Arsenal Signing Targets

He surely can’t even undergo a medical at the minute whilst still recovering from a bilateral hernia op?

£25m is a huge amount in Scottish football, no matter who you are or how well off you claim to be. I think Celtic have KB'd the bid because they know that Tierney wouldn't pass the medical, and would be sent back up the road with his tail between his legs. Arsenal won't be likely to up their offer, so to keep the fans happy it can be spun as a major coup that they've fought off interest from a big Premier League club to keep hold of him, especially if the rumours that players like Ntcham and Edouard are wanting out. They'll maybe hope he can recover from his fitness issues and punt him next summer, but if he fails a medical now then that would have an impact on any potential interest in the future.

Who were the signing targets incidentally?

Im afraid it seems folk are clutching at straws on this one. Arsenal's own go to journalist is David Ornstein of the BBC, and he confirmed the bids & Arsenal's belief that a deal can still be done.

It seems Arsenal are targeting a left back, central defender, a winger and a Ramsey replacement with their budget. First choice in those areas seem to be Tierney, Saliba, Zaha & a loan deal for Ceballos of Real Madrid. They seem to be targeting young players in the main who can grow and Imorove with them.

Now that sounds difficult to do with a £50M budget but it's not as straight forward as adding all transfer fees up and that's their budget. They are trying to haggle to pay in installments, add ons etc. Plus I'm not sure their budget is only £50M, its an advantage for people to think they have a limited budget in negotiations, plus they will try to generate money from sales. Zaha is looking to prove too expensive so they are heavily linked with the Brazilian winger who started for them in the Copa America Everton Soares.

The frustration with the Arsenal fans is not who they are targeting, but the fact that they can't seem to get any over the line yet. They have seen Spurs come in and try and outbid them for Saliba at the last minute, haggling over the payment structure for Tierney, their Zaha bid laughed out, and their captain refuse to go on tour. They are targeting the owners with a campaign called We Care Do You, and the owners son responded yesterday with an open letter and interview sayingthey are confident deals will be finalised over the next couple of weeks.

THIS. Credible reports from people closely associated with Arsenal have confirmed the interest in Tierney is genuine. Not to mention the two reported bids being real. I understand that the other team from Glasgow have tendencies to make things up in the press regarding rejected 'big money bids', however we need to accept that Tierney is a very good, young, modern fullback. This position is highly sought after all over Europe currently and with the true 'World Class' fullbacks being snapped up for prices between £50m - £70m (Ferland Mendy, Benjamin Mendy, Lucas Hernandez, AWB), £25m for Tierney isn't exactly overly exaggerated. However this does not excuse the fact he's a mentally challenged bastard.

However IF Tierney does go for the reported money then I think it makes our stance with Tav's suitors a little bit easier, £20m then we talk. I think he's a better player than Tierney but age isn't on his side. It's also worth noting, that lot selling players for big money doesn't necessarily mean they will invest back into the squad. The have a circa £55m wage bill to cover and with no guaranteed UCL money they need to pay that somehow.

Arsenal's targets all look relatively promising, hoping Saliba signs for this season (not a loan back) and doesn't end up at Spurs, I've seen him play live a couple of times and I honestly think he has elite potential. Another CB would we be welcomed, Hermoso would be my choice (probably wishful thinking)!! Zaha I would absolutely love to happen but just can't see it happening this window. Never seen Everton Soares play but all reports I've read sound positive, would hope we also sign a more proven winger if Soares does come in, wouldn't say no to Malcom on loan. As for Ceballos I think we are actively trying to punt Elneny and with Ramsey leaving I can see the sense in this, he's a very good footballer, might take a while to adjust to the PL tho.

Wouldn't be overly against using a lot of youth next season and almost sacrificing top six but banking our budget for this window and using it next year. Players like Saka, Nelson, Bielik, Medley, Olayinka, Emile Smith-Rowe, Balogun, Nketiah, John-Jules and Amaechi - all have massive potential and would certainly bring the excitement back to this squad.

The Tierney signing has been in the English papers, as well as Sky Sports News regularly.

They are interested, no question.

Whether or not he's fit enough to move is another question.

His medical will tell us plenty.

Personally I'll be delighted if the wee papish c**t leaves.

He's the heartbeat of their team and he'll be very difficult to replace.

As a Rangers fan that suits me just fine.
Today's Scottish Gossip column on BBC had a bit with Lennon saying he isn't worried about Tierney failing a medical, so I clicked on the link.....

Lennon said Tierney still feels pain when he runs, but (in his expert opinion) doesn't think that should effect a medical.

