Arsene Wenger's proposed changes to the offside rule

Absolute shite, last night we saw a goal disallowed because a players big toe was offside. This does not encourage attacking football. The benefit of the doubt should always be with the attacking team.
Big toe or not , it’s offside ! Why do people think that’s shouldn’t be off. It’s offside whether it’s your toe or you’re 10 yards off. People wanted correct decisions made and var is 99.6 % accurate. It’s the delay and the way fans are left in the dark that causes the issue.

Ridiculous idea , for the exact reason you said. Just Don’t see the reason to change the rule , they brought in VAR to get offside calls correct , and whether it’s 10 yards or 1 inch off , it’s still offside.
The way it is at the moment it’s going to kill football , players who play on the shoulder of the last defender is almost a thing of the past due to var

Ice hockey offside, works there but then they have a static offside line.
Don't know what difference it would make though, maybe give the attacker a chance to drag a foot behind in the run in to stay on.

Absolute shite, last night we saw a goal disallowed because a players big toe was offside. This does not encourage attacking football. The benefit of the doubt should always be with the attacking team.
There’s no benefit of the doubt required though - he was offside

Stick a sensor on the chest of every player. Monitor the players position. Would be so easy to monitor off side with the right technology.

I think it's the wait and drawing of those stupid lines that is the biggest pain in the arse. VAR for offside decisions should be a linesman view camera angle - if it isn't clear and obvious that the attacker is offside from that then they are on - Also, limit the decision time to 30 seconds, again reviewing it any longer means it isn't clear and obvious.

Exactly, essentially moving the goal posts for no reason is the way I'm seeing this.

It's to do with perception as well. Fans and general viewers are more likely to be annoyed by a goal not given when 99% of you is onside, than the other way round. There is less likely to be the feeling of hard done by when the attacker is ahead of play.

Every player already has a GPS sensor on their back so they can adapt this.

Or when using var use the centre or the players head. That way we don't have any toes offside. If someone has fallen over and their head is in an odd place, tough. Athletics already use the head/body to see who has crossed the line.

It's to do with perception as well. Fans and general viewers are more likely to be annoyed by a goal not given when 99% of you is onside, than the other way round. There is less likely to be the feeling of hard done by when the attacker is ahead of play.

This. You are correct here. Folk will be more forgiving for players being a few mm inside rather than offside.

What they need to do is realise the limitations of the technology and introduce a small margin of error of say 1.5cm either side of the defenders last point nearest the goal line.

Then there is a 3cm buffer area in which the call goes with the attacking player (ie benefit of the doubt).

Sorted.

The one possible flaw with this is that because a striker can effectively have a head start on a defender, well probably see defenders compensate and sit deeper. Only way to see mind you is to try it.

How

How is it ridiculous? It easy to make this change as it is so simple: as long as any part of the attacker is onside the goal stands.
Easy to change and no more goals off by a bawhair.
I have been discussing this with my brothers for weeks. So simple to implement.
How does changing where a line start cancel out ball hair decisions?

You'll get the same ball hair decisions.
An identical number over an infinite sample of games..?

What they need to do is realise the limitations of the technology and introduce a small margin of error of say 1.5cm either side of the defenders last point nearest the goal line.

Then there is a 3cm buffer area in which the call goes with the attacking player (ie benefit of the doubt).

Sorted.
It's not that complicated.

Freeze the frame.
VAR guy has eyes. Does he look offside.
Yes. Offside.
Don't know, can't tell, no?
No clear and obvious error, onside.

Ridiculous idea , for the exact reason you said. Just Don’t see the reason to change the rule , they brought in VAR to get offside calls correct , and whether it’s 10 yards or 1 inch off , it’s still offside.

Nah, the rules are too tight for VAR. I’m amazed that anyone would argue with that.

Not getting a goal because your armpit is offside is ridiculous.

I don’t mind VAR but the current rules don’t suit it.

How does changing where a line start cancel out ball hair decisions?

You'll get the same ball hair decisions.
An identical number over an infinite sample of games..?

It's not about cancelling out ball hair decisions. It's about trying to minimise perceived injustices.

Aside from the fact we'll have VAR tomorrow?
Yes, aside from that. I don’t think the same poor standards of refereeing has been an issue for us in Europe. Whereas it’s weekly domestically and there’s no sign of VAR any time soon.

I think the easiest and best way to interpret offside would be feet planted on the ground. If the defender’s furthest back planted footed closer to the goal line than the attacker’s furthest forward planted foot then it’s onside.

It's not that complicated.

Freeze the frame.
VAR guy has eyes. Does he look offside.
Yes. Offside.
Don't know, can't tell, no?
No clear and obvious error, onside.
Yeah but this way clear and obvious is defined (1.5cm). Whereas without this people will just argue over what is and isnt clear and obvious.

