Assuming no real additions

No problem with what we have,very adequate imo.For me it’s the manager who has to change things.Team selections,tactics better suited to the league we play in,quit picking
favorites,and everyone playing in their proper positions etc.

For me we need to add a core of steel. A no nonsense centre half, a leader in the middle and a striker wether Alfie goes or not. We proved for half a season that ability is not the issue. Mentality clearly is. Obvious to say but we need a higher level more often out of the key players. In terms of competition for places then start using this Academy more effectively. It needs to feed the club financially in future years.

Still need either a good step up in quality across first team and squad or a significant regression from Celtic. Dont think the current squad has enough to get 90 points while under pressure every week.

It's actually fairly obvious what we need.

A striker to push Morelos or 2 if he goes.

A midfield bastard.

A right sides attacker.

A leader/organiser at the back.

I'd move Tavernier and Goldson on but realistically that won't happen. Can only hope a Centre Back is signed that improves their games.

As it was put to me last week, going from Barker and Jones to Hagi and (almost) Vydra is a sign that Allen to Wilson is looking like a good upgrade.

Top 6 away games (outwith filth) remain his achilles heal.

I still worry the guys he has down as his leaders are the ones that will cost us across a season.
We are there ir there about we need to add more goals through out the team for a Start and we're needing a dominant midfielder for a start. Davis can't play 2 games a week clear as day it caught up with by xmas. I'm a big fan of Jack Gerrard has done a brilliant job with him but he's another that struggled to play two games a week and is liable to pick up sm injury that keeps him out for a month or two. We need someone to play on the right this has to be there actual position no shoehorning hagi or aribo in there who ever comes in has to have goals in them. There's a high probability alfredo will need replaced and at the back I can't see much changing unless one centre back leave. For what I've seen Helander should be first pick if someone's coming in there it has to a partner for him and not someone to make the numbers up/one for the future. Wilson has impressed me so far if he gets these right we're onto a winner I wouldn't be half as confident if it was Allen looking for players

If you look at our stats then you quickly realise it's not the defence that's the problem; it's the attack. When we're without Morelos we struggle. More often than not we seem unable to break teams down and end up throwing crosses in from strangely deep positions which are almost impossible to do anything with.

Would keep Barasic and Tavernier. Impossible to find good quality and relatively consistent full backs.

Took ages for Borna to find his feet and now he has we are desperate to flog him to the first buyer? Not for me.

Wouldn't mind selling Goldson, Kamara, Morelos to fund our incomings.

Think we could replace Goldson easier than we could Tavernier or Barasic. Kamara isn't even a regular first 11 player when everyone is fit and firing. Morelos is our best player but doubt his value will get any higher even if we were to keep another two or three seasons.

Sign a RW player who is better than Candeias, Ojo, Hastie, Jones etc.
Sign a CB who is as good or better than Goldson.
Sign a ST who can get us the same amount of goals domestically as Morelos.
As well as a couple of players who can compete at full back and a captain to replace Tavernier.

All simple on paper really and could be possible if we get some luck in the transfer market. And get the right money for the big players who might be sold.

It's actually fairly obvious what we need.

A striker to push Morelos or 2 if he goes.

A midfield bastard.

A right sides attacker.

A leader/organiser at the back.

I'd move Tavernier and Goldson on but realistically that won't happen. Can only hope a Centre Back is signed that improves their games.

See aside of the specific sorts of players we need, we also need to be able to play more than one style and formation, especially when the one we currently use does not seem completely suited to two of our best attacking players.

We are also desperately crying out for more goals from midfield.

The last 2 OF games we absolutely destroyed them. It’s not a personnel thing imo it’s an attitude thing. And constantly bringing in 6 new players won’t solve that.

We were the better team then and have now added Hagi so the desperation for a squad overhaul is bizarre. All of our regular 1st team players are good enough to win us the league. Prove it every week and they will!

The scum aren’t getting stronger under Lennon and there is no recent evidence to suggest they will have a good transfer window. They need one more than us.

