Attacking Players Finally Click Then Subs

Took an age for Aribo, Hagi and Kent to really click but they started cooking then the usual raft of substitutions come on. I just don’t understand it.

Davis and Arfield slow the game down. They play backwards and don’t really extend themselves when they come on.

Felt for Itten, surely it makes sense for him to get game time with the likes of Aribo, Hagi and Kent on the pitch at the same time?

Roofe and Itten deserved to come On and play with the regulars.
If I didn’t see who had posted this, I’d have guessed between two of you.
Not much to complain about tonight but you’ve, expectedly, managed to find it and not mention anything positive.

OP we were not great tonight but 3 points was essential and we got them

As others have said it’s a long season and we have to rest players as much as we can

Sometimes it better to look at the long term goal and not a one off game

You can only stop the game three times.

True, you have 3 windows and presumably Gerrard’s hand was forced at half time into making the first change. But with 2 opportunities still to bring players on I’m surprised it wasn’t handled differently. You see time and time again that making too many changes interrupts momentum and in this instance might have left us short of players on the pitch for a significant period of the game.

Took an age for Aribo, Hagi and Kent to really click but they started cooking then the usual raft of substitutions come on. I just don’t understand it.

Davis and Arfield slow the game down. They play backwards and don’t really extend themselves when they come on.

Felt for Itten, surely it makes sense for him to get game time with the likes of Aribo, Hagi and Kent on the pitch at the same time?

I agreed with the subs at the time but it stalled the game.

OP is right. That’s twice now Itten has come on when the midfield was changed. I still haven’t a clue what he’s like thanks to the game being played in our own half after the subs came on.

We have got a heavy schedule of games coming up.

What would you have said if we kept the same team on and picked up injuries?

This forum is a fucking joke, we won 3-0.

The subs made perfect sense.

A potentially tough game at the weekend, tough weather conditions, game wrapped up...

Four at once was the issue for me. Too many and it disrupted our pattern of play. I thought we could have subbed on Roofe and Itten for Morelos and Hagi at half time. As fate dictated we had to bring on Helander instead. Nevertheless, I think Davis and Arfield could have waited until the 75 minute mark before coming on.

I also thought it a bit chancy to use all the subs with half an hour left to play.

Having 5 subs presents a great opportunity but I think we need to use them more wisely

I'm not a big fan of the 5 subs it does destroy the tempo of the game, but it was exactly the right thing to do all the players coming on needed minutes and there's no point in burning players out with the hard schedule we have
100% the correct decision even if it killed the momentum, game was done

that's why you're a top coach

Really not a fan of this 5 sub rule.

It will benefit us more than anyone else really. I am not a fan either but look who we brought on tonight. We will be able to do that again when they are all much fitter. That's a massive advantage.

You honestly don’t understand subs at 3-0 up whilst trying to get others involved, integrated and up to match sharpness?

True, you have 3 windows and presumably Gerrard’s hand was forced at half time into making the first change. But with 2 opportunities still to bring players on I’m surprised it wasn’t handled differently. You see time and time again that making too many changes interrupts momentum and in this instance might have left us short of players on the pitch for a significant period of the game.

If you make a sub at halftime you still have 3 chances to make subs in the second half. You can only stop the game 3 times, halftime the game is already stopped.

I understood making changes but I definitely wouldn’t have made 4 in one go. Said to my brother that would be the scoring done for the night seeing as we were changing nearly half the team and that included new players who’ll have barely played together, so it was obvious there would be little fluidity.

The subs did indeed cause the game to slow down big time, but we were winning 3-0 and guys like Roofe and Itten need playing time. That was probably the best time to test things out.

Let’s just trust the management and coaching staff ffs, obviously every cùnt is an expert on here as well... we can hardly introduce the new players in a 10/ twenty wanner up balliehouston park obviously I’ve spelt the parks name incorrectly

The game was won and it was an opportunity to get the likes of Arfield and Davis game time. Both are on their way out and legs are going, players like that need to play to get any semblance of sharpness as they'll be needed at some stage. I wouldn't have brought those two on though and would like to see them phased out of the team, but that's a call for Gerrard.

Frustrating because we wanted more goals but the changes were with the future in mind.

Ittent and Roofe though we need to get into the fold and give them match time, bringing them on at that stage was sensible.

Not only does it get more players match sharpness, it also keeps more players involved and keeps them motivated and ready to go when asked, I’m against the 5 subs rule, but whilst it’s there we should use it when games are ‘dead’.

Davis and Arfield slow is down big time. I sense they’ll be a source of frustration this season.

Add in Kamara beside them and it’s grim viewing
Kamara was the best player on the park last night. We don’t win a title without using Davis and Arfield. I sense your posts are likely to be a source of frustration.

Said the same after the last game, subs were a no brainer. They need game time and it keeps the current starters fresh. Up to the subs to try and make an impact.

Hindsight. Players coming on could have found their rhythm and we could have got 5 or 6. Just didn’t work out.

Game was done. Players like Davis, Itten and Roofe got minutes. Players like Kent, Alfie and Jack got a rest.

The tackle on Roofe shows exactly why SG took off the Aribo, Morelos, Jack.
St J we’re getting frustrated chasing shadows and were getting rash in the tackles.
Combined with others getting game time I can’t understand why anybody would suggest it was not a good decision.

I personally thought Davis looked bright and sharp when he came on and played at a good tempo. I don't understand what people are watching at times, it's clear a lot of people don't understand the game they are watching.
My thought process isn’t that Davis was bad, it’s that those 30 minutes could’ve been better served as game time for Patterson. I can see why Gerrard did it but personally I’d have liked to see Patterson get 30 minutesl

My thought process isn’t that Davis was bad, it’s that those 30 minutes could’ve been better served as game time for Patterson. I can see why Gerrard did it but personally I’d have liked to see Patterson get 30 minutesl

Davis and Arfield both need minutes mate.

They will both play a big part going forward, as Jack and Kamara will need a breather at times, constantly playing 2 games a week.

We need them firing.

I agree with giving players game time, and testing others but 4 subs in one go just disrupts the flow of the game.

No wonder it became stale.

Early season, Celtic not playing, get the wins and keep the team fresh.

At 3-0, I couldn't care less if we score another or not, prefer to get the next game in focus.

Theres a much bigger picture here OP. We were cruising, you'll see our top players taken off every week we are well in front to keep them fresh. What would be the point in wasting energy last night at 3 nil up when we go to the pasta disasta stadium on Sunday?

Can see where you are coming from but clearly the 5 guys who came on Gerrard feels they needed minutes as they are more likely to be involved in the upcoming games. We are just out of preseason so guys who are going to be involved more really need the competitive minutes in their legs.

Back