Arteta the Gaffer, memories of the player?

Good Kunt Bad Kunt

• Good Kunt

Votes: 207 65.9%
  • Bad Kunt

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 50/50

Votes: 100 31.8%

• Total voters
He was a good player, had some very good games and scored some very important goals. However, him leaving us because he is homesick to end up right back in the UK is a strange one. I think we would have just appreciate him saying he wanted to move on to a better league - at least that one we could understand to an extent.

Not so much Arteta the player but Arteta the interviewee...

Steaming drunk, unintelligible after the game via Dunfermline.

Probably like most of us would have been!

Always felt disappointed that he never consistently lived up to how good he looked at psg in a rangers shirt

Said he was homesick then turned up at Everton soon after. Was clearly a good player but not someone I’ll class as a Ranger.

My one abiding memory of Arteta was the photograph of his face when he first posed after signing for Rangers - his smile was, to say the least, 'strained'. I got the distinct impression at the time that Glasgow and the SPL, was not his first career destination of choice.

He was a good player and had some good moments with Rangers, but I was never convinced his heart was with the club.

I think he just wanted out of the shit show his second season had become, and it's difficult to blame someone who was not brought up a bear.

Yup, that's the exact point I was going to make.

He clearly realised what an utter shit show we were becoming and wanted out.

As a footballer you can hardly blame him much as it's not something we would do.

He was a good player but nothing outstanding for us. We were used to having players of his, or higher, ilk

We spent a lot of money on him, at the time it was said to be a good investment as he was clearly destined to play at a high level and we would realise a decent profit when he left.

He played the homesick card and we lost money. Not long after he miraculously recovered from his homesickness and moved to England.

That being said he was a decent player who scored some big goals for us.

Curious to know your memories as Bears. Did you see something in him? Special moments? Aside from the home sick shite, does he go down as a good kunt for you all? :))
The only player of the era that made Barry Ferguson look ordinary.

The good:

Dunfermline penalty, Dunfermline goal away at start of season 02/03, Copenhagen away penalty, goal at Parkhead.

The bad would be, goal at Parkhead aside, his poor performances in the games against Celtic. And obviously the way he left.

Scored some important goals, could pick a pass but an absolute sh!te bag when it came to a 50/50 challenge

A cracking, composed footballer who was still learning and developing. For someone pretty young, he sure had balls in pressure moments.

Didn't handle certain situations very well - a bit of a shitebag. The Rangers support aren't zipped up the back.

He clearly matured and developed into a top class footballer.

I wondered what sort of manager he would be and seeing him on the touchline against Manchester United the other night left me a bit surprised. A carbon copy of Guardiola in terms of animation, dishing out advice, instructions and praising his team mates. He kicked every ball and was at times I thought he was going to run on the park and make a challenge.

Rangers were downsizing and he wanted to leave, that’s why he left.

Obviously went back to Spain, EPL money came in and he headed back to UK.

Don’t get folk being bitter about it. Totally unwarranted imo especially after his contribution to #50.

Remember his debut at Ibrox vs Milan, what a player he looked. As an optimistic young man, I thought he was destined to be a worldwide great.

Hairstyle defies conventional logic by all accounts.

Don't agree with that at all , same as rdb, did he make fergie look ordinary of course not !!
Sorry bud, I should have expanded on this.
It was one game only.
He played for PSG and totally outplayed our man.
A stand out in a team that included Okacha and Ronaldinho.
Over the piece though, Ferguson was every bit as good.

Barry Ferguson missed 2 penalties at Dens Park in the run in, we were 2-1 down and if we had lost Celtic were right back into pole position.
We got a 3rd penalty and no way Ferguson was taking it. Everyone was a bag of nerves, I was behind the goal at the other end and couldn't watch.

Arteta took it and scored cool as a cucumber.

That penalty won the 2003 title as much as the one v Dunfermline on the last day.
You are corret as we would still have won the league had Arteta not scored the penalty v Dunfermline.

said it was too cold to live here wanted to go back home he wore gloves.
He was a very young talented player but nowhere near a Ferguson or a Charlie Miller at the time gone on to have a very good career.

Barry Ferguson missed 2 penalties at Dens Park in the run in, we were 2-1 down and if we had lost Celtic were right back into pole position.
We got a 3rd penalty and no way Ferguson was taking it. Everyone was a bag of nerves, I was behind the goal at the other end and couldn't watch.

Arteta took it and scored cool as a cucumber.

That penalty won the 2003 title as much as the one v Dunfermline on the last day.
Yeah, I was there in the old wooden stand that day - that's my number 1 memory for sure.

I think the boy went into his shell somewhat, once Ferguson was sold.

To go from partnering Ferguson, who had just captained Rangers to the Treble the previous season, in the middle of the park, to a clearly past it Emerson & the perma-injured Nerlinger, was one helluva come down.

You also saw the filth under O'Wibble, going out of their way to target Arteta early doors. I think there was two instances at the Theatre of Shame where Arteta was practically mullered by one of their bheasts early on, and effectively nullified him before he was taken off.

Was a quality player,left for a fraction of his value if my memory serves me right,never achieved what he was capable for us

download-2.jpg

In all honesty, seeing his lovely girlfriend, now wife, in the Main Stand is what I remember best about Mikel's time at Ibrox.

Remember a tim scratching his Porsche when he was ten pin bowling (made the papers)

how some things never change

The homesickness bollocks killed any goodwill I had towards him. Obviously Liverpool was much more like San Sebastian than Glasgow.

Back