“It is one of these sort of ongoing conditions that causes discomfort and he was in a lot of discomfort towards the end of last season, to the point where he was struggling to get out of bed."

“It’s a question of trying to let that settle. He is back out on the grass now, which is a good sign.

“I’d like to think in the next two or three weeks he will be maybe not playing, but back into full training anyway.”

I hope he stays. Lennon is saying best case scenario for them is that he might resume full training a week after the season has already started, which would still leave him a few weeks away from actually playing a game. There also appears to be a very high chance that the injury will continue to return and cause him further problems.

Never seen Everton Soares play but all reports I've read sound positive, would hope we also sign a more proven winger if Soares does come in, wouldn't say no to Malcom on loan.

Everton is technically good, likes to run with the ball and take players on. Has a reasonable scoring record for a wide player although you'd like more from him. Tactically he isn't the best - defensive awareness needs improved on - and whilst he isn't small he could do with adding some upper body strength to cope with the Premiership.

Ultimately, like a lot of signings, it would probably be down to how he settled as he has a lot of ability and at 23 plenty of scope to improve.

"There also appears to be a very high chance that the injury will continue to return and cause him further problems."

He will need rested after every few games as that is the only solution to what his problem is.

Today's Scottish Gossip column on BBC had a bit with Lennon saying he isn't worried about Tierney failing a medical, so I clicked on the link.....

Lennon said Tierney still feels pain when he runs, but (in his expert opinion) doesn't think that should effect a medical.

“It is one of these sort of ongoing conditions that causes discomfort and he was in a lot of discomfort towards the end of last season, to the point where he was struggling to get out of bed."

“It’s a question of trying to let that settle. He is back out on the grass now, which is a good sign.

“I’d like to think in the next two or three weeks he will be maybe not playing, but back into full training anyway.”

I hope he stays. Lennon is saying best case scenario for them is that he might resume full training a week after the season has already started, which would still leave him a few weeks away from actually playing a game. There also appears to be a very high chance that the injury will continue to return and cause him further problems.

In an ideal world your scenario pans out and they can neither sell or play him.

I wish him nothing but pain and misery.

Everton is technically good, likes to run with the ball and take players on. Has a reasonable scoring record for a wide player although you'd like more from him. Tactically he isn't the best - defensive awareness needs improved on - and whilst he isn't small he could do with adding some upper body strength to cope with the Premiership.

Ultimately, like a lot of signings, it would probably be down to how he settled as he has a lot of ability and at 23 plenty of scope to improve.

Thanks mate!! Sounds promising.

You mention about him being tactically and defensively poor, do you think this is down to coaching or just the players attitude? And what side of the pitch does he tend to occupy?

As Emery has a reputation for being a very good coach and tend's to have defensively well drilled teams, Sevilla in particular.

If Arsenal where not interest in him.at all then they would quickly deny the stories.

These stories are being written from outside the Scottish bubble.

Perhaps they would not ever wish to do business with 'them' after the Armed Forces Day abberation a few years back ?

It is also not our business...they were always going to sell someone and reinvest to try and stop us getting anywhere. That was always the challenge and all we can do is take care of our own results.

Will Rentbhoy pass a proper medical?

He’s never worth £25m but it shows you how they manipulate the mhedia across the UK

Talksport saying £40-£50m is realistic

What a lot of shite that is

Hope he fails a medical
The emperors new clothes , how can Arsenal fall for this?

Thanks mate!! Sounds promising.

You mention about him being tactically and defensively poor, do you think this is down to coaching or just the players attitude? And what side of the pitch does he tend to occupy?

As Emery has a reputation for being a very good coach and tend's to have defensively well drilled teams, Sevilla in particular.

I'd say his lack of defensive awareness is more to do with coaching than attitude.

I've mainly seen him play on the left but he could easily play in any of the three positions behind the striker (in a 4231).

Julien Laurent, Guardian football journalist, based in London, reporting for ESPN in U.S. Was just interviewed on US TV on Arsenal's signing targets. He immediately mentioned their small budget, then named 6 players they'd be interested in getting in this window.

Any guesses who he didn't mention?

Reported to be limited to around 50m and we're supposed to believe half of it is for an injured full back from Scotland? I'm going with bullshit.

