Arsenal

Need to sort out the two centre backs need a couple of commanding figures in there & hold on to Aubameyang, they don't have the same money as others in the Premiership and if they can't get access to the CL money could be struggling for quite a while.

He's absolutely pish. Been getting race reviews all week for some strange reason. An absolute weak link defensively.
I've watched a number of teams target him in matches.

There was a moment summed him up today, had the ball at the spurs corner flag. Didnt know what to do, worked his way back until he could play it back to the keeper.

Players actively refusing to play him the ball in the second half, knowing it would go backwards.

They need to stop giving inflated contracts to over the hill players. This includes Aubameyang, if he leaves this summer so be it.

Get 2 new CBs and a RWB in.

In truth, they’d actually started to pick up a bit in recent weeks.

It was all a mirage though, with this Arsenal team the next slip up is never far away.

I honestly do believe they should have sounded out Brenda about joining.

Get shot of there owner and business plan that has failed to deliver any success in years if they want to challenge they need to start at the top , I suspect there board are happy with league positions aslong as their books are sitting pretty

They need to sign proven players and appoint a top level manager.

They're forever trying to be clever attempting to sign the next big thing. Just sign the big thing FFS.

A time machine? I see them in the same bracket as an Everton now. Shame because growing up watching the invincibles was special.

Arsenal are miles off having a squad capable of competing for the title and they don’t even look close to competing for a champions league spot. A huge problem for them is the boardroom and Kroenke. There doesn’t seem to be any genuine ambition, they are just happy to be making money.

On the field they have some good young players but overall are very weak, particularly the spine. There are no leaders in that team either.

If you were to pick a squad of 25 players from the Premier League how many Arsenal players would make it? Only Aubameyang & Leno would be close for me and neither would be a definite yes. To me that sums up where they are.

Its simple, only a very small amount of teams in every country win each year so 8f you have Liverpool and Man City they have no chance.

I posted in a previous Arsenal thread on how the documentary of 89 is so strikingly similar to the predicament Arsenal find themselves in today. The question is will Arteta sort out the squad as ruthlessly as George Graham did?

Exactly. He's been beat 3 times this calender year and the same thread gets started after each. If you look at the results, given what he has, Arteta has done quite well. He keeps getting let down by individual mistakes, but he doesn't have any other choice but to play what he has.

He has a top young defender already signed, he needs another 1 at least you would say, and a couple of good midfielders. Then judge from there.

Who's the top young defender?

Has to be one of the worst defenders in the epl yet he keeps getting picked for the first team by successive managers. Him and Luis at the back is a recipe for disaster.

Totally with ya. I'd heard the stories but today was probably the first time i'd watched him play. Honestly shocked with how bad he was

Arsenal were the best team going forward but defending is equally important and any team who plays Luiz as one of the main men at the back is playing with fire...he’s a nightmare.

They are at least a few years away from being a top 4 team again, never mind challenging for the title.

Going to be hampered by the difficulty of getting rid of the likes of Mustafi, Özil and Xhaka on crazy wages that no other club will pay

Weird to see so many wanting Arsenal to fail because they signed a pape, as opposed to wanting to see them do well given there’s an ex-Ger in charge.

I thought they were the obsessed ones?

Who's the top young defender?

William Saliba, they actually signed him last summer but part of the agreement was that he was loaned back for the season. He's only 19 so still got a lot to prove, but is highly rated and has a lot of the attributes Arsenal lack, height, pace, stature, athleticism, composure for starters.
They'll obviously need more though, and better protection from midfield.

Jury still out on Arteta but they will stick with him for at least another season.

The squad needs a major overhaul.

Arsenal are heavily linked with Thomas Partey, Memphis Depay and Dayot Upemacano. If they got those 3 then that would be a sign of intent, but being realistic no chance will Arsenal sign 3 players of that calibre.

stop hoping that proven duds will somehow magically become great

if they're going to spend big, spend it on proven reliable talent
the money on Pepe & Glassman is mental

Really don't understand the criticism of Arteta? They look like a far more organised side already under him, I have been quite impressed by them recently. Pretty sure I seen a form table a week or two ago that had them 2nd behind Liverpool since Arteta became manager? What more are people expecting? :D

He is going to need time and a few transfer windows to put his stamp on the side.

