Attacking Players Finally Click Then Subs

Took an age for Aribo, Hagi and Kent to really click but they started cooking then the usual raft of substitutions come on. I just don’t understand it.

Davis and Arfield slow the game down. They play backwards and don’t really extend themselves when they come on.

Felt for Itten, surely it makes sense for him to get game time with the likes of Aribo, Hagi and Kent on the pitch at the same time?

Roofe and Itten deserved to come On and play with the regulars.

when Gerrard said after the game he wasn’t happy with the performance at 3-0 I think a lot of that was probably down to the changes two of which have barely played with the rest of the team. The standards did drop but I think with the 5 subs we will see a lot of games peter out after 70 mins. Bad for the sport and the fans.

If you’ve got the chance at 3-0 up then giving key players an extra 30 mins rest is well worth it. It will change the game dynamic that many subs at once but we were never threatened there on in.

3 games a week and potentially a 60 game season. Are you at the wind up?

First answer nails it yet again on here also add in the players coming on are in need of important game time , why are there always so many negative threads on here after positive performance do folk just sit in the house and look for ways to be annoyed instead of enjoying the game

Took an age for Aribo, Hagi and Kent to really click but they started cooking then the usual raft of substitutions come on. I just don’t understand it.

Davis and Arfield slow the game down. They play backwards and don’t really extend themselves when they come on.

Felt for Itten, surely it makes sense for him to get game time with the likes of Aribo, Hagi and Kent on the pitch at the same time?

All Of the players who came in needed game time. I don't think we can keep them as subs giving them 20 mins here and there and then expect them to step up as soon as we have an injury.

Honestly it's like crazy town in here tonight.

The gaffer has been slated for not subbing for well over a year. Now he starts subbing to rest players (as we have almost 2 games a week till march) and he's slated.

Big game on Sunday mate.

Game tonight was won, so conserve energy.

Makes perfect sense.

Actually glad Gerrard is making more use of the subs, it is a long season ahead and we have ran out of steam the last 2 years

AWK is never happy. Too many subs, not enough subs, easy to criticise with hindsight.

We won the game with a good bit to spare, clean sheet, hopefully no injuries and the new players got a run out.

Davis and Arfield slow is down big time. I sense they’ll be a source of frustration this season.

Add in Kamara beside them and it’s grim viewing
Arfield was further up the pitch more than Jack and Kamara combined.

That's not a dig at Jack or Kamara as they did their jobs brilliantly tonihht, but Arfield presses the hell out of teams and gets in behind way more than either.

Davis I agree slows us down but that's what he is supposed to do, the game turned into pinball.

Game management IMO. Keep possession and dont let in at the back.

Your a source of frustration with your constant negative nonsense tbh. Kamara was excellent tonight, grim viewing indeed.

I didn’t slate Kamara

My point was that Davis and Arfield together slow us right down. It’s brutal viewing.

Both are similar type players to Kamara. When all 3 are together we are so slow at moving the ball that it’s grim viewing.

Kamara was decent tonight IMO

Our manager also stated final 30 wasn’t good. It’s not being negative. It’s being honest .

I started a thread on Sunday saying similar tbh.

I would prefer to see Itten with the full firing midfield for a while as well.

I've thought about it more, and think that while I dont like it at the moment, it is new, we need to learn how to play it. It is up to the subs coming on to find the tempo, or for the manager to time the subs to get maximum impact.

3-0 may be a good bet for those inclined to do it.

Do you ever post anything positive about Rangers?

Plenty.

Already said in another thread I was delighted with how ruthless we were tonight. Also great others are chipping in with goals.

No point pretending it was a great performance though. It wasn’t. Our own manager has said similar ...

Game won
24 degrees in the evening
Bad pitch on Sunday
We have depth

Yeah, I'm puzzled.

There has never been a raft of subs like that ever.
So I don’t think anyone understands what you’re talking about, including you.

Honestly it's like crazy town in here tonight.

The gaffer has been slated for not subbing for well over a year. Now he starts subbing to rest players (as we have almost 2 games a week till march) and he's slated.
To be honest Gerrard said himself he was not happy with the team after the subs, it's not just posters on here who are perfectly happy with the result but can see how badly they played in the last 30 mns.

