Arthur Numan astonished by Goldson comments

Delighted that players like Gough and Numan are sticking the boot in. It's fully deserved.

Goldson is a disgrace
I don’t think I can remember a Rangers player being rounded on by high calibre ex-players like this before.

This is a bit more than the folk with regular columns in the paper passing comment. There’s a very significant point being made to the current squad IMO.

I think Gerrard will come for Patterson in January.

He never gave Patterson a regular starting slot for Rangers so why would he want him for Villa? They have Matty Cash at right back who’s pretty good, and have other priorities I’d imagine. And anyway, if he does come in for Patterson he’ll be swiftly reminded of his own opinion when Everton allegedly offered £8m for him, he dismissed it as ridiculous if I recall rightly.

Back on topic, Goldson, with his comments, was really naive, he’s given everyone the opportunity to have a go and they will. Numan is spot on. As was Richard Gough. Goldson is done at Rangers and like others I think he craves a deal with a cash rich mid table EPL club where expectations are more limited.

I can see Goldson happily back playing in the Championship for a club where the money’s better but there’s no pressure or expectation to win anything.
That’s the conundrum for us. In Gough and Numan’s day we paid top money for top professionals. Due to Sky obliterating the level playing field, we’re trying to get the same approach from championship level players and a lot of them do look like they’d rather return to their comfort zone with the same money but with no pressure to win anything.

One of the areas that we've been really lacking in over the years tbh. Is the strong mentality required to play at this club.

Imagine Graeme Souness, Walter Smith, Alex McLeish, Dick Advocaat etc if you had said that publicly during their Rangers tenure?

Gerrard for being such a strong character, created a weak minded team.

Goldson should be dropped imo.

First Goughie, now Arthur calling him out.

In normal circumstances yes. But then we're limited on replacements so do we drop him and cut off our noses to spite our faces? I can't see any way back for him after those comments but I can't see us dropping him in the short term either because we are so limited on adequate cover. It says it all though when a foreign born player can get the club's whole psyche so much better than a British born one can. It's not good for him or the club though for him to remain beyond January and I think then is the time he should go. It's what he really wants and that's been clear all season.

The simple fact is Goldson should never have been sent out to do that interview. The captain should've. Our captain completely shirked his responsibilities and showed himself to be a bit of a shitebag in my opinion.

Goldson has completely fucked up and if he wants to stay here he is going to have work harder and better to get the fans back onside.

GVB's questions to Goldson and Tav on Monday should've been why were you/Goldson out doing that interview instead of the captain? To Tav why did you not shoulder the responsibility of that interview, that is what you are meant to be doing as a leader of these players.

I don't believe Goldson thought he was beat at 3-1 at half time because to me he was trying his hardest to get to every ball, to get the ball up the park, to get on the end of corners. I think he was trying to say he thinks others believed they were beat at half time and have lost their hunger. Guys like Morelos, Kent and Barasic. The levels of these 3 players have dropped so low. Their body language is completely off. Even that clip from training yesterday with Roy, saying about tricks are for the circus. I don't think it was directed at Kent in particular but his body language was all off, his shoulders are slumped, he looks unhappy. Compare that to Lundstrum and Aribo in that same clip, they are smiling, looking ready and hungry to train.
Some good points here mate but what I don’t see is this Tavernier thing of course somehow CG went out but he is VC so not a major issue as such it’s that he then said we were beat at three down .

How does JT know he is going to say that - I just don’t think he does it’s all on Goldson

Where I think JT should intervene is say the squad did not have that view and he has no idea why CG said that.

Last edited:
One of the areas that we've been really lacking in over the years tbh. Is the strong mentality required to play at this club.

Imagine Graeme Souness, Walter Smith, Alex McLeish, Dick Advocaat etc if you had said that publicly during their Rangers tenure?

Gerrard for being such a strong character, created a weak minded team.
Gerrard's man management was lukewarm at best.

Agree, and Gerrard has clearly enabled a cancer to run through our dressing room, so he is culpable.
He’s never going to get a sniff at the Liverpool job if he can’t keep a squad hungry, and god knows how he showcases that at Villa.

The undroppable culture now seems more toxic than I thought at the time.

