Arthur Numan astonished by Goldson comments

he is correct, Goldson wont realise how big rangers is untill he goes and plays in the bottom of the championship next year.

Come on… Davis & McGregor were players in a dressing room that won title after title.
This season we’ve seen a totally different attitude from a significant amount of the players to that which we know brings successive titles.

It’s a reasonable question to ask whether they are having the influence that we, as supporters, expect.

To have folk of the status of Gough & Numan question/criticise the captain and vice captain so publicly is out of the ordinary.
Ex-players criticising key personnel is absolutely commonplace….very very common.
This status that Numan has is beyond me Gough 100% but him nope

Its a real difficult situation for GVB to manage. Whatever he decides to do between now and January with goldson could backfire either way. But I wouldn't lay the blame at gvbs door If it does.
I took a ban the other day for my opinion on goldson. Not sure it was warranted as I wasn't abusive. No sure if his da or Stevie g is an admin

I’m sure it’s Numan who tells the story in his autobiography about the aftermath of the 5-1 defeat to Celtic in Advocaats first season.

Ian Ferguson went round the whole dressing room, making it crystal clear how that sort of result and performance was completely unacceptable at Rangers. He didn’t hold back and was slaughtering multi-million pound players about what a disgrace the performance was. Advocaat sat back and let Fergie get on with it.

Numan said it was a a big wake up call for him and a lot of the other foreign players. At the time we were still comfortably ahead in the league and went into the game with a lot of injury issues, but Fergie clearly gave a lesson in the standards expected of a Rangers player.

If we had a player with 1/10th of Ian Ferguson’s leadership ability in the dressing room I would feel far more comfortable.
We are missing a nasty bastard. Shagger can’t lead by example at the minute as he is so poor. Ryan Jack if he can stay fit might be a leader. Need someone to grab that dressing room by the scruff of the neck.

When did we become one of europe's elite teams?

We never have been. Our record in the competitions prove as much. Every so often we have a good run, win one cup and runners up in 3 finals. Hardly elite.

That's why we enjoy great euro runs so much, they don't happen very often.
Rangers played the first ever Euro CWC final in 1961 I think , historians confirm ? , and regularly played SFs and another final that decade therefore that it’s the greatest claim for being one of the Elite - in the early to mid 60s .

FB-IMG-1637711760668.jpg

Arthur Numan admits he was astonished
by Connor Goldson's post-match comments after Rangers crashed out of the Premier Sports Cup on Sunday.

He said: “To lose a semi-final in that way was unacceptable. I can't believe the manner of the defeat. I was then even more surprised by Connor Goldson's comments in his interview on television at full-time.

“For a Rangers player to say the game was over at half-time when the team are 3-1 down was an astonishing admission.

“To also say that the team has lost a bit if hunger was equally alarming. How can you have lost a bit of hunger when you have won one trophy in three seasons?

“Yes, I get that the trophy was one of the most important in the club's history and Steven Gerrard and the players will always be remembered for it.

“But you need to go and win again. And again. And again. And again. Rangers is about winning silverware on a regular basis. If you don't have the hunger and desire to do that then you should be asked to leave or be sold on.”

The kind of mentality that separates the wheat from the chaff.

Goldson has done nothing in the game yet to warrant having lost any hunger. The mindset of a loser.

I interpreted the “game is over” comments not as Goldson giving up - I don’t think you could level that at the Goldson or the rest of the players from watching the second half on Sunday - but that defending like we did in the first half means you lose games. Goldson was probably one of the main voices geeing up the team at half-time.

Crouchy is right - if we made it known that we were open to offers we would’ve got some.

We may not have liked them but I think had we engaged agents to sell then I think it would happen
No, it wouldn't and no it didn't, if a Club wanted Goldson, you wouldn't need someone to ask
them
We had offers for at least 3 of our players, Goldson wasn't one of them

I interpreted the “game is over” comments not as Goldson giving up - I don’t think you could level that at the Goldson or the rest of the players from watching the second half on Sunday - but that defending like we did in the first half means you lose games. Goldson was probably one of the main voices geeing up the team at half-time.
Really, did you listen to his interview? Players weren't doing what they should be doing?
His lack of self awareness is incredible

R

Hasn’t said anything that isn’t true or that Gough hasn’t already rammed home. It does need to stop though and let Gio handle it, all this noise keeps it under the microscope when let’s be fair we don’t have options to Bomb him out for another 6 weeks
IMO most of the mess that GVB has inherited is down to Ross Wilson in his role as DOF he has failed to either get Goldson to sign a new contract or move him on, neither Balogun or Hellander can be relied upon both have regular injury problems at least two CB"s need to be signed

IMO most of the mess that GVB has inherited is down to Ross Wilson in his role as DOF he has failed to either get Goldson to sign a new contract or move him on, neither Balogun or Hellander can be relied upon both have regular injury problems at least two CB"s need to be signed
Begs the question was it Gerrard insisting he stays? Should have been overruled after the Malmö fiasco regardless so yes maybe it is Wilson who should be getting more of the flak than he is.

