Arthur Numan astonished by Goldson comments

Loyal72

FB-IMG-1637711760668.jpg

Arthur Numan admits he was astonished
by Connor Goldson's post-match comments after Rangers crashed out of the Premier Sports Cup on Sunday.

He said: “To lose a semi-final in that way was unacceptable. I can't believe the manner of the defeat. I was then even more surprised by Connor Goldson's comments in his interview on television at full-time.

“For a Rangers player to say the game was over at half-time when the team are 3-1 down was an astonishing admission.

“To also say that the team has lost a bit if hunger was equally alarming. How can you have lost a bit of hunger when you have won one trophy in three seasons?

“Yes, I get that the trophy was one of the most important in the club's history and Steven Gerrard and the players will always be remembered for it.

“But you need to go and win again. And again. And again. And again. Rangers is about winning silverware on a regular basis. If you don't have the hunger and desire to do that then you should be asked to leave or be sold on.”

I do think it's interesting which ex players offer comments at different eras of the club.

Numan never said much during Gerrard, his Dutch pal Gio gets the job? Has us right under the microscope.

I don't include wee Barry Ferguson in this line of thinking, he'd offer comment on anything even if not asked.

Of course he's right, nobody can dispute it.

I just wish the great ex players had kept their thoughts in house in a week our new manager has a massive first game and needs to win it with the squad that's there.

Gio will sort out Goldson, he won't need reminded.

Goldson’s time is up.

I think he’s good, but he’s checked out and we need to move on.

Wilson got it wrong. If he hadn’t signed on the deadline (let’s say 30th May), then we should have actively punted him in the summer.

We played the game and got burnt.
Did anybody want him?

This is solid and it would not be at all surprising to think GvB wanted that in the press
I hope that's not the case.

Gio has no option but to play Goldson in the weeks ahead. These headlines are going to massively increase the pressure on the player and make sure every little mistake he makes will get him all kinds of abuse from the stands. That helps nobody but our opponents.

Goldson is finished at Rangers, that interview has to mean he leaves when possible. Gio must know that. But we have games to win meantime.

Did we market him?

People don’t bid on my house as it’s not on the market.

If I want to sell it, I drop some agents a note and let them know I’m interested in potentially selling. They reach out to potential buyers.
Can't compare footballers to house sales ffs. If a club was interested they'd have made enquiries.

Anyway, from what I remember, nobody wanted him to leave back then. Nobody seen this form slump coming from him.

Two things on this for me.

1 - Goldson doesn’t say half that if Gerrard is still there on Sunday, despite it being true for most of this season. Shitebag and working his ticket.

2 - Numan doesn’t say this unless he knows its fine to do so without undermining GVB. Goldson doesn’t have a future under the new gaffer I’d think. First clear message to send when possible, drop him. And get rid.

I’m sure it’s Numan who tells the story in his autobiography about the aftermath of the 5-1 defeat to Celtic in Advocaats first season.

Ian Ferguson went round the whole dressing room, making it crystal clear how that sort of result and performance was completely unacceptable at Rangers. He didn’t hold back and was slaughtering multi-million pound players about what a disgrace the performance was. Advocaat sat back and let Fergie get on with it.

Numan said it was a a big wake up call for him and a lot of the other foreign players. At the time we were still comfortably ahead in the league and went into the game with a lot of injury issues, but Fergie clearly gave a lesson in the standards expected of a Rangers player.

If we had a player with 1/10th of Ian Ferguson’s leadership ability in the dressing room I would feel far more comfortable.

I met Arthur in one of my my few times in corporate hospitality. It was the day of Adrian spoule. For one he was absolutely raging . For two he had excellent insight on why that day went wrong. No one should ever doubt his commitment to rangers ( he lives it beyond his time ) or his ability as a player and analysis to see problems.
We have had various opinions on goldsons comments on here but frankly when this guy gets pissed we should listen. He bleeds rangers.

