As It Stands Best 11

55 and counting

If we had to play a competitive game tonight what would your 11 be from the players we have at our disposal and formation?
Not taking into account any niggles players might have just now just assume they're all ready for selection.
4-2-3-1 for me (I know in reality it's an old fashioned 4/3/3 but I like to talk pish about tactics complicating them as much as the next man)
Back 5 picks itself just now when all fit imo
McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Barisic

Jack Kamara

Kent Aribo
Hagi
Morelos
Would have Kent and Aribo changing sides during the game. I actually think that's a decent team that I would feel confident in beating most teams in Scotland most weeks.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Edmundson Barišić
Davis Jack
Aribo Hagi Kent
Morelos
Helander isn't fit, not sure about Jack or Davis either?

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Edmundson Barišić
Davis Jack
Aribo Hagi Kent
Morelos
Helander isn't fit, not sure about Jack or Davis either?
I did say don't take into consideration fitness.I think that's a decent team as well to be fair. Wouldn't have any fears fielding that team either.

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Kamara
Jack
Aribo

Hagi
Kent

Morelos

Davis and Arfield making people's best 11 is completely baffling to me

If we had to play a competitive game tonight what would your 11 be from the players we have at our disposal and formation?
Not taking into account any niggles players might have just now just assume they're all ready for selection.
4-2-3-1 for me (I know in reality it's an old fashioned 4/3/3 but I like to talk pish about tactics complicating them as much as the next man)
Back 5 picks itself just now when all fit imo
McGregor

Jack Kamara

Kent Aribo
Hagi
Morelos
Would have Kent and Aribo changing sides during the game. I actually think that's a decent team that I would feel confident in beating most teams in Scotland most weeks.

If we're playing against lesser opposition I agree, although may want Arfield's goal threat on the right of the front 3 and Kent on the left.

However, if we're playing against the mentally challengeds or good European opposition, Davis, Jack and Kamara all play in a midfield 3.

They enable us to control the game.

Davis was playing well until January and then everyones form dropped so you can understand that one.

Arfield wasn't a regular starter.

Do you actually watch Rangers mate?

I'd replace Davis given the opportunity. Arfield doesn't get near my starting 11.

Gerrard doesn't think playing Davis is baffling and he's the manager. Surely he knows more than you - because that's the sort of attitude you have towards others when you don't agree with people.

I'd replace Davis given the opportunity. Arfield doesn't get near my starting 11.

Gerrard doesn't think playing Davis is baffling and he's the manager. Surely he knows more than you - because that's the sort of attitude you have towards others when you don't agree with people.
You're still having a hissy fit because people are taking issue with you writing off a player you haven't seen?

Bit different from having an opinion on someone you've seen play about 50 times in 18 months.

Also, it seems as if Gerrard is about to replace him, so he actually agrees.

You're still having a hissy fit because people are taking issue with you writing off a player you haven't seen?

Bit different from having an opinion on someone you've seen play about 50 times in 18 months.

Also, it seems as if Gerrard is about to replace him, so he actually agrees.

Of course he agrees with you.

Our first XI virtually picks itself as we have very little quality in depth.

The midfield needs vast improvement if we are to win anything next season.
We have depth in midfield though. I think the squad is good enough and easily the best in the country but of course any additions are welcome.

If fit, as it stands:

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Jack
Aribo

Arfield
Hagi
Kent

Morelos

Arfield can be effective from anywhere for me, even if we sign a RW and I really hope we do, he’ll play plenty football whether deputising for Hagi in the 10 role, playing right of the 3 or back in the defensive 2.

McGregor
Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barasic
Kamara, Jack, Aribo
Hagi,
Morelos, Kent

If that lacks width we could go

McGregor
Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barasic
Jack,
Hagi, Aribo
Murphy*, Morelos, Kent
*provided he has a good pre-season

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

One of Davis, Arfield, Kamara or (if it’s a DM we need) Ross McCrorie
Jack
Aribo

Hagi
Kent

Morelos

I had hoped we would have signed a right sided player.

I don't think we have replaced Candeias.

I know there is still still time.

I had hoped we would have signed a right sided player.

I don't think we have replaced Candeias.

I know there is still still time.

Candeias had been dropped and replaced by Arfield on the right by February 18/19 season.