That’s the conundrum for us. In Gough and Numan’s day we paid top money for top professionals. Due to Sky obliterating the level playing field, we’re trying to get the same approach from championship level players and a lot of them do look like they’d rather return to their comfort zone with the same money but with no pressure to win anything.

I absolutely agree with that I don’t think players like Aribo, Goodson and Barisic give a %^*& about playing Ross County and St Mirren 4 times a year with shitey wee changing rooms and players that kick %^*& out of you. They could earn the same if not a bit more in England.

It's interesting, but I can't recall a Rangers player after a defeat coming away with some of the statements that Goldson offered.

We have former players and captains from various squads in our past coming out to say how surprised they are.
It is totally unacceptable that Goldson appeared in the second half on Sunday believing the game was already a lost cause. Seriously? 2 goals behind with 45 minutes to play?

If he truly believed what he said he should never be selected to play for Rangers again.

I do think it's interesting which ex players offer comments at different eras of the club.

Numan never said much during Gerrard, his Dutch pal Gio gets the job? Has us right under the microscope.

I don't include wee Barry Ferguson in this line of thinking, he'd offer comment on anything even if not asked.
Maybe it's the case that the journos go looking for Dutch connections, rather than Numan offering himself up when it's GvB versus not doing so when it's Gerrard.

But still wants paid thousands of pounds each week of course
Yes, I’m just going by his actions and words. He’s certainly not proving himself worthy of another contract here. Maybe has it arranged to sign somewhere. Seems that way. We will be the highlight of his career. Shame how it’s ending but I’ve seen it with so many players now. It’s football.

Some good points here mate but what I don’t see is this Tavernier thing of course somehow CG went out but he is VC so not a major issue as such it’s that he then said we were beat at three down .

How does JT know he is going to say that - I just don’t think he does it’s all on Goldson

Where I think JT should intervene is say the squad did not have that view and he has no idea why CG said that.

Yes he is vice captain not captain. If you win let anyone go out and take the praise, especially the man of the match if that happens to be the captain go out and take your award. If you have just lost a Semi Final, the captain has to step in and do that interview not the vice captain take ownership.

Its like my group at work has made a %^*& up and the Team Lead has instead sent one of us into the board meeting to deal with it instead of going in and explaining the situation and defending the team.

Him coming out now and challenging what CG has said would only lead to friction in the squad, that should be questioned internally and kept internally.

Not signing a new contract and then coming out with those comments. It’s a terrible look.

He’s had 1 good season in 4. How can you down tools because you’ve won one trophy? Surely you get a taste and want more.

As a fan, this season feels like it’s our most important yet, it always is when you’re invested in the club and the rivalry, and why wouldn’t you want to wrong the cup competition failings of the past? What the hell else is Goldson going to win in his career once he leaves the club?
I agree 1 good season in 4. Never been a fan of his tbh.

Agree, and Gerrard has clearly enabled a cancer to run through our dressing room, so he is culpable.
Looking back, the “Legends of 55” mantra was a bit much really, and some of the players clearly thought that winning the title was an end in itself.. as someone once said, “it’s just the beginning”.
Even my 10yr old was happy to take down his 55 flag in August as the new season began. Rangers win things, celebrate and move on to the next one - that’s the culture that the current crop of players have somehow missed.

Some players’ heads expanded over it all and the bump back to earth as their manager buggers off, supporters are at them and now proper great & good of Rangers players are publicly having a pop at them should bloody well shake them up a bit.

Richard Gough just doesn’t comment on Rangers players as a rule, yet he suddenly appears with a surgical strike at the captain & vice-captain.
No coincidence.

Controversial question time… have Davis & McGregor just been ignored by the rest in all of this? They know better than most what a consistently successful dressing room is at Ibrox.

I still can't believe Goldson said what he did...In effect we were getting beaten 2 - 0 at half time, a score we have come back from a fair few times in the past and if some of the players on the park really felt they were not going to come back from that in the second half. Maybe those in question should have made their concerns known at half time so they could have been subbed there and then.

It still bewilders me to this day that we were once the major player financially in the football world to what has transpired through SKY money.