It's not about cancelling out ball hair decisions. It's about trying to minimise perceived injustices.
I genuinely don't understand why moving the line would change that.
Attackers in general will just be a step further forward.
The frame will be frozen as now. And lines will, or won't be as accurate as now.
Just instead of lining up armpits we'll be lining toes to arses or knees to heels?

It is a fair point.

With everything else in football if the ball is not completely over the touch line, by line etc it’s not a throw in or goal kick.

Same could apply to offside rule. The whole body has to be offside. It also encourages attacking football and would give us a major advantage domestically.

All it does is move the problem. Instead of being a bawhair offside , we’ll then be debating that a player is a bawhair onside.

Yeah but this way clear and obvious is defined (1.5cm). Whereas without this people will just argue over what is and isnt clear and obvious.
So we don't save any time? Keep drawing the same lines?

My way is clearly defined. If you need to draw a line to see it. It's not clear or obvious.
And saves about 200 seconds per close offside call.

I'm in the Luis Figo camp.If you are in an offside position irrespective of not interfering with play or not you sshould be deemed offside.It would stop all this f*cking about
The same should be said for every hand ball in the Penalty box should be a penalty or is that to harsh.

instead of being offside by an armpit, you will be onside by an armpit. its the ridiculously small margins that are the problem.

I genuinely don't understand why moving the line would change that.
Attackers in general will just be a step further forward.
The frame will be frozen as now. And lines will, or won't be as accurate as now.
Just instead of lining up armpits we'll be lining toes to arses or knees to heels?

Because like I said before, people feel a more sense of injustice at goals not given when 99% of your body is onside. Most agree the benefit should go to the attacker. That wasn't happening in the old system. It is in this new system.

VAR works for definites

Offside is offside

A goal is a goal

When subjectivity comes in that's where it is baffling

The Chelsea goal that was chopped off for the push... the Zouma was initially pushed and should have had a penalty

Because like I said before, people feel a more sense of injustice at goals not given when 99% of your body is onside. Most agree the benefit should go to the attacker. That wasn't happening in the old system. It is in this new system.
I disagree then. Defenders and fans of the defending team will be in as much of a rage as anyone is at the moment.
You're just moving a problem. Not fixing it.

How

How is it ridiculous? It easy to make this change as it is so simple: as long as any part of the attacker is onside the goal stands.

Surely this just shifts the line, but doesn't change the fact that a decision could still come down to being a bawhair on or off?

Sounds like it benefits the attacking player more than the current rule, but still leaves the fact that when VAR reviews something, the player's big toe could be the only thing keeping him onside.

So we don't save any time? Keep drawing the same lines?

My way is clearly defined. If you need to draw a line to see it. It's not clear or obvious.
And saves about 200 seconds per close offside call.

Yeah my method wouldnt save time, it would be the same amount of time.

Would just need to draw one line, but make it 3cm wide, and so margin or error can be clearly seen and take out debate about what someone calls clear and obvious and another doesnt.

Not drawing a line at all could lead to some horrendous VAR decisions cause then u would see refs and pundits wrongly interpreting the position and angle of line as it goes past the defender.

Shortarses like Aguero will be replaced by Peter Crouches who will cunningly have their shooting foot in the six-yard area and the other one out the box.
We need big Kyle back.

They brought in the offside rule to stop players poaching and standing on the penalty spot waiting for the ball' not for a player to be 1 inch offside

Exactly, Giroud scored a peach of a diving header on Monday and due to his big toenail being offside it was chalked off. Absolute nonsense decisions are being made. Offside was NEVER about these stupidly minuscule fine margins that are now only possible due to technology.

I disagree then. Defenders and fans of the defending team will be in as much of a rage as anyone is at the moment.
You're just moving a problem. Not fixing it.

Well, look at this thread. There's been umpteen different opinions, umpteen different solutions offered, and yet everyone is still debating. I don't think it's a solution that will ever have a total fix, with the pace of the game and the fine margins involved.

What the general viewership of games want is more goals in games. By staying the way as it is, your ruling out what the general viewership see as a lot of 'good' goals. Look at the rage in here when it happens.

Sure, the defending team might seem a bit hard done by, but the rules will still be the same for everyone. There just more sympathy towards attacking plays from the neutral because the neutral wants to see goals, so the outrage shouldn't be as much.

Go back to the original rule. There was never anything wrong with it.

OR, offside is a form of cheating and should be treated as trying to gain an unfair advantage. Book players for being persistently offside. That'll fix it.

OR, use 4 linesmen, two have to flag offside or play continues.

OR, only players inside the penalty box can be offside.

OR, do away with linesmen altogether - they're bigger cheats than the refs. And get rid of the bloody 4th official. And the CO while I'm at it.

OR, retrospectively dock points for clubs that win by an offside goal.

OR, retrospectively award points to clubs that have lost out due to incompetent / cheating officials.

