As no one else has started a match rating. Thread

Chris the Bandito

Fod 7 1 opportunity 1 save

Polster 5 maybe 6 in second half. Okay no better. Thankfully Tav is indestructible
Halliday 7 Couple of nice moments. Generally solid
Goldson 6 not tested
Edmundson 7 not tested but impressed by his passing

Kamara 6 Low key start to season continues
Docherty 8 set up for first was Cooper v Bheggars
Aribo 7 looks so unhurried - he’s a player

Hastie 6 ok ish. Squad of 24 would say he needs loaned out
Stewart 7 good moments- that flick:) otherwise ok
Morelos -9 likes scoring, not so keen on being subbed. Best moment was the chance he set up for Docherty. Loved his attitude and pace

Subs
Mcpake 6 good on ball, inexperienced off it
Defoe 8 sharp. Scored. Scored. Him and Alfie pushing each other for a shirt mmmmhhh
Arfield 7 just knows the right option at the right time- he wasn’t spectacular but everyone else got better around him

Pretty much bang on IMO.

I'd have 1 mark up on Polster for second half. Goldson would have another mark up but after that unnecessary booking a 6 is right

Thought of all the fringe players, Docherty did the best

Peter Lovenkrands said during commentary on RTV that McPake would never have passed the ball when through on goal.
For that reason I give Defoe -1 for being in the vicinity for a pass. McPake also gets -1 for grovelling.:)

Aribo inferior to Doc....er ok.....

Agree.

I thought Aribo was our best player first half but less commanding second half.

Greg worked his butt off & got two assists but I thought from an offensive point of view he probably really started playing in the 15 minutes or so prior to going off. He did also get the penalty award.

But overall I’d say 7.5 Aribo & 6.5-7.0 Greg.

We win 6-0 with few, if any, negatives and people giving ratings of 4, 5 and 6 to debutants and kids. 4 ffs, dearie me. Haliday and doc were comfortable 8's, if not 9's. Rest, slightly less, no abject failures, none. Hastie was like doc last year, trying way too hard, and playing in an unfamiliar position. Still showed flashes of a quality being in there once he relaxes into the Jersey.

Agree.

I thought Aribo was our best player first half but less commanding second half.

Greg worked his butt off & got two assists but I thought from an offensive point of view he probably really started playing in the 15 minutes or so prior to going off. He did also get the penalty award.

But overall I’d say 7.5 Aribo & 6.5-7.0 Greg.

Personally, I was a little disappointed with Aribo this evening, aside from the goal of course. The opposition were extremely poor, so I was expecting him to be more aggressive and influential. Many of his touches were "recycling the ball" touches - we have plenty of players to do that already.
I was looking for a drop of the shoulder, some driving runs, a shot or two from distance...
Not being harsh - clearly he's a player, but competition for places in that midfield is so intense it would have been nice to see him really show his class.

Personally, I was a little disappointed with Aribo this evening, aside from the goal of course. The opposition were extremely poor, so I was expecting him to be more aggressive and influential. Many of his touches were "recycling the ball" touches - we have plenty of players to do that already.
I was looking for a drop of the shoulder, some driving runs, a shot or two from distance...
Not being harsh - clearly he's a player, but competition for places in that midfield is so intense it would have been nice to see him really show his class.

Fair comment TB. I think he’s definitely a work in progress, and still only 22 and adapting, but I think when he settles he will get us goals & assists.

Polster for me was a very good 7 ( I think he has the potential to bring even more once his confidence builds and like the fact he’s a unit )
Kamara did very little wrong. And a 5 is very harsh imo. Similarly with Hastie. You can see the boy has potential and will be a total handful for anyone up against him.
Thought Docherty did ok. More effort and athleticism than craft. An 8 I feel was a bit high.