I didn’t slate Kamara

My point was that Davis and Arfield together slow us right down. It’s brutal viewing.

Both are similar type players to Kamara. When all 3 are together we are so slow at moving the ball that it’s grim viewing.

Kamara was decent tonight IMO

Our manager also stated final 30 wasn’t good. It’s not being negative. It’s being honest .
Our manager also praised Davis and Arfield for trying to keep the tempo of the game up.

Davis in particular never connected with one single forward pass ... the game looks way too quick for him these days

We are all greedy for goals and i agree it looked like we were going to go on and hammer them until the changes but it was a good luxury to have to try and get match sharpness up in other players.

It’s going to be a squad game this season , last season we didn’t have strength in depth , this year we are beginning to get there so let’s give players minutes when we can.

Because the players suffered a collective burn out last season by playing near 40 games before Xmas and over 50 by mid March.

Looks like the coaching staff have realised that and are managing the load on the players.

Sensible decision game was over imo

Two things on the subs.

I’m surprised Gerrard chose to use all subs with half an hour to play when he didn’t need to. An injury could have left us with 25 mins of playing with 10 men. Hold 1 sub back at least til 10-15 to go particularly when you have the luxury of making 5 changes.

At the point the subs were made the team looked rampant. I’d have given them another 5 mins or possibly made the odd the change on the hour so as not to overly interrupt the flow of the game.

It’s nitpicking because it was a good night but I tend to agree that all of the changes at the same time maybe wasn’t for the best.

Although frustrating it's sensible from the manager.

Getting minutes in alot of players legs and gives the starters a rest before sunday

Fresh legs for the next game is the only option worth considering 3-0 up at home, with a potential bruising encounter with livingdung on Sunday.
I agree that Davis and Arfield slowed it down although i liked Ittens hold up play and the areas he got into and also Roofe looked like the run out was needed.
They linked up lovely in one moment and they will get better.

To be honest Gerrard said himself he was not happy with the team after the subs, it's not just posters on here who are perfectly happy with the result but can see how badly they played in the last 30 mns.

I get that. Honestly.
For me we are still gelling, early in the season and have the longest season in history coming up (hopefully). The only time we have been troubled was by a team that's miles ahead of us in talent, cash and fitness. I think we as a support should at least try to be positive for a change.

Two things on the subs.

I’m surprised Gerrard chose to use all subs with half an hour to play when he didn’t need to. An injury could have left us with 25 mins of playing with 10 men. Hold 1 sub back at least til 10-15 to go particularly when you have the luxury of making 5 changes.

At the point the subs were made the team looked rampant. I’d have given them another 5 mins or possibly made the odd the change on the hour so as not to overly interrupt the flow of the game.

It’s nitpicking because it was a good night but I tend to agree that all of the changes at the same time maybe wasn’t for the best.

You can only stop the game three times.

People know what's been happening for the past 4 months right?

We haven't had a proper pre season & the players didn't get much time at the training centre to get sharp.

it might slow us down a bit but getting players the game time needed is the best thing long term.

The standard of post on here this season is verging on insane. We have the game won and you’re worrying about Itten and Roofe not getting to play with out better players... I would love to hear gerrards reaction if you asked him that. He’d laugh at you ! Embarrassing. It really is.
Internet manager trying too hard to look like he’s outthinking the Rangers manager. Sitting looking at blank charts and figures scratching his head. “But I have all this info from training every day. I just can’t understand it”

Roofe needs a bit of sharpening up. Understandable bearing in mind that injury has prevented him playing competitively since last December. To me he looks like a penalty box striker - not someone who will drop off to link up play. I would not expect to see him play on Sunday, even as a sub, particularly because of the plastic pitch.

Can’t win.

Keeps the team the same and people moaning about new players not getting game time and not saving players from energy sapping heat.

Brings the new guys on at 3-0 and gives a few key players a rest. ‘But we were starting to click.’

Fresh legs and 3 points at the weekend is a million times more important than 5-0 tonight.

Back