That will be the same Arthur Numan who showed zero leadership and fight under DA when it all went wrong.

Extremely talented player underachieved with us though.

Goldson could have put it better no doubt but it was clear the point he was making

FB-IMG-1637711760668.jpg

Arthur Numan admits he was astonished
by Connor Goldson's post-match comments after Rangers crashed out of the Premier Sports Cup on Sunday.

He said: “To lose a semi-final in that way was unacceptable. I can't believe the manner of the defeat. I was then even more surprised by Connor Goldson's comments in his interview on television at full-time.

“For a Rangers player to say the game was over at half-time when the team are 3-1 down was an astonishing admission.

“To also say that the team has lost a bit if hunger was equally alarming. How can you have lost a bit of hunger when you have won one trophy in three seasons?

“Yes, I get that the trophy was one of the most important in the club's history and Steven Gerrard and the players will always be remembered for it.

“But you need to go and win again. And again. And again. And again. Rangers is about winning silverware on a regular basis. If you don't have the hunger and desire to do that then you should be asked to leave or be sold on.”
Arthur is a winner. Won ten cups in 5 seasons, whilst up against a decent Celtic side. Those comments will be bizarre to the likes of him

Looking back, the “Legends of 55” mantra was a bit much really, and some of the players clearly thought that winning the title was an end in itself.. as someone once said, “it’s just the beginning”.
Even my 10yr old was happy to take down his 55 flag in August as the new season began. Rangers win things, celebrate and move on to the next one - that’s the culture that the current crop of players have somehow missed.

Some players’ heads expanded over it all and the bump back to earth as their manager buggers off, supporters are at them and now proper great & good of Rangers players are publicly having a pop at them should bloody well shake them up a bit.

Richard Gough just doesn’t comment on Rangers players as a rule, yet he suddenly appears with a surgical strike at the captain & vice-captain.
No coincidence.

Controversial question time… have Davis & McGregor just been ignored by the rest in all of this? They know better than most what a consistently successful dressing room is at Ibrox.

Spot on Rab.

I’m a bit surprised if Davis & McGregor haven’t been firing a few bullets, in fact I’d add Jack & Arfield too. They all undoubtedly get it.

You wonder whether there’s been a split between two groups of players ?

First mistake on Thursday and Goldson better be prepared for the crowd’s reaction. I don’t think it’ll be a pleasant one.
That’s really going to help.

People are dying to read the worst into CG’s words when many have pointed out it’s not exactly what he meant.

The desire to absolutely drive players out the team could backfire badly on us and won’t help the new manager.

Spot on Rab.

I’m a bit surprised if Davis & McGregor haven’t been firing a few bullets, in fact I’d add Jack & Arfield too. They all undoubtedly get it.

You wonder whether there’s been a split between two groups of players ?

It’s been in my head for a few weeks.. can’t imagine that there’s not been discussion about it.

Aye but some Followfollow rangers Da's know better than some of the best to ever do it for rangers on the pitch and think goldson didn't say anything wrong...

It’s been in my head for a few weeks.. can’t imagine that there’s not been discussion about it.
Yup let’s drum up fantasy theories about ex-players plotting to get players out the team and now we have factions in the team.

Surely a new manager sorts that out

Aye but some Followfollow rangers Da's know better than some of the best to ever do it for rangers on the pitch and think goldson didn't say anything wrong...
Numan was never a best to do it for Rangers ever and plenty got Goldsons various points.

People hear and see what they want

Yup let’s drum up fantasy theories about ex-players plotting to get players out the team and now we have factions in the team.

Surely a new manager sorts that out
Come on… Davis & McGregor were players in a dressing room that won title after title.
This season we’ve seen a totally different attitude from a significant amount of the players to that which we know brings successive titles.

It’s a reasonable question to ask whether they are having the influence that we, as supporters, expect.

To have folk of the status of Gough & Numan question/criticise the captain and vice captain so publicly is out of the ordinary.

Come on… Davis & McGregor were players in a dressing room that won title after title.
This season we’ve seen a totally different attitude from a significant amount of the players to that which we know brings successive titles.

It’s a reasonable question to ask whether they are having the influence that we, as supporters, expect.