Fod 7 1 opportunity 1 save

Polster 5 maybe 6 in second half. Okay no better. Thankfully Tav is indestructible
Halliday 7 Couple of nice moments. Generally solid
Goldson 6 not tested
Edmundson 7 not tested but impressed by his passing

Kamara 6 Low key start to season continues
Docherty 8 set up for first was Cooper v Bheggars
Aribo 7 looks so unhurried - he’s a player

Hastie 6 ok ish. Squad of 24 would say he needs loaned out
Stewart 7 good moments- that flick:) otherwise ok
Morelos -9 likes scoring, not so keen on being subbed. Best moment was the chance he set up for Docherty. Loved his attitude and pace

Subs
Mcpake 6 good on ball, inexperienced off it
Defoe 8 sharp. Scored. Scored. Him and Alfie pushing each other for a shirt mmmmhhh
Arfield 7 just knows the right option at the right time- he wasn’t spectacular but everyone else got better around him

Everyone gets a 10

Wes 7
Polster 8
Goldson 7
Edmundson 7
Halliday 8.5
Aribo 7
Docherty 8
Kamara 7
Hastie 5.5
Stewart 8
Morelos 9

McPake 6.5
Defoe 8
Arfield 8.5

The opposition were crap.
However, the team did their job as a team and scored a good few goals.
We have all watched Rangers teams of the past with the same expectations who would go on to make heavy weather of the task, especially early in the season.

What I liked is that Steven Gerrard has mixed things around with the starting elevens, but those on the park have always managed to look as if they have played together and there is an understanding of their roles and their teammates.
If this squad is to be successful over the season it is vital that every player who comes in has to slot into the team seamlessly.
We are getting there.

More or less agree with the OP on marks out of 10 apart from Docherty who was my man of the match. Put in a great shift tracking back as well as assisting with the goals.

I thought Polster was a good solid 7. Couple of good crosses in to the box. Agree with some of the guys regarding Aribo and Kamara but given time, these two will be almost unstoppable in midfield together.

Kamara had a repeat showing of the turn that did Scott Brown in the 2nd half last night which was nice to see again.

Shame it didn't lead to a goal this time.

The Daily Record in all their wisdom scored as follows

Foderingham 6,
Polster 6,
Edmundson6,
Goldson 7
Halliday 7,
Kamara 7,
Aribo 8,
Docherty 8,
Stewart 7,
Hastie 5,
Morelos 8

Arfield 4,
Defoe 4,
McPake 4

Hate to think what it might have been if we only managed a 3 or 4 goal win.
What would Morelos need to do to get 9, or god forbid 10 and Defoe comes on scores twice and gets a 4..... lol

For what it’s worth my scores are

Foderingham 7
Polster 7
Edmundson 7
Goldson 7
Halliday 7
Kamara 7,
Aribo 8,
Docherty 9
Stewart 8
Hastie 6
Morelos 9

Arfield 6
Defoe 8
McPake 7

Wes 6 - Nowt to do.
Polster 6 - Very safe
Goldson 7 - Easy for the big man
Edmundson 7 - Impressed by his use of the ball.
Halliday 8 - Got forward very well and a great block on the line.
Aribo 8 - Started very well, slowed down as the 90 went on.
Docherty 8 - Constantly moving, won the ball back alot.
Kamara 7 - Quieter than the other 2, sat a little deeper.
Hastie 5 - Not his night I think it's fair to say, missed 2 chances and didn't slip in Morelos.
Stewart 7 - Very tidy player, flick for the 6th was lovely.
Morelos 9 - Took him a half hour to get going, then he was unplayable.

McPake 6.5 - Looked nervy, raw talent is definitely there.
Defoe 8 - 2 smart finishes.
Arfield 8.5 - Looked absolutely razor sharp when he came on.

Thought Polster was mediocre at best considering the opposition were terrible.

We barely had to defend so what could he offer going forwards? Very little, his crossing was rank and he looked short of confidence.

Good job Tav seems to always be fit as Polster doesn't offer nearly enough.

Back