At least 127 dead following riot at football match in Indonesia

Horrific. The headline is bit misleading, it dose not appear the fatalities were down to fighting/rioting. It seems to be more down to the Police response and their attempts to control the crowd.
Appears there was a pitch invasion and when the police tried to clear the pitch the fans tried to use the one exit gate leading to crushing and suffocation.

Indonesian football culture is very different to anything anywhere else on the planet.

They’ll fight to the death.

Natural reaction to tear gas is to run for cover, stands were packed, mental amounts of tear gas fired has created the stampede I reckon, crazy scenes.

Appears there was a pitch invasion and when the police tried to clear the pitch the fans tried to use the one exit gate leading to crushing and suffocation.
I watched the clips and commentary on Sky news this morning. The use of tear gas as a form of crowd control (against FIFA rules) drove the crowd into a confined space as you say. the tragedy is the pitch invasion didn’t look any worse than the usual you see across the world. It would probably have burnt itself out fairly quickly if the Police had not piled in with batons and tear gas.

Absolutely tragic. They oversold the stadium. Home team lose the Derby. Section of fans run onto the pitch. Police vastly overreact to the situation, fire a ton of tear gas into the crowd. The ordinary punters try to flee ends in a crush. This shouldn’t happen in 2022

Sounds horrible.

Seems like the following things should not have happened and just kept escalating the situation:
  1. A few fans tried to get at the home players
  2. Police rightly stopped them entering the pitch but wrongly kicked the %^*& out of them
  3. More fans then went to get back at the police
  4. More police, dogs and soldiers got involved
  5. A few hundred fans then rioted, destroying police cars
  6. Police then used too much tear gas, too quickly causing people to bottleneck at the exits
Horrible :-(

1312 Among The Ultras by James Montague has a chapter dedicated to Indonesia. I didn’t know much about it until I read it, the author was genuinely terrified there more so than when he went to Eastern Europe.

Remember coming across this documentary on Indonesian football and thinking how mental it is. There ultras gathering at 7am to practice there song and chants is utterly bonkers.

Last edited:
I’ve been to a few horrific football stadiums that just screamed death traps, Morocco, Laos and Indonesia right up there. Sadly it’s came true, the police ? Utter contemptible rock steady cunts. Don’t care what the fans done or wanted to achieve, tear gas fucking tear gas to control a crowd? Nah not in this day and age

2 coppers dead as well. Those that invaded the park have blood on their hands.
I agree to an extent but imagine it on our Isles?
Or let’s take the scum Hibs fans charging our end and attacking our players. Nobody died, nobody need die
It’s an absolute outrage what has happened

I’ve been to a few horrific football stadiums that just screamed death traps, Morocco, Laos and Indonesia right up there. Sadly it’s came true, the police ? Utter contemptible rock steady cunts. Don’t care what the fans done or wanted to achieve, tear gas fucking tear gas to control a crowd? Nah not in this day and age
Certainly not inside a death trap of a stadium. Idiocy on both sides here.

Back