To have folk of the status of Gough & Numan question/criticise the captain and vice captain so publicly is out of the ordinary.

There would be 8 players that started Sunday's game that I'd hold far more culpable than Goldson.

He defended better than anyone else in the defence and only Arfield and Aribo performed better.

He won most of his defensive duels and wasn't responsible for any of the goals.

There would be 8 players that started Sunday's game that I'd hold far more culpable than Goldson.

He defended better than anyone else in the defence and only Arfield and Aribo performed better.

Remember this is the guy who is the master of organising the defence so not sure about that MU but let’s examine this season and if you can claim CG is above the others then I will disagree .

Not been able to watch SF back since weekend and probably won’t ever but for me he had a role in goals two and three .

Remember this is the guy who is the master of organising the defence so not sure about that MU but let’s examine this season and if you can claim CG is above the others then I will disagree .

Not been able to watch SF back since weekend and probably won’t ever but for me he had a role in goals two and three .

He didn't mate.

Balogun once again got turned by Nisbet and played in Boyle, who was played onside by Tav and then McGregor weakly let the ball go under him.
Davis is a bit unlucky with the 3rd, but it was a penalty.

Jack Ross specifically told Nisbet to move over on to Balogun, as Goldson was easily beating him in the air and was physically too strong for him.
He started getting a lot of joy out of Balogun.

I'm not defending Goldson's interview, far from it, but I was far more annoyed about the empty performances on the park, than the empty words after the game.

I think Goldson is a little unlucky that he made a silly statement in amongst some fair observations in the aftermath of a defeat… but the contract situation and his poor form have been hanging over him for a while now.
Straw that broke the camel’s back.

I think Goldson is a little unlucky that he made a silly statement in amongst some fair observations in the aftermath of a defeat… but the contract situation and his poor form have been hanging over him for a while now.
Fair summation.

Its good to read these ex players etc questioning the mentality. Its as if some players feel they have achieved enough when we won 55.

Goldson knew what he was saying in that interview would be picked up on by the fans and media.
The guy is clearly working his ticket and said interview gave him the opportunity to speed up the process in my view.
Can you explain in what way it speeds up the process?

He shouldn’t be getting involved, fed up of these ex-pro’s coming out and having a dig. They should just leave Goldson alone!

B-)
Numan's a supporter of the club just like you and me so he's every right to voice his opinion, he's 100% bang on t money also

He didn't mate.

Balogun once again got turned by Nisbet and played in Boyle, who was played onside by Tav and then McGregor weakly let the ball go under him.

Jack Ross specifically told Nisbet to move over on to Balogun, as Goldson was easily beating him in the air and was physically too strong for him.

I'm not defending Goldson's interview, far from it, but I was far more annoyed about the empty performances on the park, than the empty words after the game.

There we go MU , so what I see there is at second goal Boyle is inside / behind CG so he cannot see him . He is in the wrong position the wrong side and unaware because he is solely looking at Nisbet and the ball . Tavernier looks to have played his then run inside yes . Again we are repeatedly told he organises defence well that was a very obvious possibility by Hibs imo .

Third tell me who passes the ball to the Hibs MF no32 who feeds it to Boyle in the box and btw the phase directly prior to that ( not on that highlights edition ) seen CG schlaff a clearance and meant we were contained in that area .

We can look at the offensive plays if we wish too , those are let’s just say weak and thr chance on 88 mins was pretty hopeless .

Yes he is just one player and yes he is thr one who wanted to point out other peoples shortfalls and yes he is the one who chose to say at three down the game was over . Tell that to SA as he scored two mins after and punched the air a few times and AM chased the ball into the net to recover the ball ASAP and get at them again .

and like I also said this season that guy is worse than most of our players for being implicated in big goals being awarded to opponents .

Anyway I think the thread was more about his words than his play . Sooner he is off the better imo .

Last edited:

I agree with you regards the contract mate, but there's no doubt Goldson's interview has been a deflection off the biggest issue on Sunday.

There we go MU , so what I see there is at second goal Boyle is inside / behind CG so he cannot see him . He is in the wrong position the wrong side and unaware because he is solely looking at Nisbet and the ball . Tavernier looks to have played his then run inside yes . Again we are repeatedly told he organises defence well that was a very obvious possibility by Hibs imo .