Scottish media at their finest. I'm sure Hartson and Guidi will be doubling down on their efforts tomorrow on Tierney's value.
How can Trippier a fit English international go for 20 mil and Tierneys worth 25 mil

They will get good money for him,a knock-on effect from Robertson and because hes played champions league,,,I personally think he'll be found out in the epl and come slinking back to the tims

There is no way he will pass a medical, he will have a career of being plagued by the same problem.He will manage a few games then will have to rest for weeks to recover.It will be a continuing cycle.
Played too often too young.
His hip problem is chronic and will impact his career from here on in.
The Filth are desperate to unload and will accept any bid on the 8th August,regardless of structure.
Sit tight Gunners.

On one of the forums I looked at someone had posted that. The rest on there simply dismissed it as nothing to be concerned about and urged their Board to 'stop fannying about over just £25m' and get the deal done.:eek:

They are headcases, absolute nutjobs.
Suppose you reap what you sow, Arsenal fans have obviously got into the habit of not winning anything, I suppose a so called £25 million player will be one of their cup finals this season. They must be on the same book as the Southampton supporters lol

Its all deflection folks.
Who on earth is going splash that kind of dosh on an unfit player, who is already behind on pre-season and is a few weeks away from playing and will continue to need rest after games to manage an on-going medical condition?

THIS. Credible reports from people closely associated with Arsenal have confirmed the interest in Tierney is genuine. Not to mention the two reported bids being real. I understand that the other team from Glasgow have tendencies to make things up in the press regarding rejected 'big money bids', however we need to accept that Tierney is a very good, young, modern fullback. This position is highly sought after all over Europe currently and with the true 'World Class' fullbacks being snapped up for prices between £50m - £70m (Ferland Mendy, Benjamin Mendy, Lucas Hernandez, AWB), £25m for Tierney isn't exactly overly exaggerated. However this does not excuse the fact he's a mentally challenged bastard.

However IF Tierney does go for the reported money then I think it makes our stance with Tav's suitors a little bit easier, £20m then we talk. I think he's a better player than Tierney but age isn't on his side. It's also worth noting, that lot selling players for big money doesn't necessarily mean they will invest back into the squad. The have a circa £55m wage bill to cover and with no guaranteed UCL money they need to pay that somehow.

Arsenal's targets all look relatively promising, hoping Saliba signs for this season (not a loan back) and doesn't end up at Spurs, I've seen him play live a couple of times and I honestly think he has elite potential. Another CB would we be welcomed, Hermoso would be my choice (probably wishful thinking)!! Zaha I would absolutely love to happen but just can't see it happening this window. Never seen Everton Soares play but all reports I've read sound positive, would hope we also sign a more proven winger if Soares does come in, wouldn't say no to Malcom on loan. As for Ceballos I think we are actively trying to punt Elneny and with Ramsey leaving I can see the sense in this, he's a very good footballer, might take a while to adjust to the PL tho.

Wouldn't be overly against using a lot of youth next season and almost sacrificing top six but banking our budget for this window and using it next year. Players like Saka, Nelson, Bielik, Medley, Olayinka, Emile Smith-Rowe, Balogun, Nketiah, John-Jules and Amaechi - all have massive potential and would certainly bring the excitement back to this squad.

Agree with most of this other than the comparison with Tav.

If we accept that £25mill is a realistic bid for Tierney, and comparison with the insane English transfer market might say that it is then this does not put the starting bid for Tav at £20mill. It puts it conservatively at £30mill. And that is only because I genuinely believe that the Scottish market has to have a ceiling. Otherwise you are talking £40mill.

Tav’s stats are that much better than Tierney’s.

You make the point that Tav is older but this is more than offset by the fact that Tav also has a functioning skeleton. Which, as i’ve said elsewhere, is generally considered useful in most vertebrate life forms.

The reason that age is an issue is twofold: expected length of career with the buyer and expected future sell on fee. At Tav’s age, length of career with buyer is not an issue as he easily has 5 years at his current peak and you can’t look beyond that as a buyer. However sell-on might be compromised. You’d expect to be able to sell easily but not at elite pricing as he would be (only just) passing his peak. With Tierney’s medical history there is a question mark as to whether he will play for a buyer at all and, if that is a concern then sell-on is zero. That creates far far more risk than Tav being at peak.

I really can’t for the life of me understand why some people view “being 27” as being worse than “having chronic hip issue at 22 and playing 21/38 games last year and almost none in the last 6 months.”

If I was the Gunners I'd hold off and see how the filth get on with the UCL qualifiers. If (when) they get papped out I'd expect the "demands" to drop and them to be considerably easier to deal with.

Who on earth is going splash that kind of dosh on an unfit player, who is already behind on pre-season and is a few weeks away from playing and will continue to need rest after games to manage an on-going medical condition?

