At their peak how would Gazza compare with Hagi Snr?

The fact that Gazza played for Lazio when Juve and Milan were the top teams tells you everything. It's like someone signing for Aberdeen and people saying he's the best player in the world.
At his very best, Gazza was as good as anybody, but he didn't do it week in, week out.
Gazza played 47 games in Serie A, 6 goal's, in 3 seasons.
Hagi played 135 games in Spain,31 goals in 4 seasons
Hagi played 31 games in Serie A, 5 goals in 1 season.

Gazza was my hero growing up and still is

But anyone who thinks he was better than Hagi has blue tinted specs on

Gazza was a great entertainer and one of the best midfielders in Europe at his peak which was about 3 years between injuries.

If Gazza had gone on Bullseye, and Jim Bowen had shown him what he could have won it’d be Hagi’s career.

Hagi in the mid 90s was a genuine contender for title of best player in the world - admittedly at a time when there wasn’t an heir apparent to the Maradona era and before Zidane. He was a top player for two decades, the star for the biggest teams in the world and he dragged otherwise mediocre teams to international success and European trophies. And he was still a little bit mental.

In his last season with us, Gazza barely kicked a ball. When it was being rumoured he was leaving, my mate said we couldn't let him go as we had 2 games v bheasts coming up. We sold him, beat the bheasts twice but ended up winning nothing. At the end of the season, my mate said the reason we won nothing was because we had sold Gazza. That sums up people's opinion of Gazza, an inconsistent, injury prone, wonderful player who seldom lived up to his hype.

Gazza could have been one of the top 5 ever...if he'd got his head together. Unfortunately, although he hit great heights it was too short lived. Hagi maintained top level performances for longer so gets my vote.

Sorry but much as I loved Gazza, Hagi was a better player.

This is demonstrated by my belief that we were the biggest club Gazza played for, whereas Hagi represented both Real Madrid and Barcelona in a glittering career.

Both wonderful players, it is a tough one that. Hagi if I recall, brilliant as he was, could drift right out of games and appear lazy, but his record speaks for itself. He had the better career.
I cannot bring myself to say he was a better player than Gazza though, just not happening!

So close to call i suppose it'll be what you want from your Midfielder, if Hagi had success at Real or Barca then he'd have walked away with it.

Hagi along with Stoichkov, Romario and Baggio made me fall in love with World cup football in 94 and made me interested in European leagues.

I'll go for Hagi.

Both wonderful players, it is a tough one that. Hagi if I recall, brilliant as he was, could drift right out of games and appear lazy, but his record speaks for itself. He had the better career.
I cannot bring myself to say he was a better player than Gazza though, just not happening!

Back when you only really saw players like Hagi in the summer international comps Hagi was one of the players I loved watching as a kid. Some of his long range shots were superb.

I see others are putting Hagi above Stoichkov which I don’t agree with tbh but everyone’s allowed their own opinion :))

Difficuilt one as I think both were so different in styles.

At eithers very best, I would have Gazza, if I was to have one for the duration of their career it would be Hagi.

Ideally, Both behind a striker :D

Gazza didn't reach the levels of Hagi, though should have with the talent he had. Hate saying it but Hagi for me

Lets agree to disagree, in the late 80's and early 90's Real and Barca were in the wilderness, we were are a far superior team picking up the best of England and Euro stars, we were cheated out of Champs league glory by Marsellies bribing the motherfuckingshit out of refs.
Barca won it in 91/92

Gazza was a sublime talent and so was Hagi.
However Hagi accomplished more for longer at the top because he was a better professional, and this is so often the case when comparing many of the top players.
George Best and Jim Baxter at their peaks were both incredible, but at the end of the day, it is the Kenny Dalglish's and the Kevin Keegan's who make the longer and more professional impacts if not always the glowing often mercurial memories for those who witnessed such players.

Looking at it on paper, surely you'd have to say Hagi?

Played for Barcelona & Real Madrid. Compared that with Gazza who never really played with a 'top' world class side.

Meanwhile in the real world Diego was leading his team to another world cup final.

Gazza single handedly led England to the semis, and were put out by the eventual champions on penalties. Weak argument ;)

And this was before any bias with the Rangers connection, Gascoigne for me was the best player at that tournament.

Next you'll be saying, Maradona 1994 was better than Hagi 94 lol

Back