Only a few are needed and if we get the right players we are in a very strong position.

Barisic and Morelos will go I reckon.

I'd also look to move on Tavernier, Goldson and Kamara.
Agree with all of this. Morelos I’m sure is fed up being hassled and the club probably know there is a risk in not cashing in on him this summer. It seems like Barisic’s agent may be hawking him to Serie A. Tavernier, Goldson and Kamara are all prone to mistakes.

1 starter level striker. Someone who could partner Defoe against the lesser teams. A typical lil and large combo

1 left winger that can beat a man and deliver a cutting pass or goal. Kent plays on the right but ideally they can interchange

1 dynamic box to box midfielder. The boy touted last year Majer looked a great fit.

Back ups for full back positions. Tav probably suffers because he’s never injured or suspended and never misses a game. Barasic can pick up the odd wee 2 week kinda knock

Back up GK if Mccrorie goes on loan and his big brother doesn’t fancy another shot between the posts

....and I'm factoring in Covid and the impact on transfers.

Basically, and non scientific, do you think manager has learned enough, and has right man in Ross Wilson, to take us where we want to be?

So, will what we do plus experience and tweaks, be enough? Or is SPL unique enough to cause deep concerns?

Thread assumes no Asian takeover with 25m warchest.
Easiest answer in quite some time NO.
can Ross Wilson score 20 plus goals per season?

We can sign whoever.......there’s no way they are letting us win it or anything after this year the referees will make doubly sure the decisions all go the right way ........against us

Can this side get back to playing the way we did up to Christmas 2019? If so we have a chance, but too many of the team looked like dead men walking post-break. I’d love to think there’s a way back for Morelos, but I doubt it. Age has caught up with Davis and Defoe. Midfield needs more bite. Defence badly needs revitalised and solidified.

Of course, another 5 - 6 player rebuild would be a huge risk, especially in post COVID circumstances, and with officials bending over backwards to accommodate that shower’s title requirements.

But if Gerrard thinks that last years team is a busted flush, then a clear out / rebuild is the only way to go.

As it was put to me last week, going from Barker and Jones to Hagi and (almost) Vydra is a sign that Allen to Wilson is looking like a good upgrade.

Top 6 away games (outwith filth) remain his achilles heal.

I still worry the guys he has down as his leaders are the ones that will cost us across a season.

This.

I’ll really fear for us if the guys he deems the leaders, lead us into next season too. We definitely need a few more starters too because there’s just not enough quality in the squad.

We need a Davis replacement. Someone that can give the cover for Hagi to play with more freedom. If Morelos goes we need a played in that position that Hagi can feed. Alfie’s best work is done as a line striker need someone who might work better with Hagi.

Need to get right sided attacker. Lacked credible option on that side Kent is better on left.

Also need a third striker. Not sure about Kamberi at all. Would prefer a young upcoming striker.

If we go into next season with more or less the same group of players as we have done over the last two seasons - we’re going to get the same outcome.

Bottle over the course of a domestic season, quality, ability to adapt.... whatever it is, we don’t have enough of it.

We need more goals and genuine danger men who will put teams to the sword.

Morelos frustratingly let us down again after the turn of the year, but one thing that was evident, if he doesn’t score goals for us - chances are that we’ll drop points. He is/was that important.

I would go into next season with the team we had no problem, we had them on the ropes, stumbled and couldn't regain our footing, experience helps there.

My issue is we have lost 7 players from that squad (I know some were on loan) so unless the kids are ready to come in and make an impact, then we need 2-3 match day players, not just there to make up the numbers. There'll be a decent amount of free transfers etc so hopefully we can nab a bargain or two

....and I'm factoring in Covid and the impact on transfers.

Basically, and non scientific, do you think manager has learned enough, and has right man in Ross Wilson, to take us where we want to be?

So, will what we do plus experience and tweaks, be enough? Or is SPL unique enough to cause deep concerns?