OR, ask a panel of sports writers to re-referee matches within 2 days and award points based on their views.

edit: multiple options can be used.

Offside is my one big gripe with VAR, this has the potential to make it worse.

It's not offside that needs changed, it's the lines to see if a guys nipple is offside.

If they can't tell by looking at it, then let it go.

It’s a real problem.

Seeing the guy standing next to corner flag have his heel an inch offside in the build up to a headed goal going in is just ludicrous. Completely against the spirit of the game.

As you’re suggesting, I genuinely think allowing a small degree of referee’s judgement and assessing if it’s “interfering with play” was a better system, flaws and all.

Ice hockey offside, works there but then they have a static offside line.
Don't know what difference it would make though, maybe give the attacker a chance to drag a foot behind in the run in to stay on.
Given how fast football moves today, this would be my favoured solution. Draw another line say, halfway between the 18yd box and the halfway line. If an attacker is ahead of this line when the ball is played over it, then they are automatically offside. If an attacker carries the ball over the line, no more offside once the ball is in that portion of the pitch.

It is a fair point.

With everything else in football if the ball is not completely over the touch line, by line etc it’s not a throw in or goal kick.

Same could apply to offside rule. The whole body has to be offside. It also encourages attacking football and would give us a major advantage domestically.
I agree, anything to stop this farce of your Afro being offside.

Given how fast football moves today, this would be my favoured solution. Draw another line say, halfway between the 18yd box and the halfway line. If an attacker is ahead of this line when the ball is played over it, then they are automatically offside. If an attacker carries the ball over the line, no more offside once the ball is in that portion of the pitch.
I’m sure they tried this in the old league cup in Scotland many moons ago, and all it led to was the diddy teams packing their defences even more.

No need to change it. No one says that ball was a bawhair from being fully over the line so it should be a goal.

If lines can be drawn on using VAR that gets the right result then what’s the issue?

How

I totally agree ifany part of your body is inline with the defender you should be onside.Too manygamesbeing spoiled by a big toe being offside.

To everyone saying a big toe offside is ridiculous, what’s the solution? A sliding scale of how much you are allowed to be offside. Surely that’s just creating more debate rather than solving the whole problem

No need to change it. No one says that ball was a bawhair from being fully over the line so it should be a goal.

If lines can be drawn on using VAR that gets the right result then what’s the issue?
We get the result of the ball being over the line instantly.

The issue with offside is that it was to correct clear and obvious errors.
I'm all for looking at the decisions again, but having to use computer generated lines is the exact opposite of clear and obvious.

If the naked eye can't see it then it can't really be called an error.

Offside rule is frustrating. There’s not a perfect fix.

I’d just abolish the lines and let the VAR use common sense. You can tell if someone is “level” even if they are technically offside by mm.

And you can tell if someone is offside even if a small part of their overall figure is level with the defender.

It was always benefit of the doubt to the attacker.
To score a goal or any other line the whole ball must be over said line to count, why does this not apply to the player ?His whole body would have to be over instead of his big toe

We get the result of the ball being over the line instantly.

The issue with offside is that it was to correct clear and obvious errors.
I'm all for looking at the decisions again, but having to use computer generated lines is the exact opposite of clear and obvious.

If the naked eye can't see it then it can't really be called an error.
Instantly because the goaline doesn't move.

I agree the lines are tedious but you can't have a margin of slightly offside.

I'd change the rule from any part of the body you can score with to the planted foot of the attacker and defender. At least then they're not messing about with armpits. It would also stop comparing the attackers shoulder to the defenders knee.

The best thing about VAR is it shows how ridiculous the offside rule is. Its pointless and should be scrapped completely. No more bullshit about who stands where or who is interferring with play. Time is up for offside.

Please dont bother with the argument about 6ft centre forwards standing next to the opposition goalie waiting on a big punt up the park. Just like Killie and Livi did albeit they had to run for the ball.

Think of how much more open the game would be. Think about all those chopped off goals that would have counted.

VAR on Monday gave Man U 3 points. McGuire should have been off so couldn’t have scored later on and Chelsea’s first goal should have stood. The crazy bit where the referee won’t look at the monitor makes VAR much less relevant.

Offside is my one big gripe with VAR, this has the potential to make it worse.

It's not offside that needs changed, it's the lines to see if a guys nipple is offside.

If they can't tell by looking at it, then let it go.

How can you do that though? At the moment it is a matter of fact situation, onside or offside. By saying if you can tell by looking at it, you're adding subjectivity as one person may say they can see its on or off, whilst another disagrees. Also, what happens if the ball goes in, the linesman raises the flag and it's really tight (i.e. a toe is offside), do we overturn the correct offside call?

I've seen it suggested that for VAR, the players should have some sort of tracking system in the vests they wear which allows immediate offside calls to be made based on their chest position. That probably aligns it more to how it's always been looked at with the naked eye and could work if the technology is there.

Back