At what age did you hang up your boots?

Got an arthroscopy on my left knee when I was 28 (I'm now 51) and was told it had wear & tear the equivalent of a 60 year old man and my footballing days were over.
I still miss it like hell!

Mid 30’s and and play 5s & 7s weekly.
Gave up 11s at 17 as playing with hangovers wasn’t much fun plus back then there was still a lot of fighting between schemes and different areas which made its way into football as well. Wasn’t worth the hassle.

48 and playing 3 times a week, indoors on a monday and outdoors on a Wednesday and friday. Its good fun and usually not taken too seriously but there is the odd dodgy tackle, most of the time its an older guy taking out one of the young guys.
I ain't up to much but i enjoy getting out for a run about and its definitely preferable to sitting in watching the telly.

I played in goals. We got beat 10-0 in a Scottish Cup game and I actually got Referees M.O.T.M.
Nothing left to achieve in the game after that.

32 after my 3rd and final ACL tear. As I was lying in hospital, sweating like a pig, my knee ballooning in white hot agony, I told my Mrs if I ever told her I was playing again she had to remind me of this moment

I am 62 and just gave up fives about 6 months ago due to pains in my heels, my joints were still reasonably OK.

Most of the guys I played with were in their 40's and 50's, but there were a couple of guys in their mid 20's as well.

If I didn't cover runs I would get shouted at, and there were plenty of hefty tackles. There would be arguments if the games were tight

I miss it, especially the games where there was maybe one goal in it after 45 minutes and everyone is giving their all.

44 gave up at 12 (ie was Shite) for basketball started playing 7s again at 39 for fitness. Biggest issue I see is that UK is geared for under 30 - in Canada leagues for every age group. If your decent you can get away with a few years but not everybody is decent. One guy from Sandy row still turns up at 79 - he plays at the back it goes there he boots up the park. Doesn’t matter how good you are find a group and give it a go - if nothing else cuts the beer for an hour.

Back