Aston Villa to expand capacity of Villa park

It absolutely is not a myth. It’s the same for every London club and I say this as someone who used to regularly go to Stamford Bridge
20% of West Ham's attendance are tourists - i.e. 12,000 ?!

Simply not the case. At all.

From the start of the season their capacity will be increased to 62,500. And that's not to accommodate more 'tourist' fans.

Last edited:
We could do with a slight increase in capacity (5k or thereabouts) but I've never understood this desperation to rebuild the Copland, Govan and Broomloan stands. There's nothing wrong with them.

As for Villa, they have a nice stadium and a big support - I don't really like them though.

Stadiums are not about size.

Stadiums are about fans as was perfectly illustrated last season in our European games.

If we could replicate the European atmosphere of last season at home league games we would never lose a game again.

Villa are a fairly big club but their fans are shite compared to our home fans when the mood suits so so out with the increased revenue that it’ll bring them stadium size is pretty irrelevant In the grand scheme of things.

They seem like they struggle to fill Villa park most of the time with its current capacity. Not that I watch them much but anytime I see a clip of their games there's always empty seats.
Where they finding these punters to fill another 7 thousand or so spaces
That was my opinion as well, there always seems to be an awful lot of empty seats yet if you look at their official figures they’re nearly up to capacity for every game.

I see they are putting in pre application planning permission to go to 50 k capacity .

I've got to be honest it rips my knitting seeing these smaller clubs having tens of millions to spend on their stadiums and training grounds due to them being in the EPL and the riches that entails.

We've had tremendous praise and plaudits from all-around Europe for our stadium and rightly so as it's a special venue with a unique atmosphere.
Hopefully the board have a medium to long term plan for Ibrox to maintain and enhance this,but as always it's hard to see where the finances will come from.
They got £14.5m from HS2 for land they had and spent £14m on their new training ground

Would love for us to rip down the Copland, Broomloan and Jardine stands and build them again (pushing capacity to as close to 65/70k as possible). Facia of the Main stand staying as is of course but we will never have the cash for it, our geography will always dictate that sadly.
We would be lucky to fill it more than ten times a season, there is nothing wrong with our stands that a bit of modernisation would bring it back to the tip-top form, Toilets and concourses could do with a few quid spent on them, and sort out the kiosk to a better standard

Clubs in England (large and small) are in a different financial universe to us

If we were in the EPL we'd have a redeveloped Ibrox and £40m players. We dont because we're stuck in this Scottish football backwater
Absolutely; a few years back I saw a rich list of football clubs and one of the years Hull were in the EPL, they were in something like the Top 30 richest clubs for income, due to the TV money alone. It's mental

Agree. Would much rather be in Spurs position owning the stadium outright and it being built in (more or less) the same spot as their old home, than a West Ham fan who’ve been completely stitched up
Think the saying is that both West Ham and Arsenal have have had the fabric ripped out of their club/s.

I know nothing about Aston Villa’s finances but I would doubt they have cash reserves to fund any major redevelopment costs. The sunk costs here will be enormous and the likelihood is they will borrow significant funds against future income streams something, I believe, football clubs should avoid like the plague. One bad year an unlucky bounce of the ball and the future can look awful bleak.

I would also ask the obvious question, are they selling out their ground every week.
Don’t they now have extremely wealthy owners? Not Man City or Newcastle but similar to Liverpool and now Chelsea?

Villa Park is a nice traditional British stadium, hope any changes are done tastefully.
Villa Park is testimony to Deadly Doug Ellis's mismanagement of that club, that's why it has 4 different stands.

And never forget, Archibald Leitch's penultimate masterpiece, the Trinity Road Stand, was demolished in the name of "progress", a crime that Villains of a certain age will never forget, or forgive.

Don’t they now have extremely wealthy owners? Not Man City or Newcastle but similar to Liverpool and now Chelsea?
Yes
Nassef Onsi Sawiris is an Egyptian billionaire businessman born on January 19, 1961. He is the youngest of Onsi Sawiris' three sons (Naguib and Samih). His net worth was estimated at $7.8 billion by Forbes, being the richest Arab and second richest African. In July 2018, it was revealed that Sawiris would be added over the chairmanship of Aston Villa F.C. from Tony Xia after the NSWE bought 55% of the controlling stake. NSWE is jointly owned and controlled by both Sawiris' group NNS and American billionaire Wes Edens. Read more: https://sportsbrief.com/facts/top-l...-ten-richest-premier-league-owners-newcastle/

Think the saying is that both West Ham and Arsenal have have had the fabric ripped out of their club/s.
I agree to an extent. Moving stadiums in principle isnt a bad thing. Arsenal’s was purpose built, and you can see it from their old ground. They own it outright.

West Ham moved to an athletics stadium, that they don’t own and that was subject to a bidding war in a location 3-4 miles from their own patch.

That would be the equivalent of us moving to a multipurpose stadium in Bishopbriggs.

If we had the cash, we'd probably need an 80k seater to accommodate our waiting lists etc.

It pisses me off too.
Are villa going to sell out every other week? Not a chance.

I know nothing about Aston Villa’s finances but I would doubt they have cash reserves to fund any major redevelopment costs. The sunk costs here will be enormous and the likelihood is they will borrow significant funds against future income streams something, I believe, football clubs should avoid like the plague. One bad year an unlucky bounce of the ball and the future can look awful bleak.

