Assuming no real additions

When the gaffer signs 2 players that play in your position (Ojo and Stewart) it's more or less saying you're surplus to requirements.

No player should be guaranteed a starting position but then we don't know how behind the scenes conversations went.

Candeias would definitely have given us more than those 2 though.
Well he clearly had no desire to stay and fight for his place, don't want that kind of attitude in the dressing room

Well he clearly had no desire to stay and fight for his place, don't want that kind of attitude in the dressing room

Bit harsh.

Candeias was a grafter for us. If I seen a manager sign the likes of Stewart, Hastie, Ojo, Jones etc. that could all play in my position then I'd be taking it as a 'your time is up'.

Why wouldn't we make multiple big signings? We've dumped a lot of wages. Other than the overall landscape changing, I'd think there's still opportunity to add to the squad.

Also, I see Daniel Candeias is getting the FF treatment of getting better and better the longer he's gone. More love for him now than there ever was when he was here.

Bit harsh.

Candeias was a grafter for us. If I seen a manager sign the likes of Stewart, Hastie, Ojo, Jones etc. that could all play in my position then I'd be taking it as a 'your time is up'.
If he wanted to play for us he would have stayed and fought for his position whether it was Jones or Sancho that was signed until Gerrard told him his time was up. That didn't happen, he threw in the towel instead of battling to keep his place.

So you genuinely think we were not struggling for goals the way we were playing?

We didn't let Candeias go, he chose to go. He wanted a guaranteed spot in the team we rightfully didn't agree to that. Tav was playing perfectly well before the January break without Candeias covering him constantly so that is utter nonsense. Aye he gets caught out of position sometimes, that happens when you have attacking full backs, it happens to TAA, it happens to Jordi Alba, it happens to Robertson, it's just a price you pay when you want your full back to influence the game as much as we do
Struggling is maybe the wrong word.
If we’d scored the same amount of goals, spread across more games and, most importantly, by more players, we probably wouldn’t have collapsed the way we did post break.
We absolutely relied too much on Morelos.
When he wasn’t there, or when he wasn’t scoring, we struggled.

Reactions: LD5
If he wanted to play for us he would have stayed and fought for his position whether it was Jones or Sancho that was signed until Gerrard told him his time was up. That didn't happen, he threw in the towel instead of battling to keep his place.

Fair enough if that's your opinion but we don't know what was said behind closed doors. For all we know the gaffer could have said "You'll be 3rd choice and we could do with your wages being freed up"

Portraying him as a guy that chucked in the towel, without knowing the full facts is unfair IMO

Whoever thought we would get to a point were we are confident of beating them in a match but we still cant beat Kilmarnock consistently.

It really is mind boggling

When our players are on form they have enough to win title but when we get into battles away from home we seem to fold, if we could get one really good central midfielder to start with please.

We absolutely have to mix it up next season and be more direct in certain games.

This, I don’t get.
Where has Jack been successful as captain?
Also, Jack has played most of the games that Tavernier has been captain.
Has he demonstrated anything that would suggest he’s a better option than Tavernier?
If so, where and what?
For me, if Tavernier is to be replaced, it has to be a new player and a well respected and experienced captain.

Personally I feel Jack has demonstrated more grit, fight and passion in matches (remember how disconsolate he was after the League Cup final) to make me believe he’s the most suitable player out of those already at the club to take on the role of captain.

I agree that ideally we’d simply sign a ready made captain and leader, but I doubt Gerrard will give the captaincy to anyone else unless Tav leaves.

That in itself is a bit of a problem.

We will win feck all when your core players are Tavernier, Goldson, Jack and Morelos.
They all have a combination of issues related to fitness, mentality, temperament and consistency which means on the occasions that matter, to maintain a league challenge, the wheels will always fall off.

If that’s the reason for selling, there’s a lot more to move on.
Or, will everybody suddenly become a better player if Tavernier isn't there?
He is not a leader. Should not be captain.
I don't think SG will embarrass him by stripping him of it. Hence might be better if he moves on.
I wish/hope SG had the balls to simply take away the captaincy as I do think his assists are important.
I would go as far as saying that in order to be a successful manager SG MUST take these hard decisions and ignore player feelings.