I think he definitely has something about him and will do really well given time.

Really don't understand the criticism of Arteta? They look like a far more organised side already under him, I have been quite impressed by them recently. Pretty sure I seen a form table a week or two ago that had them 2nd behind Liverpool since Arteta became manager? What more are people expecting? :D

He is going to need time and a few transfer windows to put his stamp on the side.

I think he definitely has something about him and will do really well given time.

Think they've slipped to 4th in the calender year table after yesterday's results, but considering the defence he has I'd say that's a very decent achievement.

It's like they forget Liverpool under Klopp, took over in October and could only guide them to 8th that year. FF would have him sacked for that! :eek:

At least under Arteta Arsenal look as if they want to win. That wasn't always the case before he arrived. Arteta needs a couple of transfer windows to see if he's capable of the gig.

William Saliba, they actually signed him last summer but part of the agreement was that he was loaned back for the season. He's only 19 so still got a lot to prove, but is highly rated and has a lot of the attributes Arsenal lack, height, pace, stature, athleticism, composure for starters.
They'll obviously need more though, and better protection from midfield.

I’d argue this is the absolute opposite of what Arsenal need and why they find themselves where they are at the minute.

Instead of blowing £72m on Pepe and £25m on Tierney they should have went out and bought two finished articles, say Koulibaly (Napoli) and Fernandez (Man Utd).

Arsenal are in a rut and need to get out of it. They need winners, not projects. I don’t think the board are overly interested either, as long as they continue to get a return on their investment.

Re signing David Luiz killed all hope I had for Arteta as the manager. Spending £72million on Pepe when you have that defense is criminal tbh.

If they can keep a hold of the two strikers and sort out the defense they could be challenging top 4 again but they make the same mistakes time and time again

I’d argue this is the absolute opposite of what Arsenal need and why they find themselves where they are at the minute.

Instead of blowing £72m on Pepe and £25m on Tierney they should have went out and bought two finished articles, say Koulibaly (Napoli) and Fernandez (Man Utd).

Arsenal are in a rut and need to get out of it. They need winners, not projects. I don’t think the board are overly interested either, as long as they continue to get a return on their investment.

Fernandes at Man Utd wasn't really proven more than Pepe. Both had come off of good seasons in inferior leagues, the French league is probably stronger than the Portuguese league. There were still major doubts if he could translate his form in the top league, hence Utd & Spurs didn't complete his signing last summer when his agent was trying to punt him everywhere. It's just Utd did out of desperation in January, and it's paid off for them. Arsenal signed Pepe for that amountk because they were able to pay his transfer off over 5 years as part of the deal. Fernandes has worked out, Pepe hasn't, sometimes that happens.

There's also a reason Koulibaly is still at Napoli despite all the top clubs needing defenders, and that's Napoli are wanting an absolute fortune for someone that's nearly 30, and up to now, no one, even teams with a lot more money than Arsenal are willing to pay it.

There's an acceptance at Arsenal this is a long term project, and part of that is signing highly rated younger guys (like Saliba) and complimenting them with some good experienced players (like they will try and do with Partey), and build it from there. Take Liverpool for example, they built over a few years to where they are now, like Utd and Chelsea are trying to do as well. They are just able to do it with bigger budgets.

That entire club needs a shake up. New ambitious owners, who will invest and make Arsenal a true destination club for players. A big attacking signing a season does f all when they have a mediocre midfield and poor defence. It's a shame too because as much as people take the piss out of the emirates being a library they have a massive dedicated support who have had to settle for simply playing champions league football and the odd fa cup over the last 15 years but they're now at a point where they can't even qualify for the champions league. The only thing Arsenal really have going for them at the moment is they have a couple promising academy players coming through and two genuine quality attackers. That's a depressing state for a club like them.

The best thing about the return of football this summer has been the Arsenal Fan Tv ‘watchalongs’.

Spawned my new favourite GIF

giphy.gif

Back