I would also ask the obvious question, are they selling out their ground every week.
Should have stopped after the first 7 words haha. Villa have super rich ambitious owners who have a longer term plan to be 7th then breach into top 6. With a 20k ish waiting list for season tickets

I agree to an extent. Moving stadiums in principle isnt a bad thing. Arsenal’s was purpose built, and you can see it from their old ground. They own it outright.

West Ham moved to an athletics stadium, that they don’t own and that was subject to a bidding war in a location 3-4 miles from their own patch.

That would be the equivalent of us moving to a multipurpose stadium in Bishopbriggs.
Just regarding the former Olympic Stadium, a few clubs in London-Leyton Orient was the most vociferous-complained about the probity of WHU getting tenancy.

Regardless, guess what, the Hammers by all accounts got the deal of the century and it's guaranteed that they will inevitably have ownership and the two "curvas" will be chopped to make it a "pwaper" football ground.

Up the 'Ammers!

Ibrox needs at least another 5k imo. At least but logistically and financially I don't know how viable it is.

Safe standing with a greater ratio than 1 to 1 is our best hope and by far the cheapest option.

It isnt permitted here at present but is allowed in Germany and elsewhere. No reason why this cant happen here if its permitted elsewhere.

I get that some of their fans came across as absolute idiots during the Gerrard transfer, but personally always had a lot of time for Villa.
Worked down that way for a while, and quite enjoyed going to see them the odd time.

We would be lucky to fill it more than ten times a season, there is nothing wrong with our stands that a bit of modernisation would bring it back to the tip-top form, Toilets and concourses could do with a few quid spent on them, and sort out the kiosk to a better standard

Fair but our Kiosk's cannot be fixed without a complete overhaul. We are limited in what we have atm. Our 'Kiosks' are as out of date as you'll find. 'Spending a few quid' will do nothing sadly.

I've got to be honest it rips my knitting seeing these smaller clubs having tens of millions to spend on their stadiums and training grounds due to them being in the EPL and the riches that entails.
Likewise. Most of the clubs couldn't hold a torch to us either.

Would love for us to rip down the Copland, Broomloan and Jardine stands and build them again (pushing capacity to as close to 65/70k as possible). Facia of the Main stand staying as is of course but we will never have the cash for it, our geography will always dictate that sadly.
I wouldn’t like us to rip down those three stands,redevelop yes.
These three stands are as an important part of our history as the main stand now.
Willie Waddle says they are a memorial to our 66.I agree,update and expand yes.

I wouldn’t like us to rip down those three stands,redevelop yes.
These three stands are as an important part of our history as the main stand now.
Willie Waddle says they are a memorial to our 66.I agree,update and expand yes.

In an absolutely ideal scenario, that is what I'd like to see.
Sadly, not sure even from a constructability point of view that it is possible to redevelop and get the size and quality we require.

Just regarding the former Olympic Stadium, a few clubs in London-Leyton Orient was the most vociferous-complained about the probity of WHU getting tenancy.

Regardless, guess what, the Hammers by all accounts got the deal of the century and it's guaranteed that they will inevitably have ownership and the two "curvas" will be chopped to make it a "pwaper" football ground.

Up the 'Ammers!

Recall listwning to a The Price of Fiirball podcast a few years back discussing West Hams tenancy of the London Stadium where it was actually described as the Deal of the Century.

The Hammers got a 99 year rental on the stadium for a paltry £3m a year, astonishingly this comes with the club having no responsibility for both the running costs or upkeep of the ground. The owners of the ground soon realised what a bad deal they had signed off on that they pleaded with West Ham to renegotiate the terms of the deal but the club repeatedly told them to sling their hook.

I think Ibrox could do with another 5,000 and that would be the perfect number for us. I don’t want much done to Ibrox though - we have THE most special stadium in the UK. With the most match going actual supporters - guaranteed that at every game way over 95% of people there are actual die hard Rangers supporters. None of this tourist nonsense you get down south.

Before writing such guff what dont you do a couple of minutes research into who owns them and come back and let everyone know why they wont require to raise significant funds - forget about the EPL income and look at owners personal wealth
Sorry, I didn’t realise that I was undertaking a school project and that required prep and would be marked. I will try harder next time, honest.

So, explain to me how they won’t require to raise significant funds. Who is commissioning the work the owners or Aston Villa. Who will be paying for it the owners as individuals or Aston Villa. If it’s Aston Villa do they have cash reserves to meet the costs of a project which will not immediately be cash generative. If not are the owners going to put in new equity for the specific purpose or will Aston Villa require to borrow and pay the significant interest cost. The owners individual wealth means nothing if they are not investing the cost of the project in new equity. Hope this helps!

It used to be a popular ground to visit for away supporters,not sure if that's still the case.

Showing my age but used to enjoy the F A cup semi finals at Villa Park.

The Villa Live idea is a good one and is something I wish we would look at. Have a kind of mini Rangers mall with club shops, bar and places to eat. Big screens showing games. Etc.

That would never work as the residents of that area were complaining of hearing noise from the Ed Shearing gig at Hampden.
Apparently it was keeping their children awake. :p

Back