Indeed - fattening the calf for a January sale - which would be much more realistic for both teams.

Emre would be mad to spunk a portion of his budget on a player who wont play until October at the earliest.

Last edited:

With regard to Tav in your post mate although age does come into it .Tav never seems to get injured so who would you sign a player like Tav who will be available for every game fully fit ,or a younger guy who spends all his time on the sick .

But Unai Emery has "personally intervened"
8vnb60.jpg

Are Arsenal not a bit in the shit with their finances...not to the extent of admin etc but just to the point they need to reign in spending.

RE Tierney

The whole he is pure broke and his bones are cheese strings is about as credible as the Griffiths is never playing again and a druggy stuff etc and so on....

I doubt they will get close to 25 million for Tierney.

In an ideal world your scenario pans out and they can neither sell or play him.

I wish him nothing but pain and misery.

As you know mate I heard a while ago he is pretty much going to be riddled with hip problems for the foreseeable. The condition has actually retired some players early in worst case scenarios, he won’t be playing full seasons for them anymore I’m fairly confident of that so we may indeed end up getting the best of both. An injured Tierney barely featuring over the course of the season will see his value plummet.

Last edited:
He's a good player, but an injury plagued player not really tested outside Scotland, He did nothing of note in Europe and isn't even Scotland first pick, "if" he does go to Arsenal I don't think it will be for 25m unless it is over say 5 years and depending on games played, you can bet "IF" and its a big if if he does sign no one will really know the final amount.

Yeah its the same on Twitter, their fans are convinced he’s going to be their version of Andy Robertson.

Holy %^*& they are in for a massive let down. At the higher end in Europe hes been utterly ragdolled, and hes injury prone.

If we accept that £25mill is a realistic bid for Tierney, and comparison with the insane English transfer market might say that it is then this does not put the starting bid for Tav at £20mill. It puts it conservatively at £30mill. And that is only because I genuinely believe that the Scottish market has to have a ceiling. Otherwise you are talking £40mill.

You make the point that Tav is older but this is more than offset by the fact that Tav also has a functioning skeleton. Which, as i’ve said elsewhere, is generally considered useful in most vertebrate life forms.

The reason that age is an issue is twofold: expected length of career with the buyer and expected future sell on fee. At Tav’s age, length of career with buyer is not an issue as he easily has 5 years at his current peak and you can’t look beyond that as a buyer. However sell-on might be compromised. You’d expect to be able to sell easily but not at elite pricing as he would be (only just) passing his peak. With Tierney’s medical history there is a question mark as to whether he will play for a buyer at all and, if that is a concern then sell-on is zero. That creates far far more risk than Tav being at peak.

I really can’t for the life of me understand why some people view “being 27” as being worse than “having chronic hip issue at 22 and playing 21/38 games last year and almost none in the last 6 months.”

Inclined to agree. Using Tav's age as a reason for lesser value perhaps wasn't the best comparison. I do believe Tav is a better player and you'd get much more out of him over a season and a contract span. If Tav is here for next season and lifts a trophy, particularly the league. Then I don't think it'd be unreasonable to expect £30m.

For what it's worth I genuinely believe Tav is England's third best right back, currently Trent and AWB are better. I don't know if it's delusion or not but I just don't see Walker as a better fullback than Tav :p

For £25m, a figure that would genuinely smash the record for a Scottish player, you’d expect a kid of such phenomenal ability and consistency of performance that dozens of other clubs would be beating a path up Breezeblock Boulevard for his signature.

We would have to be talking a truly exceptional talent, and while I do think he has a lot of potential, a figure of that size looks way out of proportion, both in terms of the ability he’s shown to date and when taking into account his injury problems.

In short, I’d be astounded if Arsenal paid anything like that for him.

With regard to Tav in your post mate although age does come into it .Tav never seems to get injured so who would you sign a player like Tav who will be available for every game fully fit ,or a younger guy who spends all his time on the sick .

I never meant for my post to sound like I was bashing Tav, I'd say he's probably the best player in Scotland with regards to ability and what he offers us. I'm 22 and Tav is without question the best RB I've seen in Scotland. I'd love for Tav to stay and lift a league for us and then sell him on for a record Scottish transfer retire at Ibrox!!

As you know mate I heard a while ago he is pretty much going to be riddled with hip problems for the foreseeable. The condition has actually retired some players early in worst case scenarios, he won’t be playing full seasons for them anymore I’m fairly confident of that so we may indeed end up getting the best of both. An injured Tierney barely featuring over the course of the season will see his value plummet.
This is why they want to punt him to the highest bidder and have invested a large chunk of cash in a replacement.

