Who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.
This should be posted on every wall on the UK and every political parties manifesto but somehow I dont think 90%of parties would,wonderful words on a day of remembrance

Seeing the world go on round about me - people don't care. Not because of making the more modern conflicts all about their political views. They just don't care. They don't understand the magnitude of what has happened.

We're so comfortable now that the vast majority don't care. Both world wars really weren't that long ago.

I'm always very critical of modern conflicts but having no choice to fight the tyranny of those 2 world wars and the millions who gave their lives so we could live ours should never be forgotten.

I will always take the time on rememberance sunday and on the 11th for those that made the ultimate sacrifice of dealing with the worst of mankind for the luxuries we now all enjoy.
Well said, Lawsome.

Older Bears who grew up in the 50's/60's were steeped in our War history and lore, particularly WWII, then so comparatively recently ended. Movies, tv shows, boys' comics like The Victor and Commando, BB attendance - all this kept Remembrance Day at the forefront of our minds.

The modern trend to 'politicise' and hi-jack the Day to promote particular agendas is at complete odds - and a gross insult - to the simple and
sincere acknowledgement of the millions who sacrificed everything.

I'm guessing you're a younger (if not young) Bear, and if so, your attitude adds credit to your sentiments and is a tribute to your upbringing and assimilation of the values of a Rangers supporter, or more accurately, any decent human being.

I would like to thank any current and ex servicemen and women who post on here.
We don’t ask for thanks mate, we don’t feel any different to anyone else doing their job.

That being said, I’m immensely proud to have served my country for 9 years and it’s always nice to be appreciated.

I wish I had a fraction of the courage that the bold Harry has, despite his objections he is the definition of a hero.

We don’t ask for thanks mate, we don’t feel any different to anyone else doing their job.

That being said, I’m immensely proud to have served my country for 9 years and it’s always nice to be appreciated.

I wish I had a fraction of the courage that the bold Harry has, despite his objections he is the definition of a hero.

You guys do us proud.

Well you're getting them anyway :) . I posted earlier about the service at the war memorial in my village and the squad of soldiers that attend. At the end they were fell out and got a spontaneous round of applause from the hundreds that were there, I loved it. Hasn't happened before in the 17 or so years I've been going, English reserve I suppose and the solemnity of the occasion but I was really glad to see it today.

Was at the service in St. Peter's church chellaston Derbyshire.
Back to the ex legion club where the silver band went through war time tunes.
Big thanks to Ron and rob owners of R&R for hosting and putting on the purvey.

Well you're getting them anyway :) . I posted earlier about the service at the war memorial in my village and the squad of soldiers that attend. At the end they were fell out and got a spontaneous round of applause from the hundreds that were there, I loved it. Hasn't happened before in the 17 or so years I've been going, English reserve I suppose and the solemnity of the occasion but I was really glad to see it today.
Appreciated mate

My grandfather was on the front line at El Alamein. Thankfull he made it back but was very hesitant to speak about his experiences. I fear he may have had PTSD, But of course PTSD didn't exist on those days

Every man and woman who serve or have served our country deserve nothing but the utmost respect from EVERYONE in this country. We should have a public holiday on the 11th November every year to commemorate the brave souls who served us and their country, and especially thise who paid the ultimate sacrifice

LWF

Well said, Lawsome.

Older Bears who grew up in the 50's/60's were steeped in our War history and lore, particularly WWII, then so comparatively recently ended. Movies, tv shows, boys' comics like The Victor and Commando, BB attendance - all this kept Remembrance Day at the forefront of our minds.

The modern trend to 'politicise' and hi-jack the Day to promote particular agendas is at complete odds - and a gross insult - to the simple and
sincere acknowledgement of the millions who sacrificed everything.

I'm guessing you're a younger (if not young) Bear, and if so, your attitude adds credit to your sentiments and is a tribute to your upbringing and assimilation of the values of a Rangers supporter, or more accurately, any decent human being.
Nice words my friend!

God rest all those brave souls who made the ultimate sacrifice. It's all too easy to take for granted the freedoms that their actions gave us.

Lest We Forget.

This was read out this morning,don’t remember hearing it before

It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Beautiful, shamelessly stolen. Just beautiful.

The mystery of the Roll of Honour at St Margarets

As a child I attend Netherton St Matthews Church of Scotland, which is sadly no longer there having shut in the early 1980s and formed a union with St Margaret’s at Knightswood Cross.

In “the Wee White Church”, as it was known, there were two Rolls of Honour - one for the Great War and one for the Second World War. It never occurred to me until recently why a church opened in the 1940s would have a memorial to the dead of the Great War in it.

When I did started pondering why I assumed that perhaps there had a been an outreach mission to the farmers and miners who would have lived around the area before the Knightswood scheme was built in the 1920s.

In fact, as I found out today from Aileen Campbell who was/is a member of both St Matthews and St Margarets the plaque originally came from St Matthew's Highlanders' Memorial Church at 357-363 Bath Street - that church was burnt out in the 1950s and the congregation merged with what had originally been called Garscube-Netherton to form Netherton St Matthews.

When St Matthews closed the congregation at the Roll of Honour went up to St Margaret’s. There was also a wooden plaque for the dead of the Second World War which seems to have been lost or is in storage.

This morning during the Armistice service wreaths were laid on behalf of the congregation and the Sunday School to the plaques from St Matthews and the one which commemorates the dead of WWII from St Margarets. Each year a Boys Brigade wreath is laid despite there no longer being a company attached to the church.

You will notice that some of those commemorated served in the 16th Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry - famously composed mainly of former Boys Brigade members whose actions included the famous defence of the “Frankfurt trench” - at the Battle of the Somme 671 officers and men of the 16th went into action - at roll call three days later 403 were reported dead, wounded, captured or missing.

For gold the merchant ploughs the main
The farmer ploughs the manor
But glory is the sodger's prize
The sodger's wealth is honor
The brave poor sodger ne'er despise
Nor count him as a stranger
Remember he's left his country's stay
In day and hour of danger

Brother Robert Burns

Last edited:
Back