Article by Celtic minded journalist after our visit to Eindhoven in 1978

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
In case any younger fans think the vermin infestation in the Scottish media is a new thing.
This is taken from The Glasgow Herald on November 2nd 1978, the morning after our famous 3-2 win over PSV Eindhoven in the European Cup. The writer is one Brian Wilson, former Labour MP, and member of the board of directors at Celtic.
There are some who quite like him these days for his regular SNP bashing articles in the same newspaper and in The Scotsman. But even 44 years ago he couldn't hide his hatred for our club.

I was there and considering the numbers who followed there was very little in the way of disturbances, the locals were welcoming and seemed to take it all in stride. It was very much a party atmosphere capped off with a performance & result which went down in history, maybe that is why Mr Wilson took out his frustration on the Rangers support.

Surprisingly he seems to hate the SNP even more than he hates us these days.

He was a director while the worst child abuse scandal in football history was going I
on.

Maybe he should have been concentrating a little more on what was going on at his own club.
A Filth director and a Labour MP and a man who stood in a position of power whilst children were abused under his nose.
That is who Wilson is.

He was a director while the worst child abuse scandal in football history was going I
on.

Maybe he should have been concentrating a little more on what was going on at his own club.
I think he left that bit out of his book on the Celtc history. I haven't read it so don't know if he mentions "separate entity".

Celtic: The Official History​

by Brian Wilson (Author)

I was at that game. Never seen a bit of trouble. No ticket issues that I can remember. I was a regular traveler throughout that time to our European away games when hooliganism was common place across the football world. Eindhoven was a total party atmosphere and we joyously out sang the locals for almost the entire game.
There was one unfortunate incident. A beautiful Dutch girl and PSV fan told me, in perfect English, to F.uck off when I tried to chat her up. But this also often happened back in Glasgow, although the English left a lot to be desired.

That bloke Murray who wrote that Old Firm book decades ago said that Rangers fans had left behind National Front graffiti in Eindhoven and I may be wrong on this but I think he said his source was Wilson.

The scumbag also got moralistic about Nike sweat shops and child, slave labour and the like when they were sponsoring Rangers.

Not a cheep mind you, from the same 'human rights' street fighter when they started sponsoring the filth.

I remember schoolteachers as well being " offended " when we were sponsored my McEwan's, and banning Rangers shirts. Now that Celtc have Magners on their shirts, well, you know the rest.

In case any younger fans think the vermin infestation in the Scottish media is a new thing.
This is taken from The Glasgow Herald on November 2nd 1978, the morning after our famous 3-2 win over PSV Eindhoven in the European Cup. The writer is one Brian Wilson, former Labour MP, and member of the board of directors at Celtic.
There are some who quite like him these days for his regular SNP bashing articles in the same newspaper and in The Scotsman. But even 44 years ago he couldn't hide his hatred for our club.

Wonder why he was there, surely not as a sports correspondent ?

All that's missing from that article is a story about kicking over some sandcastles on the way up the road.

Reads like one of their blogs from any of the past 10 seasons

What an absolutely vile piece of 'journalism'. I doubt that there is even 10% of that is true.

I was there too and never saw an of the stuff he writes about. Our bus had arranged tickets direct from PSV and picked them up at the ground in the morning. I imagine other groups did the same because we were in the corner behind the goal we scored and it was full of Bears but also some Dutch.

What a load of rubbish, perhaps Rangers having an outstanding result, Eindhovens first European defeat in 27 years put him of his breakfast.

2500 fans turn up for an 800 ticket allocation.. half of which hasn’t reached the supporters.

Article is from 1978 you say??
The more things change and all that…

Back