Did we market him?

People don’t bid on my house as it’s not on the market.

If I want to sell it, I drop some agents a note and let them know I’m interested in potentially selling. They reach out to potential buyers.
What a load of nonsense, you`re comparing apples with pears. Players can put themselves on the market by playing well.

By refusing to sign a contract goldson put himself on the market, obviously there was no interest from anyone.

Maybe when the transfer window opens in january someone could come In for him but that would be for no more than a nominal fee imo.

Goldson knew what he was saying in that interview would be picked up on by the fans and media.
The guy is clearly working his ticket and said interview gave him the opportunity to speed up the process in my view.
You could question that he didn’t realise the backlash. Possibly he hasn’t grasped just how much winning means to Rangers

Begs the question was it Gerrard insisting he stays? Should have been overruled after the Malmö fiasco regardless so yes maybe it is Wilson who should be getting more of the flak than he is.
You can’t really say that without knowing the conversations that happen between managers, DOF, and the player and agents.

Before the last home game in Europe both Gerrard and Goldson put the pressure on the board regarding a contract.

Gerrard stated love that he has made it clear how much he rates him and what he wants

Goldson said he wanted to stay but the terms had to be on his.

We all thought we turned a corner after the Brondby game which proved to be a false dawn so that’s where i would start with the unrest, obviously Malmo impacted finances but there have been public comments that went under the radar purely because it was Gerrard speaking and he was never questioned because of who he is and was at the time.

When did we become one of europe's elite teams?

We never have been. Our record in the competitions prove as much. Every so often we have a good run, win one cup and runners up in 3 finals. Hardly elite.

That's why we enjoy great euro runs so much, they don't happen very often.
Yet some would sooner get knocked out the ECL, thinking we are above such competition. Despite our records in Europe being generally dreadful.

FB-IMG-1637711760668.jpg

Arthur Numan admits he was astonished
by Connor Goldson's post-match comments after Rangers crashed out of the Premier Sports Cup on Sunday.

He said: “To lose a semi-final in that way was unacceptable. I can't believe the manner of the defeat. I was then even more surprised by Connor Goldson's comments in his interview on television at full-time.

“For a Rangers player to say the game was over at half-time when the team are 3-1 down was an astonishing admission.

“To also say that the team has lost a bit if hunger was equally alarming. How can you have lost a bit of hunger when you have won one trophy in three seasons?

“Yes, I get that the trophy was one of the most important in the club's history and Steven Gerrard and the players will always be remembered for it.

“But you need to go and win again. And again. And again. And again. Rangers is about winning silverware on a regular basis. If you don't have the hunger and desire to do that then you should be asked to leave or be sold on.”
Bang on .. one hit wonders dont impress us much , Good luck with your next team , if you can find one , ya fucking loser ..

No, it wouldn't and no it didn't, if a Club wanted Goldson, you wouldn't need someone to ask
them

So we would never take the approach ‘we want player x gone’ and hawk them around agents and clubs?

He’s not saying people wanted him but if we let it be Known we wanted shot of him we could’ve got shot of him.

Who were the three?

Of course he's right, nobody can dispute it.

I just wish the great ex players had kept their thoughts in house in a week our new manager has a massive first game and needs to win it with the squad that's there.

Gio will sort out Goldson, he won't need reminded.

Especially when it comes from a great ex player that himself was torn apart by Ian Ferguson in the dressing room at the piggery, for not caring after a 5-1 defeat.

People in glass houses and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
He shouldn’t be getting involved, fed up of these ex-pro’s coming out and having a dig. They should just leave Goldson alone!

B-)
Ex players like Numan are right to say what they think. They lived our dream. They won and lost and picked themselves up and won again for Rangers. They earned the right to voice an opinion.

Our current squad should take heed of what Numan and Gough have said.

Ex players like Numan are right to say what they think. They lived our dream. They won and lost and picked themselves up and won again for Rangers. They earned the right to voice an opinion.

Our current squad should take heed of what Numan and Gough have said.

Was a joke mate

them
That’s simply not true.

If a club make it known to an agent that they’re happy to listen to offers on players, then the chances of a bit coming in increases exponentially.

That’s not how it always works of course, but to suggest we wouldn’t have had bids if we’d made it clear that Goldson was available is a ridiculous take.

