Ashley's statement on EPL pay per view

Part of the article on the BBC

Clubs said the pay-to-view measure was an "interim solution" to allow fans to watch their teams live.

However, on Monday Newcastle owner Mike Ashley called for a review, saying fans had "overwhelmingly rejected" the scheme and it should be reduced to £4.95 per game until Christmas. The pricing will be debated at a Premier League shareholders meeting on Tuesday.

The model is set to be extended to the matches on 6, 7 and 8 November, but it is understood clubs are likely to delay a longer-term decision until nearer to the Premier League getting back under way on 21 November.

The clubs, which voted 19-1 in favour of the move initially, want to wait on the latest information from the government regarding the return of fans to games.

On 9 November, the government will debate a petition about the return of fans which received more than 198,000 signatures.

BT Sport and Sky Sports reportedly want the pay-per-view model to be scrapped because of concerns about the damage it is doing to their reputation. The broadcasters provided an estimate of costs to produce the pay-per-view games and the Premier League sets the price.

Newcastle United owner, Mike Ashley, has issued the following statement in relation to the Premier League's current pay-per-view arrangements:

"I am calling on the Premier League to immediately act and review its current pay-per-view arrangements for live matches in the UK.
"Charging £14.95 for single televised matches in the current climate it is not acceptable to any football fan.
"Supporters have overwhelmingly rejected this offer and the Premier League must now act.
"Why not make it much more accessible at £4.95 per match until Christmas?
"The Government should waive VAT on the above pay-per-view matches so that as many of those who are unable to attend matches in person can at least watch their team.
"The profit from the above reduced-price pay-per-view option, I would suggest that 50% would be retained by Premier League and 50% would go to the football pyramid below.
"As a club, Newcastle United did vote in favour of the pay-per-view proposal, but to be clear, this was because there were no realistic or any viable alternatives put forward to enable supporters to watch matches."
first time I've agreed with him.

Sometimes a valid enough message gets lost not because of what it is, but who it is that says it.

Coming from him, with a rap sheet that includes attempted direct Covid profiteering via the “essential shop status” fiasco and misuse of the furlough scheme with SD staff working on the QT.... aye, whatever.

Thought he was going to demand the naming rights, logos, and merch on EPL PPV.

Never wish ill of anyone but the world will be a better place when that cockroach is no longer in it.

Someone on here yesterday said fans were paying £70 to keep their seats.

not sure if that’s all clubs.

If folk are happy to compare us to Clubs receiving 80m+ in TV money then they can have a long and hard think about their complaints when 3/4 of the playing squad is sold due to no ST money

He’s right.

But he’s also taking money off fans this season so he’s got a cheek.

Also he’s Mike Ashley so he can go fück himself.

I’m actually quite enjoying this. The Premier League greed could have inadvertently opened a massive can of worms.

Fans who would typically pay for games through legitimate means have had enough. Why pay an absolute arm and leg to do it properly, when you can pay a small yearly fee and get everything and anything at no additional cost through other means.

It would be glorious if they’ve properly fucked this for themselves.

Newcastle United owner, Mike Ashley, has issued the following statement in relation to the Premier League's current pay-per-view arrangements:

"I am calling on the Premier League to immediately act and review its current pay-per-view arrangements for live matches in the UK.
"Charging £14.95 for single televised matches in the current climate it is not acceptable to any football fan.
"Supporters have overwhelmingly rejected this offer and the Premier League must now act.
"The Government should waive VAT on the above pay-per-view matches so that as many of those who are unable to attend matches in person can at least watch their team.
"The profit from the above reduced-price pay-per-view option, I would suggest that 50% would be retained by Premier League and 50% would go to the football pyramid below.
"As a club, Newcastle United did vote in favour of the pay-per-view proposal, but to be clear, this was because there were no realistic or any viable alternatives put forward to enable supporters to watch matches."

If it was his company he would be charging £19.95.

Fat Prick.

So basically Ashley voted for the greed but changed tack when the Geordies raised thousands for charity instead!!

Fat arsed bastard.

He must have something up his sleeve to make money from Toon fans

Arsehole kidding on he’s a man of the people.

Amounts to “Yeah we did vote for it, but now that we know it’s unpopular we didn’t mean it.”

Sky could also gtf with their statements. If they didn’t want to show the games at that price they could have just allowed someone else to do it.

We at Luton have all renewed our maximum allowed season tickets of 7,000. (ground only holds 10,000.)

All home games and midweek away are free of charge to watch the I follow stream for ST holders. £10 per match otherwise.

Christ 10,000 I’ve been in that ground with over double that inside more than once or twice.
As for the fat bastard he is correct charging that amount is a ripoff especially when the clubs get £100 m plus from tv deals.

If folk are happy to compare us to Clubs receiving 80m+ in TV money then they can have a long and hard think about their complaints when 3/4 of the playing squad is sold due to no ST money
Just because they receive that much doesn't mean they have spare compared to us since they also spend more than us. It just gives them more leeway when it comes to tightening their belts.

In the long term it would make a difference but not in the short term. One minute you are living within your means then the next you have lost a huge chunk of income but the bills don't change much.

Just because people point that out doesn't mean they are complaining. The PPV deal in England is better value than what we have with VST and on a better platform. That is the point here.

Not a bad deal that, I think thats something that we should have looked at as well in all honesty. I know the payment this year caused a marital dispute in my home thats for sure!

Not a bad deal that, I think thats something that we should have looked at as well in all honesty. I know the payment this year caused a marital dispute in my home thats for sure!
It’s easier said than done.

we don’t have the tv money so without the season ticket money the club would have been fucked.

our season ticket money literally keeps the club afloat and even then it needs topped up with director loans.

It’s easier said than done.

we don’t have the tv money so without the season ticket money the club would have been fucked.

our season ticket money literally keeps the club afloat and even then it needs topped up with director loans.
I get tht mate, talking ideals lol

its not, i have chelsea season ticks and havent been asked to pay anything for this season yet. for games o/s last year i was asked if i wanted refund for this year, cash back, donate to nhs.

Does anyone know if the clubs have sold season tickets in England like we have ?

They have. My two lads and wife are Burnley season ticket holders and have continued to pay during last season and also this season. In the hope they will be in the lottery for attendance allocation when small numbers are finally allowed.

its not, i have chelsea season ticks and havent been asked to pay anything for this season yet. for games o/s last year i was asked if i wanted refund for this year, cash back, donate to nhs.
Same with last year’s at Burnley. However, my family have continued to pay their season ticket instalments for this year so far. Been told - if nothing else then next year will be at zero price. (hoping they are still in Prem of course!!)

Same with last year’s at Burnley. However, my family have continued to pay their season ticket instalments for this year so far. Been told - if nothing else then next year will be at zero price. (hoping they are still in Prem of course!!)
Burnley gave a few options including full refunds, match by match refunds or carry over to next season. I don't get anything back from my accy season ticket, not that I'd want it, as I get the home games "free" on ifollow and it works out cheaper than paying the tenner a game

Christ 10,000 I’ve been in that ground with over double that inside more than once or twice.
As for the fat bastard he is correct charging that amount is a ripoff especially when the clubs get £100 m plus from tv deals.
Been all seated since 1994. In the good old days of mostly terracing, 1970 I was in a Kenilworth Road crowd of 27,023 for Luton v Arsenal. Hard to believe - there were also over 5,000 locked out that night too!

Back