Thread assumes no Asian takeover with 25m warchest.
What effect would Wilson have if it isn’t new players or players leaving?

Think selling Borna would be a grave error.
Borna imo will leave in the summer of 2021.
We need to build a new team virtually between now and then.
Stick ons to leave by summer 2021 are borna, morelos,defoe,davis,murphy, docherty, mcrorie,middleton,stewart,barker,jones and maybe arfield.

As of the end of March there was no sign whatsoever the manager knew what to do domestically. We were an absolute mess, only the Braga matches saved him from coming under huge pressure. He certainly doesn’t look like he’s learned enough in his 1 3/4 seasons in charge to be able to deal with next season.

We need 3-4 players who will walk into the 1st team and replace the dross who let us down. We also need another half dozen to strengthen the squad. We don’t have that money, so our weak links from this season will be the weak links next season.

Even in the unlikely event we do find ourselves challenging, the board’s recent humiliating capitulation will ensure that the referees and SPFL will feel free to cheat us out of the title with no risk of any fallout.

As of the end of March there was no sign whatsoever the manager knew what to do domestically. We were an absolute mess, only the Braga matches saved him from coming under huge pressure. He certainly doesn’t look like he’s learned enough in his 1 3/4 seasons in charge to be able to deal with next season.

We need 3-4 players who will walk into the 1st team and replace the dross who let us down. We also need another half dozen to strengthen the squad. We don’t have that money, so our weak links from this season will be the weak links next season.

Even in the unlikely event we do find ourselves challenging, the board’s recent humiliating capitulation will ensure that the referees and SPFL will feel free to cheat us out of the title with no risk of any fallout.
Poor manager, dross players, useless board?
What is there to support?

Morelos staying could be vital. Hagi now done. Two top class additions and we could be ready. I agree with others that it might be better to replace Tav. He is just not a winner.

At the very least I’d like to see the captaincy transferred to Jack, but I don’t see Gerrard making a decision like that. If Tav remains as skipper, I genuinely don’t see us winning anything.

How to stop crumbling after winter break---don't bloody have one.
Think that would go for every break, whether it be winter or for international we always come back worse off. That really needs to be addressed and I agree,we don't have any,we seemed to cope before.

If we make no serious additions then we won't win the league next season it's as simple as that.

We should be throwing every resource available to get as many quality players in during the summer whilst offloading any assets needed so we can upgrade the team as much as possible.

5 quality additions will be required plus maybe 2 or 3 more to bulk the squad up especially since we appear to be offloading the majority of the fringe players who aren't good enough.

Massive work still to be done imo.

Tav isn't close to being the top of our worries man, we are struggling %^*& to score goals and people are desperately wanting rid of Tav like replacing his 14 assists will be piss easy. I agree I would personally give someone else the armband but Gerrard sure as %^*& knows more about captains than I do.

The two seasons prior to 19/20 we were the top goalscorers in the league. What's changed? I still maintain it was a huge mistake to let Candeias go, especially considering we got buttons for him. Tav needs someone to cover him imo or he'll struggle to push forward to full effect, plus he ends up in no man's land stuck between pushing forward and tracking back.

We need better quality.

We need to be more resolute.

We need the gaffer to learn from his mistakes and be willing to sacrifice on his ideals for the sake of pragmatism.

Am I convinced we will get it right next season? Truthfully, no. I will need to see evidence of all 3 above before I will be convinced we can sustain a challenge beyond February.

It's genuinely baffling seeing people advocating we sell 3, 4 or 5 of our best players all in the one window to fund other signings. There's zero guarantee the players we bring in will be better than who we let go.

You see mad quotes like sell Kamara for 6m and buy two 3m players. Would the two 3m players not likely be worse than Kamara if their transfer value is 50% of his?