Hasn’t said anything that isn’t true or that Gough hasn’t already rammed home. It does need to stop though and let Gio handle it, all this noise keeps it under the microscope when let’s be fair we don’t have options to Bomb him out for another 6 weeks
I’d drop him immediately after that statement. He’s clearly poison in the dressing room. Let him training with the kids till his contract runs out. I’d go with Balogun and Simpson in the short term if need be and recall big Nico to provide some competition

Not ideal I know, but better playing guys who want to be at the club and win things rather that someone who is counting down time,

Goldson’s time is up.

Wilson got it wrong. If he hadn’t signed on the deadline (let’s say 30th May), then we should have actively punted him in the summer.

It really is that simple.
All we had to do is tell him he’s leaving and tell another club they were buying him.
Doesn't matter that nobody asked the for him, somebody was definitely getting sold him because a FF poster said so.

• Haha
Reactions: TN8
I hope that's not the case.

Gio has no option but to play Goldson in the weeks ahead. These headlines are going to massively increase the pressure on the player and make sure every little mistake he makes will get him all kinds of abuse from the stands. That helps nobody but our opponents.

Goldson is finished at Rangers, that interview has to mean he leaves when possible. Gio must know that. But we have games to win meantime.

Not signing a new contract and then coming out with those comments. It’s a terrible look.

He’s had 1 good season in 4. How can you down tools because you’ve won one trophy? Surely you get a taste and want more.

As a fan, this season feels like it’s our most important yet, it always is when you’re invested in the club and the rivalry, and why wouldn’t you want to wrong the cup competition failings of the past? What the hell else is Goldson going to win in his career once he leaves the club?

Can't compare footballers to house sales ffs. If a club was interested they'd have made enquiries.

Anyway, from what I remember, nobody wanted him to leave back then. Nobody seen this form slump coming from him.

Use the concept - no one came knocking because we didn’t alert people.

Goldson would have had a buyer. He was a mainstay in the best defence in Britain. He’s English. Big, strong, relatively fast. Good with the ball. He’s commanding a fee last summer.

Maybe not the dip in form, but it was a £6m mistake in letting him run his contract down. It sets a precedent, it’s set a standard in the camp now.

We won the league on the 7th March. Offer should have been tabled and deadline within 12 weeks. Don’t want it - then out the door he goes.

Gio has a few days to look at what he's got to work with, and it'll be a big statement whether he plays Goldson or not on Thursday.

Did we market him?

People don’t bid on my house as it’s not on the market.

If I want to sell it, I drop some agents a note and let them know I’m interested in potentially selling. They reach out to potential buyers.
You mean you didn’t just chap somebody’s door and tell them they were buying it.
Strange.

Goldson’s time is up.

I think Gerrard likely had too much influence over football operations. I accept the manager needs to have a decent amount of influence, he shouldn't have players he doesn't want foisted on him, but demanding a player be allowed to run down his contract as you need him should be a clear red line. As per usual in these situations, the club holding the player has had its fingers burned. He's been pretty poor, not the worst but no better than any half decent replacement could have done.

That's just me speculating right enough. Also possible we genuinely didn't get a bid anywhere near what he was worth selling for. Then everyone's hands would have been tied.

FB-IMG-1637711760668.jpg

Arthur Numan admits he was astonished
by Connor Goldson's post-match comments after Rangers crashed out of the Premier Sports Cup on Sunday.

He said: “To lose a semi-final in that way was unacceptable. I can't believe the manner of the defeat. I was then even more surprised by Connor Goldson's comments in his interview on television at full-time.

“For a Rangers player to say the game was over at half-time when the team are 3-1 down was an astonishing admission.

“To also say that the team has lost a bit if hunger was equally alarming. How can you have lost a bit of hunger when you have won one trophy in three seasons?

“Yes, I get that the trophy was one of the most important in the club's history and Steven Gerrard and the players will always be remembered for it.

“But you need to go and win again. And again. And again. And again. Rangers is about winning silverware on a regular basis. If you don't have the hunger and desire to do that then you should be asked to leave or be sold on.”
Bang on Arthur!!!

Back