If we got bids of say £20m for Morelos and £7/8m for Kamara, I'd sell them. Say 75% of that went towards the squad, I'd instantly sink the best part of £15m on a ST, RW and CM that would fire straight into that starting eleven.
Bite your hand off for that kind of money

Fair enough if that's your opinion but we don't know what was said behind closed doors. For all we know the gaffer could have said "You'll be 3rd choice and we could do with your wages being freed up"

Portraying him as a guy that chucked in the towel, without knowing the full facts is unfair IMO
True, its equally unfair saying Gerrard got rid of him then. What isn't unfair is saying we need a better standard of player than him.

Struggling is maybe the wrong word.
If we’d scored the same amount of goals, spread across more games and, most importantly, by more players, we probably wouldn’t have collapsed the way we did post break.
We absolutely relied too much on Morelos.
When he wasn’t there, or when he wasn’t scoring, we struggled.
That is a big big if though, the way we were playing we looked like the game could go for hours without us scoring, we never looked like threatening teams at all at points. To me that is struggling to score. It was different before January ofc, but we became far too stale because we never try anything different.

I'd say we need 4 first team improvers to go with what we have if we want to win the league. No one has mentioned the goalkeeper position. Tin hat on maybe but time is running against mcgregor. We need a top goalie. Not hladky or mcrorie.a top first team goalie.

True, its equally unfair saying Gerrard got rid of him then. What isn't unfair is saying we need a better standard of player than him.

No disagreement on that part here.

The 2 guys we brought in were downgrades though which is frustrating. Gerrard has to get it right this summer.

Why wouldn't we make multiple big signings? We've dumped a lot of wages. Other than the overall landscape changing, I'd think there's still opportunity to add to the squad.

Also, I see Daniel Candeias is getting the FF treatment of getting better and better the longer he's gone. More love for him now than there ever was when he was here.
people forget he was pretty pish from the jan until he left.
He’s a star now he’s gone

So you genuinely think we were not struggling for goals the way we were playing?

We didn't let Candeias go, he chose to go. He wanted a guaranteed spot in the team we rightfully didn't agree to that. Tav was playing perfectly well before the January break without Candeias covering him constantly so that is utter nonsense. Aye he gets caught out of position sometimes, that happens when you have attacking full backs, it happens to TAA, it happens to Jordi Alba, it happens to Robertson, it's just a price you pay when you want your full back to influence the game as much as we do

The only thing that's nonsense is to say that Tavernier hasn't missed Candeias, I'm not for one second saying that he's the solution to all of our problems but we'd be stronger as a team with him than without him. I'm aware of the situation surrounding his departure, clearly Gerrard didn't feel that it was worthwhile making any assurances to get him to stay, doesn't mean that letting him go was necessarily right.

I’d say this would give us a good chance of a proper challenge:
McGregor
Tavernier New CH Helander Barisic
Jack New CM
New RW Hagi Kent
Morelos
Subs New 2nd GK New 2nd LB Goldson Davis Aribo Defoe New CF
Others: Firth Patterson Edmundson Katic Kamara Arfield Jones

A commanding centre half good in the air, dominant central midfielder, right winger with goals in him and an experienced (but not past it) striker good in the air are the main investments required I think.

The only thing that's nonsense is to say that Tavernier hasn't missed Candeias, I'm not for one second saying that he's the solution to all of our problems but we'd be stronger as a team with him than without him. I'm aware of the situation surrounding his departure, clearly Gerrard didn't feel that it was worthwhile making any assurances to get him to stay, doesn't mean that letting him go was necessarily right.
That is because of how bad his replacements were though, we'd be stronger as a team with Judi Dench at RW instead of Barker. But its nonsense to say Tav only defended well with Candeias playing, he has put in multiple brilliant defensive displays without Candeias both this season and last season.

I’d say this would give us a good chance of a proper challenge:
McGregor
Tavernier New CH Helander Barisic
Jack New CM
New RW Hagi Kent
Morelos
Subs New 2nd GK New 2nd LB Goldson Davis Aribo Defoe New CF
Others: Firth Patterson Edmundson Katic Kamara Arfield Jones

A commanding centre half good in the air, dominant central midfielder, right winger with goals in him and an experienced (but not past it) striker good in the air are the main investments required I think.

Refs will never give Morelos a fair crack especially next season.
It’ll be the same old same old and we will be here next year complaining about the same shite.

Gerrard does not trust him that’s why he will be sold.

Back