All of our players have their price but if we sell 3, 4 or 5 guys who play for us every week then we can forget about it next season. We need to keep as many of our core as possible. If we get an offer we can't refuse for one of them that might allow us to get a couple in that improves the team overall then fair enough. Like when we sold Fergie for 8m and brought in Buffel, Kyrgiakos and Watterus.

Losing half a team of key players in the one window is madness though.

If things stay the same, we'll be guaranteed 2nd place once again.

We definitely need, a defender, 2 strong midfield additions and another striker, 2 if Freddie goes.

Do want to sit through another after Christmas collapse.....

Last edited:
At the very least I’d like to see the captaincy transferred to Jack, but I don’t see Gerrard making a decision like that. If Tav remains as skipper, I genuinely don’t see us winning anything.
This, I don’t get.
Where has Jack been successful as captain?
Also, Jack has played most of the games that Tavernier has been captain.
Has he demonstrated anything that would suggest he’s a better option than Tavernier?
If so, where and what?
For me, if Tavernier is to be replaced, it has to be a new player and a well respected and experienced captain.

The two seasons prior to 19/20 we were the top goalscorers in the league. What's changed? I still maintain it was a huge mistake to let Candeias go, especially considering we got buttons for him. Tav needs someone to cover him imo or he'll struggle to push forward to full effect, plus he ends up in no man's land stuck between pushing forward and tracking back.
So you genuinely think we were not struggling for goals the way we were playing?

We didn't let Candeias go, he chose to go. He wanted a guaranteed spot in the team we rightfully didn't agree to that. Tav was playing perfectly well before the January break without Candeias covering him constantly so that is utter nonsense. Aye he gets caught out of position sometimes, that happens when you have attacking full backs, it happens to TAA, it happens to Jordi Alba, it happens to Robertson, it's just a price you pay when you want your full back to influence the game as much as we do

Morelos staying could be vital. Hagi now done. Two top class additions and we could be ready. I agree with others that it might be better to replace Tav. He is just not a winner.
If that’s the reason for selling, there’s a lot more to move on.
Or, will everybody suddenly become a better player if Tavernier isn't there?

Maybe the wrong thread for this but seen the OP mention Asian investment which I’m sure was coming from Hong Kong? Worth keeping an eye on the current developments in China with regards to the the new security legislation being imposed on Hong Kong.

Mike Pompeo’s statement last night might have a hindrance on any Asian investment with developments in Hong Kong meant it could no longer be considered to have a “high degree of autonomy from mainland China”. The declaration could have major implications for Hong Kong's trade hub status and investments from the region.
Help me!
I‘m thinking you can’t be serious but don’t knoW what hwfg means.
here we f go...

Maybe the wrong thread for this but seen the OP mention Asian investment which I’m sure was coming from Hong Kong? Worth keeping an eye on the current developments in China with regards to the the new security legislation being imposed on Hong Kong.

Mike Pompeo’s statement last night might have a hindrance on any Asian investment with developments in Hong Kong meant it could no longer be considered to have a “high degree of autonomy from mainland China”. The declaration could have major implications for Hong Kong's trade hub status and investments from the region.

here we f go...
The main investor works from Tokyo I'm sure, the real estate guy can't mind his name

Still 2 or 3 needed for me. A replacement for the Steven Davis position, a guy who can kick crap out of opposition teams like Motherwell and sit in front of the back four

So you genuinely think we were not struggling for goals the way we were playing?

We didn't let Candeias go, he chose to go. He wanted a guaranteed spot in the team we rightfully didn't agree to that. Tav was playing perfectly well before the January break without Candeias covering him constantly so that is utter nonsense. Aye he gets caught out of position sometimes, that happens when you have attacking full backs, it happens to TAA, it happens to Jordi Alba, it happens to Robertson, it's just a price you pay when you want your full back to influence the game as much as we do

When the gaffer signs 2 players that play in your position (Ojo and Stewart) it's more or less saying you're surplus to requirements.

No player should be guaranteed a starting position but then we don't know how behind the scenes conversations went.

Candeias would definitely have given us more than those 2 though.

Back