Aribo, what is he giving us?

Both OJO and Aribo what do they bring, however on the train coming back we were told that we considering buying OJO, “Seriously You Must Be Kidding”!

His issues do look similar to what Barisic's were; looks to lack confidence/belief and just generally looks overawed by everything. With time Barisic came good, so hopefully Aribo does too. Gerrard obviously believes in him and he has shown with that him and his coaching staff can really improve players given the time.

What is Joe Aribo giving us?
Ball juggling ability for a kick-off. His close control can be exceptional. Once the young man settles in properly, he'll be a real player.

P.S. Lee Bowyer is a corner boy who doesn't know his arse from his elbow despite being a smashing footballer.

Although Aribo hasn't exactly set the heather on fire he's hardly been a disappointment either.
It's obvious the boy has considerable talent and I'm sure with a season under his belt playing for Rangers and being managed and coached by Gerrard and McAllister we'll soon see why we went for him.

At least he's ours and we have time to mould him. Loan signings not working is worse as nothing can be done. He needs lots of work with coaches, on reading the game. He has flicks tricks and ability but quite often appears to have little idea of the overall tactical picture.

The problem with Aribo is his brain needs to take over the speed of his dribbling and split second decision making once the full coordination clicks we will have a really good player so in summary probably needs more time to settle in the meantime do the simple things imho!

Last edited:
Am hoping he will eventually come the player we hoped he would be but at the moment I don't think he is offering much while other players are chopping at the bit to prove their worth

Surprisingly, I thought Aribo played a lot better today after he dropped a little deeper following the substitutions. He undoubtedly has huge potential and I’d hate to see it ruined by the demands we put on our players. We’ve seen how it’s going with Ojo, another who came with a decent reputation. Both will require some careful management from Gerrard.

I agree with this.

He was far more involved after the substitutions, he shut down well and made himself available for passes.

I think he is a slow burner, he has the ability but needs guidance. Our gaffer is just the right man to help him.

We could perhaps give a young lad time when he's away from his home for the first time in his life and is playing a different style of football in a new side with new tactics.

If you haven't seen glimpses of his potential then perhaps football isn't the sport for you.

You can see he just lacks that self belief and authority in his game but that will come in time.

His control is exceptional and his movement for the assists he made was terrific.

Agree with this, once he gets the belief required and understands how good he is, he'll be terrific. We are all expecting him to run games at 23 just out of league 1.
I didn't think he looked comfortable in a role ahead of the ball today, he prefers to be in the midfield 3 behind and on the ball. Still got aood assist but at the moment Davis, Jack and Kamara are first picks in there so he has his work cut out.

An assist for Kent, other runs to break the lines which opened up space for others is what I saw.
If I seenJack or Davis not avalible for selection I would be worried who would fill the gap,when it comes to Aribo I dont have th same concerns

If I seenJack or Davis not avalible for selection I would be worried who would fill the gap,when it comes to Aribo I dont have th same concerns

That could be said of other positions other than Jack or Davis.

Rotation for games is what SG is all about, he’s doing quite well IMO.

Watched him today and on many occasion when he should have been looking for the forward pass he moved it sideways imo not good enough,also looked weak on ball retention so again not good enough.hope I am proven wrong but from what I've seen he is a passenger and could be replaced

Aribo will be a top player. We need to give him time to learn and develop into our way of playing. He’s inexperienced but with the players and coaching staff we have he will be massive for us in the future.

It's confounding.

He looked like the number 10 we craved when we first saw him in July and he has since had a huge dip in form.

We flattened the middle three and that's when he regressed.

I think he's a talent, a little short of confidence and we're struggling to accomodate him in our system.

He'll be an important player given time.

Sorry I am seeing nothing to suggest he will be a top player for us

Sorry I am seeing nothing to suggest he will be a top player for us

And yet I bet you always knew Barasic would come good.

Nobody knows how Aribo is going to progress, he's still fairly new to Scottish football, the hustle and bustle of it all. Which many players have said is a strange mistress that takes time to adjust to.

He's also relatively young at 23 so has all the time in the world. As long as there is forward movement in his development and I believe there is I am sure he will be every bit the player we want him to be.

And yet I bet you always knew Barasic would come good.

Nobody knows how Aribo is going to progress, he's still fairly new to Scottish football, the hustle and bustle of it all. Which many players have said is a strange mistress that takes time to adjust to.

He's also relatively young at 23 so has all the time in the world. As long as there is forward movement in his development and I believe there is I am sure he will be every bit the player we want him to be.
That's your opinion,mine is he wont

Aribo is a work in progress who will have the doubters on here eating their own words this time next year.Probably the same people who thought Ryan Jack wasn't good enough.

It's confounding.

He looked like the number 10 we craved when we first saw him in July and he has since had a huge dip in form.

We flattened the middle three and that's when he regressed.

I think he's a talent, a little short of confidence and we're struggling to accomodate him in our system.

He'll be an important player given time.
Perhaps the issue is he isn't played as a number 10 and is out of position and his defensive responsibilities and positioning in the team are holding him back.

Playing for the famous is a massive step up for any young player both physically and mentally. We as a support are prone to quick judgments of players but imo there is a player in there and we just have to let him find his feet and kick on in the second half of the season.

Today he gave us not very much.
But young lad and hopefully a lot more to come.

Shadow of his previous form .

Simply can’t start against them at Hampden ,he has looked a big Jessie on the park

I missed some of the game as I was travelling.

He did ok yesterday & is good when he gets on the ball in advanced areas due to his close control as demonstrated by his assist.

However I'm just not sure the inside forward role suits him as a player. Tbh I think that role needs someone with a lot movement & pace to disrupt defenders & get beyond Morelos. He has different attributes.

In any case, Ill say it again, its up to the mgmt to find a role which gets the best out of him as dropping deep to cover Barisic hinders him (& us as a team)

I think he needs to believe he is as good a player as he is if that makes sense. Hopefully the coaching team can instill that confidence in him, I am sure they will. We can afford him the time to settle properly and he is contributing as it is.

I think it will be next season before we see the best of him although he looked bright yesterday but the wide forward role doesn't suit him and I hope this wasn't a test of tactics for Sunday. Looked to me Gerrard was trying to find a place for him.

The boy is extremely well rated in England and is getting rave reviews internationally. A little bit like Borna mentioned recently, to play in our thug league you require a very different strength level which the club worked at giving Borna. Aribo will get the same. He’s a very talented player and will become big for us (unless the boo boys get in first).

Aribo is a very good player. He is still finding his feet after taking a significant step up in quality and the club he is playing for. I posted about hickey of hearts being overused and possibly burning him out ok aribo is a few years older but the principle is the same. We need to take our time with him

He only signed in the summer. The boy needs time to adjust to the league and playing for a club the size of ours. I can definitely see he has bagged of talent.

Back