It coincided with our best run of the season.

McGregor

Tav, Goldson, Helander, Borna

Jack, Aribo

Murphy, Hagi, Kent

Morelos.

I like Murphy sucks he went on loan but understandable. RW is paramount.

This thread has only reinforced my sense of the depth we lack up front. Our midfield could do with strengthening, but our attack is not enough, as it stands, over a season. They are all good players, but our attack needs real depth.

This thread has only reinforced my sense of the depth we lack up front. Our midfield could do with strengthening, but our attack is not enough, as it stands, over a season. They are all good players, but our attack needs real depth.
As it stands that squad is not winning the league without 3 or more quality signings.

We have the makings of a decent side here.I still have a couple of concerns,we need more goals spread across the team and we still need a leader or two.Not having a go at Tav as I rate him highly as a player but we need some swagger in the team.

McGregor
Tavernier Edmundson Goldson Barisic
Jack Kamara
Hagi Aribo Kent
Morelos​

McGregor
Jack Kamara
Murphy Hagi Kent
Morelos
Harsh on Aribo but I'd be shoehorning him in at RW. Could maybe swap him with Kamara but I'd have him sharing Hagi's position.

McGregor
Jack Kamara
Murphy Hagi Kent
Morelos
Harsh on Aribo but I'd be shoehorning him in at RW. Could maybe swap him with Kamara but I'd have him sharing Hagi's position.
I'd like Murphy well over his injury and become an option. Whether that happens is highly uncertain; we don't what Gerrard has mind with Murphy yet.

Grateful if you can back that one up mate - am not entirely sure that is accurate.

After Morelos got sent off at the piggery, Gerrard played Arfield just off Defoe and both of them scored for fun, as we went uneaten until the last game of the season, including scudding the mentally challengeds.

After Morelos got sent off at the piggery, Gerrard played Arfield just off Defoe and both of them scored for fun, as we went uneaten until the last game of the season, including scudding the mentally challengeds.
Was the Morelos red v tramps at piggery not at end of march that season?

Not disputing Arfield and Defoe were scoring well after but don't think Arfield was playing at Candeias expense. Candeias still played in a number of the games before the season ended.

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Jack (Davis against some of the weaker teams)
New CM/Kamara

New RW
Hagi
Kent

Morelos

Subs:

McLaughlin
New RB/Bassey
New CB/Edmundson
Aribo
New Attacking Mid
New Inside Forward/Striker
Defoe

Ideally still 2 starters and 3 or 4 quality replacements still to be signed. Still need a number of players out of the door too.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Helander Barisic
Kent Jack Davis Aribo
Hagi
Morelos

4411 with the midfield 4 like Walter Smith used in his second season. Kent being the wide winger and Aribo as the narrow midfield who can tuck in, like Davis did.

Hagi in behind Alfie given a free role.

Last edited:
McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Helander Barisic
Kent Jack Aribo
Hagi
Morelos

4411 with the midfield 4 like Walter Smith used in his second season. Kent being the wide winger and Aribo as the narrow midfield who can tuck in, like Davis did.

Hagi in behind Alfie given a free role.

Not much ball winning, or defensive midfield quality there mate.

We have depth in midfield though. I think the squad is good enough and easily the best in the country but of course any additions are welcome.

I beg to differ. I'd like to see us sign two players who are looking to start.

How can we have easily the best squad in the country? Outwith our first XI we are struggling big time.

McGregor
Jack Davis
Aribo Hagi Kent
Morelos

Personally I think we need a RW (maybe Murph could fill that void)
I'd love to see Kent wider as well where he has more room to run at players and come onto the game rather than the left sided 10 where he's bogged down in between a 4 man defence and 5 man midfield

We are thinning the squad down, im sure we will bring three quality players in for RW, STR,MC
Mc gregor

Tav goldson hellander barasic

Jack kamara Davis

Airbo hagi kent

Morelos

I beg to differ. I'd like to see us sign two players who are looking to start.

How can we have easily the best squad in the country? Outwith our first XI we are struggling big time.
How many of them would get in your starting line up, seriously? I'd say we'd take the big French centre half and Ntcham. The rest not for me. Don't get me wrong some would get on the bench but I can't really see any other position that they are better than us in.

Back