Especially when it comes from a great ex player that himself was torn apart by Ian Ferguson in the dressing room at the piggery, for not caring after a 5-1 defeat.

Think that’s a tad harsh though. That would have been his first season here, a hugely successful season where that was a fluke result in the season, and he never went in front of a TV camera to tell everyone his team weren’t hungry.

In contrast, this is Goldson’s 4th season and umpteenth cup disaster, he won’t sign a new contract and the interview itself was ridiculous. So I think with the level Numan played at and what he won he’s well placed to criticise chancers.

An ex-player who on that day while Dick Advocaat let Ian go wild in the dressing room, learned.

He took that information on board, and it bettered his Rangers career, and puts him in a position these days where he can talk about any Rangers player that he likes, current or former.

Don't try and knock down his point because he was naive in his first season here. Goldsons been here how long? And still doesn't get it.

I wouldn’t be looking to take chunks out of Numan or Richard Gough to defend that utterly fucking ridiculous interview from Goldson, not a great look for me.

Think that’s a tad harsh though. That would have been his first season here, a hugely successful season where that was a fluke result in the season, and he never went in front of a TV camera to tell everyone his team weren’t hungry.

In contrast, this is Goldson’s 4th season and umpteenth cup disaster, he won’t sign a new contract and the interview itself was ridiculous. So I think with the level Numan played at and what he won he’s well placed to criticise chancers.

Fair point bud, but I still think Goldson is being unfairly hammered for comments immediately after a semi final defeat, when emotions must've still been running high.

As I said on another thread, he wasn't a public speaker making a pre rehearsed speech.
He's a footballer, who aren't exactly renowned for their use of the English language.

I don't think what he said came out as he meant it to.

I was far more concerned and angry with the performances on the park, than an emotional interview immediately after the game.

It's been a good deflection for the 8 team mates who performed worse than him on the day.

It's done now though and all that matters is victory tonight.

An ex-player who on that day while Dick Advocaat let Ian go wild in the dressing room, learned.

He took that information on board, and it bettered his Rangers career, and puts him in a position these days where he can talk about any Rangers player that he likes, current or former.

Don't try and knock down his point because he was naive in his first season here. Goldsons been here how long? And still doesn't get it.

I'd say Goldson and Tavernier were the 2 most important players in our 55 season and I say that as someone who still thinks there's flaws in both their games.

Perversely, they are the 2 who cop the most unwarranted fllak on here.

Goldson has possibly got the best will to win in our team, so I think he gets it all right.
He'll regret how his comments came out and in future should keep his mouth shut, when emotions are still running high.

If people like Numan and Gough want to comment on what a player said, they should have spoke to the player first and understood where he was actually coming from TBH and understood the player was looking for application of what is seen as the accepted Rangers standards, rather than someone shying away from that

I respect them both as players but found their reading of what was actually said to be miles off.

Last edited:
Fair point bud, but I still think Goldson is being unfairly hammered for comments immediately after a semi final defeat, when emotions must've still been running high.

As I said on another thread, he wasn't a public speaker making a pre rehearsed speech.
He's a footballer, who aren't exactly renowned for their use of the English language.

I don't think what he said came out as he meant it to.

I was far more concerned and angry with the performances on the park, than an emotional interview immediately after the game.

It's been a good deflection for the 8 team mates who performed worse than him on the day.

It's done now though and all that matters is victory tonight.
I think it was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. If he hadn’t not signed a contract and if he’d kept his own levels quite respectable this season then I think he’d have gotten away with it. But considering the result, the trend of failures in cup competition, and his own demeanour this season (oddly enough he was one of the better player against Hibs though) I think that was just one misdemeanour too far for a lot of fans.

I think it was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. If he hadn’t not signed a contract and if he’d kept his own levels quite respectable this season then I think he’d have gotten away with it. But considering the result, the trend of failures in cup competition, and his own demeanour this season (oddly enough he was one of the better player against Hibs though) I think that was just one misdemeanour too far for a lot of fans.

It clearly is mate and he'll wish he'd kept his mouth shut, when still hurting and raw immediately after the game.

He should've said fuuuck all.

As you say, he was far from the worst on Sunday and I would say the rest of the defence and the keeper were all more culpable, for starters.

However, his interview has almost overtaken some woeful performances on the park as the biggest issue.

Will people just get over that f*ckin interview. Jesus its been done to death and the new manager has already spoken about it.

Tonight is a fresh start for everyone and they're all focussed on moving forward.

Will people just get over that f*ckin interview. Jesus its been done to death and the new manager has already spoken about it.

Tonight is a fresh start for everyone and they're all focussed on moving forward.
If he looks interested tonight, I reckon people will forget about it.

It clearly is mate and he'll wish he'd kept his mouth shut, when still hurting and raw immediately after the game.

