Ashley's statement on EPL pay per view

Bonnyloyal

Newcastle United owner, Mike Ashley, has issued the following statement in relation to the Premier League's current pay-per-view arrangements:

"I am calling on the Premier League to immediately act and review its current pay-per-view arrangements for live matches in the UK.
"Charging £14.95 for single televised matches in the current climate it is not acceptable to any football fan.
"Supporters have overwhelmingly rejected this offer and the Premier League must now act.
"Why not make it much more accessible at £4.95 per match until Christmas?
"The Government should waive VAT on the above pay-per-view matches so that as many of those who are unable to attend matches in person can at least watch their team.
"The profit from the above reduced-price pay-per-view option, I would suggest that 50% would be retained by Premier League and 50% would go to the football pyramid below.
"As a club, Newcastle United did vote in favour of the pay-per-view proposal, but to be clear, this was because there were no realistic or any viable alternatives put forward to enable supporters to watch matches."

Gvc6jbf.gif

Before reading that I thought £14.95 for PPV was a bit of farce but I must say I now find it perfectly reasonable.

Well clears up that the clubs were asked for if they wanted a PPV option and put to a vote

Maybe didn't agree a price but they only have themselves to blame for the failure on that

Putting the games that SKY and BT don't want to show on Free-to-air TV would be "Reasonable" or creating a Virtual Season Ticket so fans get access to stream the game online regardless of what TV channel its is on would be "Reasonable".

Putting it behind a £15 paywall per game, when free is only a few clicks away, was a fucking stupid idea.

If anything, this has made a lot of people realise "They're taking the piss. Why am I paying for Sky/BT when I can just go to one of a number of sites and watch it for free?"

To be honest, I think the damage is already done. Even if they reduced it to £5 a pop, they aren't getting people buying the games.

Newcastle fans on the 10/9 year season ticket scheme , have been paying direct debits since April, they get no access to watch home games.

Before reading that I thought £14.95 for PPV was a bit of farce but I must say I now find it perfectly reasonable.
We already pay more for tv subscriptions than any other football fans on the planet. It’s a disgrace. We should get every game live anyway, given the exorbitant fees we already pay.

Even a broken clock (or should it be fat cock) is right twice a day.

Newcastle fans boycotted their game that was on PPV and donated the money to their local food bank. Think they raised £20k or so.
I seen it reported as £16k, so just over 1k fans joined their boycott. I also seen sky and bt complaining about providing the service, saying they are getting a bad name for being greedy ( no laughing at the back please.) asking for £14.95, when it was the EPLs choice of price.
It seems to me that these admin in football have no idea what the product is about. It’s not just entertainment, it’s not just a team sport or even a sport, it’s part of the fabric of a working class mans week, month, year. It’s the reason that thousands upon thousands of people have season tickets throughout Britain, no other entertainment or sport has the devotion of a football fan. Yet these diddies think that means they can rinse us even more! I say more power to the fans that boycott, although I suspect that their power has been felt already with low numbers taking up the option, thus why Sky/Bt are bleating. They won’t be complaining if they were breaking record numbers, that’s for sure.

I detested pay per view until I opened the thread and realised its pissed him off. I’m now a fan.

Fat cûnt.

I seen it reported as £16k, so just over 1k fans joined their boycott. I also seen sky and bt complaining about providing the service, saying they are getting a bad name for being greedy ( no laughing at the back please.) asking for £14.95, when it was the EPLs choice of price.
It seems to me that these admin in football have no idea what the product is about. It’s not just entertainment, it’s not just a team sport or even a sport, it’s part of the fabric of a working class mans week, month, year. It’s the reason that thousands upon thousands of people have season tickets throughout Britain, no other entertainment or sport has the devotion of a football fan. Yet these diddies think that means they can rinse us even more! I say more power to the fans that boycott, although I suspect that their power has been felt already with low numbers taking up the option, thus why Sky/Bt are bleating. They won’t be complaining if they were breaking record numbers, that’s for sure.

How long before they say if it’s £14.95 a game then let’s hike the monthly sub up to £50/60/70?

A lot of folk would have kept SS throughout lockdown when there was nothing on but replays of various sports and that’s how they get repaid?

It might not have been sky’s decision but it is their name next to the box office is it not?

Reactions: TQ3
How long before they say if it’s £14.95 a game then let’s hike the monthly sub up to £50/60/70?

A lot of folk would have kept SS throughout lockdown when there was nothing on but replays of various sports and that’s how they get repaid?

It might not have been sky’s decision but it is their name next to the box office is it not?

Because the Premier League asked the existing Pay broadcasters to provide the service on their behalf than do it themselves

These games Sky have the rights on a delayed transmission - Game of the Day etc

Because the Premier League asked the existing Pay broadcasters to provide the service on their behalf than do it themselves

Sky must have known there would be a backlash to this. How long would it have taken the EPL to set up their own channel to do this?

Sky must have known there would be a backlash to this. How long would it have taken the EPL to set up their own channel to do this?
Probably around 2 weeks by the time they source a streaming provider and put things together again maybe they don't need that hassle?

Problems lies with Premier League on this as no agreement was in place before the season started and als the fact they hope fans in limited would be back in grounds at beginning of October as well so PPV wouldn't have happened anyhow

It is messy situation for those fans that just want to see their team in action

At least we have an agreement in place for our games and be grateful for that

Probably around 2 weeks by the time they source a streaming provider and put things together again maybe they don't need that hassle?

Problems lies with Premier League on this as no agreement was in place before the season started and als the fact they hope fans in limited would be back in grounds at beginning of October as well so PPV wouldn't have happened anyhow

It is messy situation for those fans that just want to see their team in action

At least we have an agreement in place for our games and be grateful for that

Absolutely

These games Sky have the rights on a delayed transmission - Game of the Day etc
Bt are doing it as well.
both broadcasters are against it, but still providing the pictures with their OB units.

Do the season ticket holders at EPL clubs get TV access to home games in the same way as we do?
No because they either never sold them or they are refunding them. Some clubs offer the chance to retain your Seat for a small charge or to roll over this years money towards next years season ticket.

It's the EFL that you get free access to home games on iFollow with a season ticket. My Accy Stanley season ticket cost £219 for 23 games so works out cheaper than paying the tenner a game on ifollow.

Yes, I meant ppv.
why would both cover the games if not for profit and not in contract.
Don't understand

Do you mean delayed coverage normal?

There is 180 games not available for live coverage there is package/s to which put out to tender and currently Sky hold that since they bought the package, these are the PPV ones

Last edited:
Back