Ashley Cole v Ronaldo

As mentioned above he was a phenomenal player. The headlines around his move from Arsenal seem to take away how good a player he was at the time.
Remember,he was supposed to be pished off they only offered 55k PW and we all thought it was arrogant of him.He then moved to Chelsea.
55k was a lot at the time and obviously Chelsea bumped that but when you consider,which I for one didn't that he was probably the best left back in the world ,I suppose when he saw others who weren't world class getting a bigger wedge,then he is going to be miffed.

Some player

Gerrard was levels above Lampard.

Only the Chelsea fans on here would have said different.

There was a 3/4 year period when Liverpool were over achieving in the CL with a pretty average team that Gerrard was up there with the very best in the world.

He was puting in individual performances that no other midfielder in the world at that time was capable of in my opinion.
For me Lampard benefitted massively from the players that surrounded him. Gerrard, on the other hand, carried Liverpool.

I’m sure I went to see Bob Dylan at the Barrowlands that night of this game ,rubbish gig :cool:
Once saw Dylan play an entire show without looking at the audience or acknowledging that they were actually there. He rambled his way through the set list before leaving. Needless to say there was no encore.

Once saw Dylan play an entire show without looking at the audience or acknowledging that they were actually there. He rambled his way through the set list before leaving. Needless to say there was no encore.
Same that night, stood on stage side on wearing a long trench coat and black fedora hat.
I still believe it wasn’t really him that night :D

That's a bit of a myth tbh. Cole was unbelievable against Ronaldo but it wasn't like Ronaldo wasn't doing damage either. Just a great battle between two of the best in the world.

Cole is the best left back I've ever seen.

Godin vs Ronaldo was a superb duel that gets overlooked.
It isn’t a myth, Ferguson moved Ronaldo to the left wing when playing Chelsea after it became apparent that Cole had his number.

Gerrard was levels above Lampard.

Only the Chelsea fans on here would have said different.

There was a 3/4 year period when Liverpool were over achieving in the CL with a pretty average team that Gerrard was up there with the very best in the world.

He was puting in individual performances that no other midfielder in the world at that time was capable of in my opinion.
I’m one of the few who always had him ahead of Lampard. Think the bolded bit is an overstatement though. There have always been players better than Gerrard throughout his career.

Lahm for one was better
Fair point actually. He really was incredible. Cole can at least lay credible claim to having been the best at one point though. People have said the same thing about the likes of Rooney, Beckham, Ferdinand, Kane and more over the years but Cole’s about the only one with a legitimate claim.

I’m one of the few who always had him ahead of Lampard. Think the bolded bit is an overstatement though. There have always been players better than Gerrard throughout his career.
I reckon Gerrard gets into a world 11 around the 2004/5-2007/8 period.

He was immense around that time.

Cole was a sensational left back.

Overlooked only because of his perceived attitude and behaviour off the pitch.

Part of an underachieving English National team.

For me Lampard benefitted massively from the players that surrounded him. Gerrard, on the other hand, carried Liverpool.
I think its often forgotten Gerrard had xavi alsono next to him during some of his best performances. Which certainly makes thing easier then having say Gareth Barry or Charlie Adam in beside him. Taking nothing away from stevie G but alonso was also a phenomenal player

Back