibilities and positioning in the team are holding him back.

blueskin52

Playing for the famous is a massive step up for any young player both physically and mentally. We as a support are prone to quick judgments of players but imo there is a player in there and we just have to let him find his feet and kick on in the second half of the season.

SSR

Today he gave us not very much.
But young lad and hopefully a lot more to come.

Blue Tack

Shadow of his previous form .

Simply can’t start against them at Hampden ,he has looked a big Jessie on the park