Third tell me who passes the ball to the Hibs MF no32 who feeds it to Boyle in the box and btw the phase directly prior to that ( not on that highlights edition ) seen CG schlaff a clearance and meant we were contained in that area .

We can look at the offensive plays if we wish too , those are let’s just say weak and thr chance on 88 mins was pretty hopeless .

Yes he is just one player and yes he is thr one who wanted to fallout other people and yes he is the one who chose to say at three down the game was over . Tell that to SA as he scored two mins after and punched the air a few times and AM chased the ball into the net to recover the ball ASAP and get at them again .

and like I also said this season that guy is worse than most of our players by being implicate in big goals being lost .

Anyway I think the thread was more about his words than his play . Sooner he is off the better imo .

Arfield and possibly to a lesser extent Aribo, are the only 2 players I would excuse from Sunday mate.

We were better for Goldson than he was for us , he’ll realise that at some point in his career once he’s gone… he’ll have just the one medal and memories from a fantastic season…. Hopefully gio tells convinces him to stay and give it everything until the end of the season, win us the league and it’s a whole new day… simple
Before his comment I'd have been happy for Gio to do that, convince him to just give 100% until May and leave with our best wishes. Now I hope he tells Goldson to %^*& right off in January and don't come back.

He didn't mate.

I'll tell you what we don't need, a lynch mob mentality, which I fear is too late already.

Just get behind the team and if shouting abuse is at players in a Rangers shirt, then maybe better staying at home.

It's been a turbulent couple of weeks and hopefully we can get through this and move on to better things.

Call it simplistic but the Dutch get our club and the mentality matches their own. They embrace the winning culture and recognise the club as one of Europe’s elite teams.

On the other hand, some English players simply don’t get it and they see the club as a stepping stone.

Warburton was working his ticket to get a Championship level job and his reaction to such things as Cup Final defeats and Old Firm defeats suggested he was never really on our level.

Similarly Barton who thought he could turn up without a preseason and walk it. Add in some characters like Forrester and Waghorn who couldn’t grasp the culture and were shipped off after a season or two.

Gerrard told us what we wanted to hear, but his dismal cup record suggests he didn’t put as much emphasise on these competitions as, say, Walter/Advocaat would. Jumped ship to a struggling Premier League club, thinking his remit was completed because he won us 1 trophy.

Of course it’s overly simplistic, but Goldson will have been brought up undoubtedly not respecting Scottish football so it’s much easier for him to down tools.

Call it simplistic but the Dutch get our club and the mentality matches their own. They embrace the winning culture and recognise the club as one of Europe’s elite teams.

On the other hand, some English players simply don’t get it and they see the club as a stepping stone.

Warburton was working his ticket to get a Championship level job and his reaction to such things as Cup Final defeats and Old Firm defeats suggested he was never really on our level.

Similarly Barton who thought he could turn up without a preseason and walk it. Add in some characters like Forrester and Waghorn who couldn’t grasp the culture and were shipped off after a season or two.

Gerrard told us what we wanted to hear, but his dismal cup record suggests he didn’t put as much emphasise on these competitions as, say, Walter/Advocaat would. Jumped ship to a struggling Premier League club, thinking his remit was completed because he won us 1 trophy.

Of course it’s overly simplistic, but Goldson will have been brought up undoubtedly not respecting Scottish football so it’s much easier for him to down tools.
When did we become one of europe's elite teams?

We never have been. Our record in the competitions prove as much. Every so often we have a good run, win one cup and runners up in 3 finals. Hardly elite.

That's why we enjoy great euro runs so much, they don't happen very often.

Thought his form had just dipped a bit this season but now this whole mentality thing, and working his ticket is becoming clear. Disgraceful.

We will remember him fondly as a mainstay in the 55 team but…. Time to go.

Question is whether Gio drops him now or tries to rely on him until January.
Either way it could go badly wrong.
For Thursday how about a back 4 of: Patterson Baolgun Bassey Barisic
Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Did you see Bassey at centreback in Prague?

Back