I never meant for my post to sound like I was bashing Tav, I'd say he's probably the best player in Scotland with regards to ability and what he offers us. I'm 22 and Tav is without question the best RB I've seen in Scotland. I'd love for Tav to stay and lift a league for us and then sell him on for a record Scottish transfer retire at Ibrox!!
Never thought you were bashing Tav mate its just wanted to emphasis that age isn't everything as some commentators in the press like to point out I'd rather have a 27 year old who never has a day of through over a 20 year old or whatever his age is who is always injured . Naw your post was good .

On top of that, am I right in thinking Tav would count as a home grown player in England as well?

Tierney wont go for £25m. If a series of highly doubtful events happen he might make that. The bankable figure will be closer to £15m.

Tav has better stats in the SPL but Tiernay has played Champions League. SPL and Europa league aren’t going to be valued as highly.

No SPL player without good European performances will go to the EPL for big money.

Sad but that is where we are

Julien Laurent, Guardian football journalist, based in London, reporting for ESPN in U.S. Was just interviewed on US TV on Arsenal's signing targets. He immediately mentioned their small budget, then named 6 players they'd be interested in getting in this window.

Good update. Food spot

Any guesses who he didn't mention?

Reported to be limited to around 50m and we're supposed to believe half of it is for an injured full back from Scotland? I'm going with bullshit.

Scottish media at their finest. I'm sure Hartson and Guidi will be doubling down on their efforts tomorrow on Tierney's value.

Good update and interesting how things are reported in neutral environment

David Ornstein has been reporting on this for the BBC, he's based in London and is very close to Arsenal. Their interest in Tierney is real.

I work with an Arsenal fan in England. He was telling me that their normal go to BBC man has been sacked. Don't know if this is the same guy or not. He also said that this guy seems to be getting his news from Scotland and not Arsenal. FWIW he seems quite keen on Tierney but I showed him the stats, his injury record and Lennon's comments and he's cooled a bit. I think a lot of them are taken in by the hype.

Tierney wont go for £25m. If a series of highly doubtful events happen he might make that. The bankable figure will be closer to £15m.

Tav has better stats in the SPL but Tiernay has played Champions League. SPL and Europa league aren’t going to be valued as highly.

No SPL player without good European performances will go to the EPL for big money.

Sad but that is where we are

You have surely seen his record in the Champions League? There's nothing good about his performances in that. I'm sure those are the sort of games that Arsenal will be looking at to see just how much he's worth. I'll be astonished if they pay £25m for him.

They've already spent £6m on 18 year old Martinelli and are about to spend £27m on Saliba before loaning him back to St Etienne for a season. That's £33m on two players who will not strengthen their first team this season. I suspect there's a lot more spending to come. No chance will they only be spending £50m this summer.

If that scenario is accurate, then no club shells out millions of pounds on such an uncertain investment.
Medicals for players at these high prices are very thorough and The Filth if they know this [Tierney's condition] to be the case, will certainly not allow this player to undergo such a medical lest it blows the pretence that they have a valuable asset on their books.

Now I don't have a clue what the truth is here, but if Tierney stays at The Jimmy Savile Dome and doesn't move, then one can pretty much be sure that he is indeed suffering from a debilitating condition consistent with the rumours.
If this is the case, then the duplicity of the press and media in Scotland who must be aware of these rumours 'with bells on' to continue with the pretence in the publics face, is just a further demonstration of how much they are in bed with Filth FC
Further proof even that we have a press and media in Scotland who probably helped cover up the decades-long abuse of children by a paedophile ring inside the East End House Of Darkness.
One might think.

Who were the signing targets incidentally?
  • Arsenal have agreed a deal to sign Brazil forward Everton in a £36m transfer from Gremio.
  • Arsenal are desperate to sign Barcelona's Malcom on loan but the La Liga champions are demanding £50m upfront.
  • Dani Alves is prepared to take a pay cut to join Arsenal - but still wants £200k-a-week wages.
  • Arsenal are confident they will beat Tottenham to the loan signing of Real Madrid starlet Dani Ceballos and get the deal done before the weekend with the player keen to sort his future.
All reports from the UK papers this morning. I think the ESPN guy mentioned a couple of them, but not Alves or Malcom.

I understand others have reported the bids and I see the defense of "why didn't Arsenal deny it". However, I find it very strange that when you remove the Scottish mhedia filter, the story goes from being a cert, to being a rumor.

Back