Attacking 3-5-2 - Rangers most effective formation?

Nacho Novo

Would anybody take an attacking 3-5-2 formation tomorrow to see if we might actually play better? Can always change back to a 4-2-3-1 if its not working but it would be interesting to give it a go. Wes on top form, Tavernier, Martin and John with Docherty and Holt sitting infront of them should be stable enough against a team like Ross County. The 3 attacking midfielders of Candeias, Windass and Murphy with Morelos and Cummings as our forward partnership is just magic and fills me with hope for the rest of the season. I have confidence in this team that we could easily cope with playing a 3-5-2 and that other teams will be shïtting theirselves against us because we've found a formation that can finally break teams down when they flood their own box with every player!

Morelos, Cummings
Murphy, Windass, Candeias
Holt, Docherty
John, Martin, Tavernier
Foderingham

3-5-2-Formation.png

It's the obvious solution to fit Windass, Cummings and Morelos into the side.

Not sure Murphy and Candeias are ideal wingbacks though. John and Tav are probably more suited to that role.

(Obviously Tavernier and John wouldn't be playing centre back as shown in the diagram but naturally both wider out)

No chance we can play a back 3 of John / Martin / Tavernier.

If we did that we’d instantly lose the good attacking attributes that both John and Tavernier bring.

We normally dominate games, we're in the oppositions half for probably 75% of the game then at full time moan about not taking more of our chances haha. Totally battered Aberdeen on Wednesday night and also the fact we play better away than at home. Tav and John would still be bombing up and down with that line-up.

I actually think our best formation is the diamond, but so many players wouldn't play such as Murphy and Candeias. Not sure where Dorrans fits either.

Wes

Tav
Martin
Bates
Wallace

McCrorie
Jack
Docherty
Windass

Cummings
Morelos

How nice is it to have this headache with the depth we finally have though

IMO i would like us to field a more attacking team against smaller teams because far toomany times this season we have been guilty of playing too deep against the smaller teams

Would like to see a 4-1-3-2 tomorrow with either of the 3 below sitting deep

Wes
Tav martin bates john
Goss/holt/docherty
Candeias windass murphy
Buffalo. Cummings

Mate, we'd concede 9 goals a game with that defence.

It's basically a back one unless you eliminate one of our most attacking threats in Tav and tell him to stay back which is mental.

John is also an attacking full back.

It's basically the worst tactical suggestion I've ever seen anywhere ever.

Can't think of a single football team that's ever played a one man back line, but aye, let's at least give it a shot. No surrender etc.

Don't see why they couldn't use the defensive set up in the photo but move them out ever so slightly wider, so they aren't both well out at the edge of the pitch where they're normally positioned.

In a tough away game at Dingwall where we really need to pick up points to catch them up, i'm not sure it's the time to experiment with a 3-5-2... especially with Tav and John as part of the back three instead of two more solid defenders like Bates and Cardoso.

I'd prefer to see a Walter style "Immortal Scorpion" (remember the Shogun sho-gizzle?) 5-4-1 that transforms into an attacking 4-5-1 if we're going to be experimenting away from home. :)

While on the topic, remember the great man? I loved his videos, we need to get another American player in the squad and ask him to start making these videos again, they were amazing... :D

Behold... the immortal scorpion!

https://www.youtube.com/user/ShogunIllEmperor/videos

Come back Shogun!! ;)

Candeias and Tav wouldn’t be able to play in the starting 11 so not for me. 4231 is our most effective although I’d maybe like to try 442 against the lesser teams to see Cummings and Morelos together.

Can't think of a single football team that's ever played a one man back line, but aye, let's at least give it a shot. No surrender etc.

Tbf pedro did that game where he took 3 defenders aff for wingers at half time or something hahaha tbh we shouldve realised it wasnt gna work out when he was kamikaze’ing games at home like that hahaha

How nice is it to have this headache with the depth we finally have though

IMO i would like us to field a more attacking team against smaller teams because far toomany times this season we have been guilty of playing too deep against the smaller teams

Would like to see a 4-1-3-2 tomorrow with either of the 3 below sitting deep

Wes
Tav martin bates john
Goss/holt/docherty
Candeias windass murphy
Buffalo. Cummings

4-1-3-2 is also a great formation mate, allows for an attacking line-up with an extra centre back, but would mean one less midfielder which may mean a Docherty or Holt would need to be ontop of their game every match. There may even be an option to play McCrorie as the CDM and drop Windass for Docherty or Holt.

