Ashley to close NUFC retail store. Castore entering fold

Would they? Based on what? They never even bid for our business this time around so why would they suddenly invest heavily and offer us design input now?

In terms of comparison look at the manky mob with Adidas. Generally the same level of exposure as us. Look at that stupid tracky they wear with the different coloured stripes on the sleeves. Thats a generic template. You see it everywhere in different colours. The strip might be different but the rest is generic pish. These companies simply do not care about Scottish football. They want their flagship teams in Champions League finals, not Scottish Cup finals.

At least Castore have offered us a complete range of bespoke gear. Yes they have had issues, but lets give them next season to see if they can rectify these before binning them off.
Im not 100% of the opinion that everything for Rangers has to be bespoke. One of our very best strips from 92-94 was a template by adidas.

Fully agree with you though that the likes of Adidas and Nike aren't concerned with the likes of us or Celtic. Some templates will yield a decent kit and some won't, its never a guarantee.

It will be a great asset however to have Castore and their bespoke approach with us next season with it being the 150th anniversary where they will be more inclined to manufacture kits with supporter opinion in mind for the designs

Not gonna lie when I saw the Newcastle and Castore link I automatically thought of us.

Wouldn't put it past him to 're-brand' his business by buying Castore in the background and move away from SportsDirect due to the bad publicity and have 2 scousers running it for him. Right up his street.

Not gonna lie when I saw the Newcastle and Castore link I automatically thought of us.

Wouldn't put it past him to 're-brand' his business by buying Castore in the background and move away from SportsDirect due to the bad publicity and have 2 scousers running it for him. Right up his street.
It makes 0 sense for Castore to sell to Mike Ashley.

They'll make more money from the Rangers contract alone than they'd get for selling up.

Castore and Sports Directs business models couldn't be further apart.

Can someone with a better understanding of these things explain to me why the Beahon brothers ceased to be persons with significant control on 15th January 2020 and who the notification of a person with significant control on 4th February 2020 relates to?

Can someone with a better understanding of these things explain to me why the Beahon brothers ceased to be persons with significant control on 15th January 2020 and who the notification of a person with significant control on 4th February 2020 relates to?

That was before they were even involved with us, if I was to hazard a guess I’d say it’s likely to be Andy Murray (he also has a group of private investors). That’s just total guess part on my part but.

The two brothers are still the biggest share holders with around 20% each IIRC, according to an article from August 2020.

The document listed dated 13 Aug 20 shows all their shareholders. There are circa 103,000 shares and the Beahon brothers control more than 38,000 of them. The next biggest shareholder has circa 15,000. Below that the biggest holding is circa 4000. Andy Murray with just under 4000 shares is 5th biggest shareholder.

They sell Nike, Adidas etc. Is there a link there?

Yeah but Nike and Adidas would prefer it if their products weren't sold in Sports Direct, I think they've blocked him from selling a few of their products due to SD down-market image

The document listed dated 13 Aug 20 shows all their shareholders. There are circa 103,000 shares and the Beahon brothers control more than 38,000 of them. The next biggest shareholder has circa 15,000. Below that the biggest holding is circa 4000. Andy Murray with just under 4000 shares is 5th biggest shareholder.
Yea I have seen the shareholders list but why do the Beahons' have no significant control and who has significant control? Or is that terminology not as significant as it sounds regarding the business? :D

Yea I have seen the shareholders list but why do the Beahons' have no significant control and who has significant control? Or is that terminology not as significant as it sounds regarding the business? :D
A quick Google shows this on the Gov.uk website:

Most PSCs are those who hold:
  • more than 25% of shares in the company
  • more than 25% of voting rights in the company
  • the right to appoint or remove the majority of the board of directors

There are currently No Persons of Significant Control according to Companies House, since the Beahons shareholding was diluted below that 25% threshold.

There’s absolutely nothing in those details to suggest anything of concern.

Last edited:
A quick Google shows this on the Gov.uk website:

Most PSCs are those who hold:
  • more than 25% of shares in the company
  • more than 25% of voting rights in the company
  • the right to appoint or remove the majority of the board of directors

There are currently No Persons of Significant Control according to Companies House, since the Beahons shareholding was diluted below that 25% threshold.
Thank you VB. By the way the next biggest shareholder you mention with 15000 shares is the Monte Group (Jersey) Ltd. The Beahons' mentioned before that they were backed by one of the richest families in the UK.

If you look at the group structure of this company you will see that Monte Group (Jersey) Ltd is the parent company. The Monte Blackburn Ltd directors are Mohsin Issa and Zuber Issa. In the Sunday Times rich list 2020 they sit at number 43 and are on an upward trend.

It makes 0 sense for Castore to sell to Mike Ashley.

They'll make more money from the Rangers contract alone than they'd get for selling up.
You cannot know that.
There is private wealth behind the Scouse brothers.
Private wealth invest in businesses when they start up in order to multiply their earnings on completion of a sale or distribution deal with a bigger entity.
Rarely does the small brand stay in the hands of those who started it when it becomes a big brand.

You cannot know that.
Private wealth invest in businesses when they start up in order to multiply their earnings on completion of a sale or distribution deal with a bigger entity.
Rarely does the small brand stay in the hands of those who started it when it becomes a big brand.

Why would Mike Ashley want to buy Castore, currently, out of interest?

You cannot know that.
Ashley only buys brands that he can get for pennies.

Ashley only buys brands that he can get for pennies.

Exactly. Former well established, household name brands, that are distressed and prone to a hostile takeover.

Castore are the exact opposite of his business model.

Yeah but Nike and Adidas would prefer it if their products weren't sold in Sports Direct, I think they've blocked him from selling a few of their products due to SD down-market image

It immediately cheapens your brand. Did Castore sell anything in SD before the contract with us?

Back