He should've said fuuuck all.

As you say, he was far from the worst on Sunday and I would say the rest of the defence and the keeper were all more culpable, for starters.

However, his interview has almost overtaken some woeful performances on the park as the biggest issue.
Yeah I completely get that. One thing I will say though, I’m not sure he was really hurting. I think he’s checked out too and wants to be somewhere else and the lines he was giving us were just fan service really. Unfortunately one of those lines perfectly summed up the way some fans feel about the desire and mentality of this team and so many fans have really focussed their attention on that in particular. But the problems in that side just now are numerous that’s for sure.

And I’d agree, of our entire back line I thought he was the only one who wasn’t absolutely stinking. I know he missed a sitter at the end but given he’s a centre half I’m not going to hold that against him too much.

Yeah I completely get that. One thing I will say though, I’m not sure he was really hurting. I think he’s checked out too and wants to be somewhere else and the lines he was giving us were just fan service really. Unfortunately one of those lines perfectly summed up the way some fans feel about the desire and mentality of this team and so many fans have really focussed their attention on that in particular. But the problems in that side just now are numerous that’s for sure.

And I’d agree, of our entire back line I thought he was the only one who wasn’t absolutely stinking. I know he missed a sitter at the end but given he’s a centre half I’m not going to hold that against him too much.

The expression on his face at that miss tells me he hadn't chucked it.

And you are privvy the tactical instructions to know that Goldson isn't following his instructions then?
I wasn’t shocked how two Hibs forwards rolled our CD aside on Sunday just like any good team has done , take a look at our history with him and there’s a pattern .

CG is the organiser the chief defender so what are we to think when Hibs again do that .

He was involved in goals two n three being conceded mate . Then goes to presser and charges teamatesv. Not good at all in any way .

He was involved in goals two n three being conceded mate . Then goes to presser and charges teamatesv. Not good at all in any way .

He literally said "not one individual" TBF and regularly said we, the team and made reference to them as a group.

I think people overlook what is said between football players if they expect them to be overly irked by what was said, these are grownups who show a form of culpability (in general) and evidently he felt saying these things would be a form of benefit to try and, as he said, give them a spark or some form as it would seem from how frustrated he looked he feels little is working and they are letting themselves down, just not convince there is much wrong in someone having those standards personally, beats the usual bland platitude shite of most do better next week which has got tedious, he really, for the most part, only said what most fans feel about this season.

He’s not blameless on 3 but really 90% of that is on a very experienced Davis making a really stupid tackle on one of the biggest divers in the league. I shook my head when I saw the challenge, I shook it even more when I realised who’d made the challenge.

The second goal, again he could do better but the biggest culprits there are Tav and McGregor by a distance, one does the schoolboy thing of following the ball and not stepping up, and even in doing so STILL fails to get close enough to the attacker, and the less said about McGregor’s feeble attempt at saving that shot the better. It was an absolute shit show from start to finish.

I would say being on the wrong side of Boyle and being the second CD to be taken out of the game in that play is a critical error mate .

He simply had to be focussed on Boyle when Nisbet dropped deep and spun balogun because there is an obvious space right down the core of the defence .
All he managed to do was watch Nisbet run at him with the ball he was effectively neutered which given he probably had at least 2 or 3 secs is pathetic imo .

Anyway I believe Robert does have a point in that this player is always willing to point at others and I’m stuck here when has he said ‘ I messed up ‘ even ‘ I could have done better’ ? Tav eg has done said this many times , SG has when will CG tell that truth ?

The expression on his face at that miss tells me he hadn't chucked it.

I think the most important thing is - What was his mindset when the chance arose, rather than after he negligently ballooned it over the bar BBB.

Yes. Not a striker, but a professional footballer &
That was a shocking miss.

We had seven minutes to get an equaliser & get to extra time if that was executed, which also is an illustration that the match was far from over at half time.

I wasn’t shocked how two Hibs forwards rolled our CD aside on Sunday just like any good team has done , take a look at our history with him and there’s a pattern .

CG is the organiser the chief defender so what are we to think when Hibs again do that .

He talks about players being in the wrong positions when defending the corner and the throw in.

If others are in the wrong position then it will lead to him being in the wrong position to cover, especially the goal coming from a throw in.

Balogun in particular gets sucked out of position all the time.

I think the most important thing is - What was his mindset when the chance arose, rather than after he negligently ballooned it over the bar BBB.

Yes. Not a striker, but a professional footballer &
That was a shocking miss.

We had seven minutes to get an equaliser & get to extra time if that was executed, which also is an illustration that the match was far from over at half time.

"Negligently ballooned it over the bar"

Very good

Latest posts

Back