4-1-3-2 is also a great formation mate, allows for an attacking line-up with an extra centre back, but would mean one less midfielder which may mean a Docherty or Holt would need to be ontop of their game every match. There may even be an option to play McCrorie as the CDM and drop Windass for Docherty or Holt.
Totally agree mate wi the mcrorie shout thats who i had in mind if we had the full squad available and play that formation also may be wrong with the doc shout at cdm as i believe he plays further up but to be honest id be lying if i said id seen much of him although ive heard nothing but good things

That's a 442 diamond.

Would anybody take an attacking 3-5-2 formation tomorrow to see if we might actually play better? Can always change back to a 4-2-3-1 if its not working but it would be interesting to give it a go. Wes on top form, Tavernier, Martin and John with Docherty and Holt sitting infront of them should be stable enough against a team like Ross County. The 3 attacking midfielders of Candeias, Windass and Murphy with Morelos and Cummings as our forward partnership is just magic and fills me with hope for the rest of the season. I have confidence in this team that we could easily cope with playing a 3-5-2 and that other teams will be shïtting theirselves against us because we've found a formation that can finally break teams down when they flood their own box with every player!

Morelos, Cummings
Holt, Docherty
John, Martin, Tavernier
Foderingham

3-5-2-Formation.png

The point of the 352 is to play the wing backs in the 5 with 3 central defenders in the 3, so to accommodate Tav and John you're essentially dropping more attacking players further forward.

The 4231 gives you the attacking wingbacks and your more potent players in the lineup further forward with one of the 2 (or both) dropping back for cover with the wingbacks are attacking.

Imo we'll rotate between 442 diamond and 4231 depending on who we play, I like that Murty uses both and suits us very well.

It also gives us a great deal of flexibility mid game if we need to change it.

First time I've seen anyone described as a 'side midielder'.

352 could work for us, but Tav would need to be the right wing back, which would mean you'd lose Candeias. Similar on the left with Murphy.

The point of the 352 is to play the wing backs in the 5 with 3 central defenders in the 3, so to accommodate Tav and John you're essentially dropping more attacking players further forward.

The 4231 gives you the attacking wingbacks and your more potent players in the lineup further forward with one of the 2 (or both) dropping back for cover with the wingbacks are attacking.

Imo we'll rotate between 442 diamond and 4231 depending on who we play, I like that Murty uses both and suits us very well.

It also gives us a great deal of flexibility mid game if we need to change it.

Bingo.

The formation we have now is perfect because we have the perfect players to play 4-2-3-1. Thank god Murty is the coach and not follow follow. Cummings role in the squad is very simple and the way it should be, he will get a chance and he has to play better than Morelos and if he does he gets in the team.
What we have now is a genuine threat down both flanks, Windass is perfect in his role and Morelos is perfect as the lone striker. We have quality coming in from both flanks and partnerships on both flanks.

Why would you change that and you don’t play a back three with two full back, even Pep would not be that bold. I doubt it but the Diamond formation may be used again but it would be Windass and Morelos up front if it was.

We play in the Spl. ...we should be playing to attack and win every game. Two up front = get it done.

Any selection or formation without Candeias is the wrong formation.

I wont even bother to comment on the rest of the formation.

First time I've seen anyone described as a 'side midielder'.

352 could work for us, but Tav would need to be the right wing back, which would mean you'd lose Candeias. Similar on the left with Murphy.
I wouldn't be against Murphy in a left wing back role.

Morelos, Cummings
Holt, Docherty
John, Martin, Tavernier
Foderingham

3-5-2-Formation.png
Are you seriously suggesting playing three at the back where that three includes two full backs??? Do you think it’s the 1950s? :eek::rolleyes:

We now have a group of players that allows us to adapt and change the formation, which is nice. How refreshing to have more than 11 players that we want in the starting line up!

As for 3-5-2... not sure I’m convinced. Might work with Tav and John as wing backs, but not the time to be changing things about.

Mate, we'd concede 9 goals a game with that defence.

It's basically a back one unless you eliminate one of our most attacking threats in Tav and tell him to stay back which is mental.

John is also an attacking full back.

It's basically the worst tactical suggestion I've ever seen anywhere ever.

I would agree mate. Hope the OP doesnt think
He has a career in football management. Its a shockingly bad suggestion.

Back