At their peak how would Gazza compare with Hagi Snr?

Lets agree to disagree, in the late 80's and early 90's Real and Barca were in the wilderness, we were are a far superior team picking up the best of England and Euro stars, we were cheated out of Champs league glory by Marsellies bribing the motherfuckingshit out of refs.

Barcelona won the ECWC in 1989 and the European Cup in 1992.

They were never in the wilderness FFS.

I'm pretty sure Keegan's Newcastle were in for him at one point, I wonder how he would have been rated if he'd played in the premier league.

I loved Hagi senior, but Gazza at his peak was the best player in the world. 1990 World Cup era.

Gazza wasn’t even the best player at that World Cup. He definitely had the tools to become the best player in the world, but he never quite got there, IMO.

Gazza had fantastic skills. Hagi had fantastic skills for years and years. Gazza had "problems" which affected his career. People remember Gazza as this outstanding player at Ibrox, but he had a 1st season at 9/10, a second season at 7/10 and a third at 3/10. He averaged a goal every 2 games in 1st 2 season and about 1 in 5 in last season. His legs had gone.

Gazza was world class for about 2 years. And when with us he only turned up for a season and a half. Hagi was better.
I'm not googling this stuff, I always prefer my fuzzy memories of those years even though they may be wrong but he did play to a much higher level in his later years. Think he won much more honours too.

I was a student at the time and still remember sitting in a room at a party somewhere in the grassmarket in edinburgh at the back of 12 on a saturday night, when he scored that goal against columbia. Some world cup that

Both different players but both exceptional.

Don’t think it’s either or as they were on a similar level.

There is absolutely no comparison at the time Gazza signed for us he was world class silly thread but hopefully hagi can hit those hights great player

Weirdly I was thinking this today. Started off Hagi v Stoichvok then Gazza.
Hagi ahead of Stoichkov but not of Gascoigne.
If Gascoigne had went to a Milan or Juventus, he’d have been more recognised and appreciated, in my opinion.
I don’t know if he had those options, if any, but I never felt that Lazio was right for him.

Both world class ,im going for Hagi Snr ,played for both Real and Barca ,Gazza didnt reach that level IMO,ok Spurs Lazio Rangers does not compare
Back then, Spanish football wasn’t what it is now.
Italy was the place to be and where the money was.
Still an outstanding player with an outstanding career though.

What impact did Hagi have compared to Gazza? Genuine question as I had no recollection of Hagi being in Italy

He got relegated. Same as Laudrup.

Genuine question. What impact did Gazza have on Italian football ? Zoff loved him, Zeman hated him. He was never fit enough to make the impact his talent should have made.

Gazza played 3 seasons in Serie A. Overall he played 12 more games and scored 1 more goal than Hagi managed in 1 season.

Gazza, Stoich
Gazza, Stoichkov then Hagi in that order for me. All were a joy to watch and fantastic players in their own right. The first time I saw Hagi was World Cup 98 and I looked out for him because my dad said he was one of the best players in the world but I was slightly disappointed after seeing him sky numerous free kicks over the bar.

Lets agree to disagree, in the late 80's and early 90's Real and Barca were in the wilderness, we were are a far superior team picking up the best of England and Euro stars, we were cheated out of Champs league glory by Marsellies bribing the motherfuckingshit out of refs.

1990 Real Madrid had Butragueno and Sanchez up front

1990 Barca had Michael Laudrup and Stoichkov up front

We were nowhere near their level.

In context tho Gazza signed for Lazio at a time when Italian football was far more superior to Spanish football and Gazza is still revered from the Lazio support.

Not doubting that mate just as strong as we were in the late 80s early 90s we weren't on same level as Madrid/Barca

He got relegated. Same as Laudrup.

Genuine question. What impact did Gazza have on Italian football ? Zoff loved him, Zeman hated him. He was never fit enough to make the impact his talent should have made.

Gazza played 3 seasons in Serie A. Overall he played 12 more games and scored 1 more goal than Hagi managed in 1 season.
Not a lot in all honesty yet he's still revered by the Lazio support. I'm not arguing Gazza was the better player here. On his day he was as good as Hagi tho.

I think some are letting the blue tinted specs cloud their judgement.

As good as Gazza was he never had the longevity of Hagi.

He wasn’t called the Maradona of the Carpathians for no reason.

Played for both Real and Barca as well as at 3 World Cups and 3 European Championships.

Both extremely talented but Hagi did it over a far longer period of time.

What a question that is from the OP so well done on that.

That is so difficult to answer but if I had to put my life on the line to choose between the both of them then I would go for Gascoigne.

I think it is actually Gascoigne’s spirit and will to win that does it for me as Hagi was just every bit as skillful if not more.

I'm too young to really remember a pre injury Gazza when he was at his best, as good as he was for us. And Hagi played at the top level in an era when you just didn't see even the best teams on TV that often, especially foreign sides. For that reason I doubt there's many people on here who saw enough of them both to comment on who was better but Hagi had the better career, played for better teams.

Both world class ,im going for Hagi Snr ,played for both Real and Barca ,Gazza didnt reach that level IMO,ok Spurs Lazio Rangers does not compare

if only Gazza had never sustained that terrible injury he’d have gone to bigger and better clubs.Mind you, he probably wouldn’t have ended up a Ranger. Karma.

Just looking at Hagi's stats and although he played for both Real and Barca, he only managed 2 seasons at both clubs and didn't get that many games for Barca. I have to assume he also had flaws in his game?

Both supremely talented superstars and both were partial to the odd brain fade. At international level i would say Gazza stood out more but at club level i thought Hagi shone more.

What a question that is from the OP so well done on that.

That is so difficult to answer but if I had to put my life on the line to choose between the both of them then I would go for Gascoigne.

I think it is actually Gascoigne’s spirit and will to win that does it for me as Hagi was just every bit as skillful if not more.
Any Lazio fan I've ever spoke to love him to bits, your stats mean %^*& all

I'v never spoke to a Lazio fan. That he only played 40 odd games for them would suggest he was either injured or just shit during his time in Rome.

I'v never spoke to a Lazio fan. That he only played 40 odd games for them would suggest he was either injured or just shit during his time in Rome.
He was injured, it's well known he suffered a lot of injuries in his career, had he not suffered them we wouldn't have got a look in, simple as that.

Back